Used 1990 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1990 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

One of the best cars I ever owned
By MtnRoad

1990 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I had the base model with 4cyl engine, 5spd manual, and pw / pdl. The car was amazing. I have since sold it but wanted to mention this car was one of the best I ever owned. I woukd take into the dealer for oil changes and ask if there was anything else they recommended and they would also say no after the inspection. It just ran and ran. I never had any problems with the car. Engine in my opinion was under-powered in low gears with the manual shift but once I got up to cruising speed it performed well. Highway cruising and fuel mileage was excellent. I drove from Los Anegles to Phoenix on a little over a half tank. Yes it is true that really happened. A nice tail wind, no traffic, and at night no less but it did happen. I couldn't believe my own eyes when looking at the gas gauge. The interior was pretty stout and the seats were really comfortable. My car was white and the paint was in excellent shape when I sold it. One concern I have now after doing some research online is I found out the 4cyl uses a timing belt and it should have been changed to prevent engine damage on the old one breaking and the dealer never recommended this to me. The timing belt never broke under my ownership thank God but considering the mileage and use I put on that car I am surprised it never did. I always thought it had a chain but found out it was a belt. The only complaint I would have is the power radio antenna stopped retracting. I also noticed on every accord of the same time frame they had the same issue. And my late 80's model Acura was the same. Crap motor on that Honda item but overall these cars are gems and even to this day I see many of them on the road. Just saw a station wagon model the other day I never knew they made those. I would recommend this Honda Accord model to anyone.

Best Car Ever Made
By Bryan Bernstel

1990 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This car has, on more than one occasion, saved my life and always kept running even when it seemed it was going to give up. Reliable and easy to fix.

Nothing like it!
By Tina Yake

1990 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car since 1990. You got it, it was brand spanking new. After 8 years, I gave it to my mom to use. I have since gotten it back, 24 yrs later. I had a mechanic look it over before driving it from California to Kansas. The only thing it needed was a new main relay, an ac charge and 4 new tires. For insurance sake, I had him replace the timing belt and water pump.

The acceleration is just like when I first bought it. Handling is still smooth. All our mechanics told us that if there was a Honda model to own, it was that.

I own a 1996 Accord and a 2006 Odyssey and both vehicles, cosmetically suck. We have had more issues with the newer models than my 1990 Accord.

Miss my Honda!
By got2bekylee

1990 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I was so sad when i had to get rid of my Honda. The only downside is my A/C didn't work when i got it in 08'. Which didn't bother me too much.
I only got rid of it because i had a baby and needed something a little bigger and cooler for the summer. I would still have it if i could afford to insure multiple cars. It ran better than my 03' Saturn and my 99' Kia. The gas mileage is also a huge plus with this car. It would be a great first car or just something for work and/or school. I would highly recommend this little old car.

I loved everything about this car apart from the A/C not working.

Wish they would have put cup holders in there and some kind of improvement on the A/C. (could have also been the owner before me)

Runs Forever!
By mjsstanley

1990 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I have owned two 90 and one 91 Accord . One wrecked at 376,000 miles and was still going like new . These cars were built for the road . I travel 400 miles to NC at least three times a year . I have a 90 now with 192,000 miles on it and I haven't had to do anything to it ! Starts right up in the coldest weather . All have been 5 speed manual transmission , which is really better than the automatic . All Hondas will last forever if you keep up the regular maintenance , which isn't expensive at all .

Sunroof and alloy wheels on the EX , cruise control is awesome on the highway , dashboard and panel control set up .

The sport mode on the automatic transmission is really crappy after a while . I can promise you that you will end up replacing the transmission computer . Also , if living in snowy areas , you must regularly check behind the rear tires in the quarter panel for water build up which will caise rust .