2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord Hybrid model:

Quiet ride (but...) and great gas mileage
By G. Ford

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2017 Accord Hybrid EX-L is my first hybrid car. The average gas mileage has met or exceeded the sticker ratings. While mileage can be lower at highway speeds, it often catches up quickly with some 35-50 MPH driving after leaving the highway. This car is QUIET when operating on battery only - wow! Cool! But... over 60 MPH you will hear more wind noise than you may be used to with other cars, as there is less engine noise. Good ride, nice handling, good acceleration in Sport mode, excellent gas mileage, comfortable, and controls similar to other Honda models. Some quality control issues: our car had a defect in the driver-side door gasket that created extra wind noise (now fixed under warranty), and still has an intermittent annoying rattle (like a bolt vibrating on a hard plastic tray) somewhere in the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel - we are trying to figure out how to reproduce it reliably so that it can be fixed. The Lane Keeping Assist System is cool, but it tends to "snake" a bit within a lane, so I don't use it. The Adaptive Cruise Control is great - slowing down when the car in front of you slows down on the highway. Trunk space is a bit smaller than other Accords to make room for the battery, but has been fine for our needs so far. Comes with a battery-powered tire inflator instead of a spare tire (to save weight and cost?), but we don't mind that. It IS fun to drive, and we love the gas mileage and correspondingly lower global warming emissions.

Poor mileage
By Rich

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 2,000 miles my car is getting 20 percent lower mileage than sticker, whether highway or in-town. Honda says this is normal. I've had two Toyota hybrids that matched or exceeded their stickered mileage. Honda will not work with me about correcting the problem. The car is otherwise comfortable to drive, but rather numb in handling. It has too many distracting screens, although some can be turned off.

The Honda Unicorn
By Sid

To get the best MPG out of this car, just drive it normally as you would any other car. I'm averaging 46.5 per the computer over the first 2300 miles, but going by my gas fill ups, i'm getting 48.0 MPG driving around in Orange County with a 70/30 highway/city mix. Over my 60 mile daily commute, I've seen a best of ~ 63 MPG in slow I-5 traffic and a worst of 41 MPG driving on the 133/241 toll roads through the mountains, low 50s are very common. It can average ~60 MPG if driven at 55 - 60 mph over mostly flat, smooth roads. Bumpy/rough roads seem to lower the mileage significantly. ECON mode also lowers MPG, yes lowers! The power delivery is strong and linear, car is very responsive (esp in Sport mode) the car is also very quiet on the highway (except when going uphill) with hardly any wind/tire noise. Handling is crisp, nimble and secure for my driving style, ride is comfortable but slightly on the stiff side - the chassis has a solid, well integrated feel. Braking feels a tiny bit weaker than my excellent 2016 CR-V but very normal. To maximize engine efficiency Honda seems to have cleverly programmed it to rev the engine up/down constantly instead of keeping it a steady light load (bad for efficiency) - whenever the engine runs it's mostly under higher-loads and wider throttle - any excess energy is stored in the battery for later use when cruising. Also they smartly use battery power to cruise rather than accelerate - that way the battery energy logs more miles - the engine does the acceleration duties because it can do so with higher efficiency. Therefore, to maximize MPG, I accelerate to cruising speed quickly using the engine and then stay in EV while cruising. I've seen better MPG if I climb uphill stretches briskly spending the battery and then coast downhill to recover the energy. The AC controls are very frustrating - no knobs, no touch bumps - so you have to take your eyes off the road to set fan speed or vent direction (a very inconsiderate design decision by Honda's engineers), also the vent direction control display scrolls from right to left as you keep pressing the button, instead of left to right as you'd intuitively expect it (again thoughtless decision by Honda's engineers). This is my only negative so far. I am very happy with this car. Oh and yes the trip computer consistently underestimates MPG by ~ 1.3 which was pleasantly surprising.

OMG! I LOVE THIS CAR!
By BigR

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just traded my 2014 RLX in for this super amazing Accord! Soooooooooo good on gas and really fun to drive! Really am happy about this purchase and it was 1/2 the price of my RLX. Love! It! Lynnwood Honda in WA state goes above and beyond to make the buying experience great! From the sales to the detail shop. Happy customer. Just a side note I'm 6'2 and 280lbs and fit great in the new accord.

RIP OFF
By Mary

My brand new hybrid is not delivering the mileage it promised. I'm going through gas like crazy.