Used 1990 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Impressed
By In love with Honda

1990 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

Bought this great car from my uncle three years ago. almost 198,000 miles now and still running strong. Easy for self repairs and modifications. Great gas mileage with a peppy 2.0L four banger. Catches the eyes of street racers with a sleek long sporty body style. Really gets up and goes. A classic reliable Honda. Starts up in my hometown's 112 degree summers and our chilly sub freezing winters and handles like a dream in the snow and ice. Great car for travel or short commute. Only downside, used parts are hard to find in junk yards... But only because these cars are still on the road due to dependable Honda engineering.

Full power options. Excellent peripheral viewing for a safe drive. Aggressive body style. Hand brake, sports transmission, and Excellent Honda performance.

Very common rear quarter panel rust caused by chemicals in liquid ice melt on highways.

15 years and still going strong
By drewd

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accord new in 1990. The only major problem that I had was my own fault - the timing belt broke because I did not follow the scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, it cost about $1600 to fix, but that's the only significant problem that the car has ever had. It's protected my wife in two fairly serious accidents, even without airbags. It's been all over the US and treated us great! Every time we think about selling it, we just can't come up with a compelling reason - maybe it will just last forever!

Cold, cold, COLD air conditioning.

The auto transmission kind of sucks the performance out of it.

Gets funner with tuning
By Samir

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My first car and by far the best car my family has ever owned. Its been in 4 accidents totaled twice and I can still push it. It's easy to work on and get better performance with the abundance of aftermarket parts. I had mine repainted but it got scratched so the old white paint still shines new. With $50 in suspension worth it handles like a BMW. Comfort wise comparable to a Benz. I will be very, very, very sad when I sell her to get something newer.

Reliability, horspower, tunability, performance, comfort, and anything in between.

A/C is the only problem with older Accords, they die. Also not a good idea to run stock brakes when driving hard. Finally get rid of the speed govoner, stops at 112MPH.

Best Car I Ever Owned too!
By Automaniac

1990 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

Bought the 5-speed from first owner on 2/16, 68.9k miles on it, for $6.5k (down from 7.5) now 133k hard miles, cold starts, short distances, snowbelt. Could afford any new car, but was thinking of going overseas then, and did not want to take depreciation hit. Engine is a jewel, never had ANY problem. Drove cross country, DC to Seattle to Long Beach CA and back to DC, summer 03, few problems, top MPG. (32-36 hwy, at 65-85 mph). Can cruise all day @ 90 mph in utter comfort. Rust behind the rear wheels. Seldom braked down, but parts cost too much (timing belt, brakes, distributor, fuel pump, each $500 or so). Still, best car I ever owned, and low cost, due to rare failures and high quality.

Shifter is precise and a joy to use. Gauges (clear, excellent), overall quality, clean styling of coupe! Plenty of room in back and front, drove x-country, hauled a ton of stuff. Dependability, reliability, durability!

Many parts (timing belts, windshields, brakes, distributors, fuel pumps) should cost MUCH less. Toyota Camrys cost less for similar parts. Annoying antenna goes up and down unecessarily, even when you just use the tape or CD. Rust is unacceptable in such a high- quality car.

great car
By pete reno

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 120,000 miles. It now has 150,000 I have replaced the clutch, radiator and cv joints.It runs flawlessly! doesn't burn or leak any oil!!handles great. The transmission is tight as is the rest of the car. Avg 25-27 mpg city, 33-36 highway. When can I buy a diesel Accord!! I owned a 2000 jetta tdi nothing but problems!!! This car at 15 years old is a much better vehicle than the brand new vw.

ac rocks!!!! handles great. Paint is very durable.

Please someone tell honda to start selling the cdti diesel in the U.S.!!