So far so good, question about Battery Gauge
By dothetime on
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Just picked up my Accord Hybrid Touring edition a few days ago. Quiet, smooth, reasonable power. I have a question to you other owners. I can't get my hybrid battery gauge above 6 bars, and gas mileage above 40 MPG Does your gauge go to the full 8 bars? I'd like to know before I ask the dealer. Came out of a Mercedes E350, not the same standard of luxury, but I love all the techno gadgets.
Favorite Features
Pandora, phone capabilities, adaptive cruise.
Suggested Improvements
Higher level of interior finish.
By wmgb_joe
on 01/24/14 15:53 PM (PST)

I have to agree on the MPG/weather link. I just took a trip to TN to visit my daughter, and the temperature was in the low 20's to low 30's during the trip out. The engine runs to heat the car, and as a result, we experienced 33.3 MPG on the way out. On the way back, the outside temperature started at 22 deg., and ended up at 59 deg. six hours later when we got home. The MPG on the way home was 42.5. It seems the MPG is really reflected in the outside temperature and how much the engine must run to heat the car. I only see the full 8 bars occassionally. I did see this on the way back from TN while going down Afton Mountain, and have seen it driving in the local flatlands when I shift to "B" while exiting the Interstate. I saw it today on the way home, after stopping to get groceries, then drove in EV mode the rest of the way home and it said I was getting 82 MPG. I've seen it start out in EV mode, and show as high as 199 MPG, but I think that is a result of software defects. I guess "your mileage may vary" is an understatement for this vehicle!

By bandyrich
on 04/29/14 06:05 AM (PDT)

We love our Honda Accord Hybrid! We live in the inter-mountain west and regularly average around 45-47 MPG per tank. The up and down driving of the area does have an effect on the mileage. One thing that I've noticed is that when the cabin heater is being used the MPG drops...interestingly, once the engine is warmed up, you can turn the heater off and still keep the cabin warm. Comfort is adequate in these conditions. The A/C does not seem to effect the mileage much. The only way we've achieved the great mileage is to keep the heater off unless it is really needed. On a recent 297 miles trip, we left Idaho Falls and went over the pass to Jackson. We then drove around Jackson, Wy, went to the Gros Ventres slide area, and drove back home through the "Hoback". 48.8 mpg is crazy!!!!!! However, I am a little worried about the car in steep mountain passes. Even with the gear selector in "B" mode I felt I had to do perform excess breaking to keep the speed down. We chose to go around the pass on the way back home. Also, the engine racing noise is a little obtrusive, but is easy to get use to. Like I told my wife when she said she could here the engine revving....Hun, you need to turn the radio up!!!

By stl_honda
on 01/20/14 09:50 AM (PST)

I own a 2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L with almost 4,000 miles put on it. Yes it will go over 6 bars but likely only on a long downhill with a lot of regenerative breaking. Driving through the mountains I got a full charge several times. I think I've only had a full charge once when I wasn't driving on a downhill. Also your MPG will go up significantly once warmer weather sets in. In colder weather I try to use the seat heaters and leave the climate control off. This will boost your MPG significantly by allowing the car to go into EV mode right away.

By tropwes
on 01/28/14 11:03 AM (PST)

The MPG is definitely all about the heat. The heat is purely coming from the warm engine so if you can manage to not use the heat and stick to the heated seats you will experience a much higher mpg. I have been achieving 44mpg running at 65mph in 12 degrees in NJ, but only if I leave the heat off and get used to the cool. Meanwhile, the guage has much to do with the 80/20 rule of batteries in general. As with the electric cars, the ideal charge is 80% max and the ideal lowest it should go down is 20%. This is to keep the battery as efficient as possible for the longest period of years. If it constantly went to 100% and down to 0%, you would degrade the battery much faster from what I have read about the battery technology and this and all the other electric/hybrid cars.

By dat4life
on 04/22/14 06:27 AM (PDT)

I've been getting about 48 mpg in mixed driving, then the temperature dipped below freezing for a couple of days and it plummeted to about 36 mpg. As far as the battery gauge, I have once or twice gotten all 8 bars in suburban driving with long rolling stops and sprinkled in with a good dose of braking.