1990 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Love it!
By koko2 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

good overall, very reliable

It was a lemon only a mother could love
By lemon lover on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

This car was a nightmare for the first 9 years - back to the dealer for multiple problems under warranty, 5 batteries in 6 years, stuck around 100 times times in 100 degree heat with a car that would not start. But other than that, it was a charm to drive. Was overcharged on repairs several times. Once I left the closest Honda dealer and found an independent or drove across town to the other dealer, the problems were solved and it has run flawlessly ever since. Sears battery is 7 years old and still going strong. Does need need motor mounts. I'm hoping to put another 100,000 miles on it. Makes a great second car.

Simple, reliable machine
By Snowbelt Survivor on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

With over 150,000 miles on it, our Honda's still running strong, and the steering is still tight and nimble. Uses zero quarts of oil between changes. Timing belt needs to be changed at regular intervals, and the slightest warping of your rotors will cause your steering wheel to shimmy going down the road. In the rust belt, the rear wheel well area rusts out even if the rest of your Honda's bohdy is in great shape. Water gets trapped in here with no way out. Fortunately, our local body shop cut out the rust and welded in new pre- formed sheet metal on both sides for under $800.

Best Car I've Owned
By scampbell on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car because I liked the way it looked and was impressed with its performance. The 5-speed manual transmission is smooth shifting and fun to drive, even at nearly 14 years old. We replaced the distributor at about 57k miles, then Honda sent us a letter telling us they would reimburse us for the expense. Wow! This is why I will buy another Honda product. When we replaced the timing belt at the recommended 90k intervals, we also replaced the water pump, seals, and had the valves adjusted. So far, almost 200k trouble-free miles in a car that still looks new.

Honda is good, when it runs
By rubrenbear on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a friend 2 years ago. The first few months of owning the car were not spent driving it. The car needed costly repairs such as timing belts, battery changed 3 times, ignitor switch, starter and alternator. Once fixed it stopped entirely. It was towed to the nearest shop but nothing was wrong. An hour later, we tried starting it and it magically was fine! Arrg! I've had this car 2 years and it almost feels like I'm making monthly payment on this car.

Man, this car was awful.
By LemonHonda on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I had an immeasurable amount of trouble with this car. I had oil leaks from three seperate spots, a broken resonating thinger (chamber? I forget, but it made a heck of a lot of noise). My muffler broke off a piece and spat it back into the pipe, I had a leaky trunk (compounded by a faulty drain, making a huge puddle), I had to replace the mesh part of the exhaust pipe, had to replace the clutch, had a torn CV boot, improper idling, broken reverse gear, had a blown head gasket, and had a massive problem with the radiator (which I did not fix before getting rid of the car). All this at 115k miles and proper maintenance.

Reliable Car with CV boot problems
By Thebirdman on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord DX 2dr Coupe

The 1990 Honda Accord is a very reliable car with very little mechanical problems. The only problems you will have with this car are the cv boots and the paint. The CV boots will not last very long and the paint will fade on the hood and around the tires.

so far so good
By sweetcheeks on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 123,000 on it, now has 176,000 and the problems are starting to occur, which I guess should be expected at such high miles. Things I have had to fix in the last year. 1. had to install new speed sensor. 2. alternator had to be replaced. 3. front cv joints. Power drivers window no longer works. Seems to be some problem with the electrical system, I am constantly putting new bulbs in brake, side marker and parking lights. Power locks, sometimes car will lock when shutting door, always have spare keey!! Lots of front end noise although I have had it inspected and there is nothing wrong! All in all though this has been an excellent reliable car.

Best Value On The Road
By HPS on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I'm the original owner of my Honda; purchased with just 6 miles on the odometer, it now has over 122K. The car has been an oustanding vehicle. I was so satisifed I bought a second, new Honda Accord in 2000. If Honda continues to keep up the quality and value, I will be a Honda owner for life.

Hate to sell it
By bobby24j on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new for my wife. It's been the best car I've ever owned, which includes Buick, Chevrolets, Fords, Chrysler, Nissan and a few others. I've never had a major mechanical problem...only routine maintenance, including oil/filter changes every 3,000 miles. It's got about 116,000 miles on it and drives like new. My wife wants a new car just because 'she wants a new car' (go figure...it's a genetic femaie thing). When that happens, I might just keep our '90 Accord because I like it so much.