2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Accord-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord Hybrid model:

DON'T BELIEVE THE GAS MILEAGE HYPE!
By benseay

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was sold on the MPG numbers, but my Accord gets 34mpg hwy and 40 city. I took it back to Hendrick Honda and they gave me a lecture on potential poor driving habits. They said they checked everything and all was fine. This is my fifth Honda Accord so I have come to expect a certain degree of service and reliability. I FEEL BETRAYED BY HONDA. I don't know who these people who claim high MPG are. Hendrick Honda will not do a thing about mine though. ROY at Hendick Honda in Easley, SC was rude and condescending. For me it's ZERO or HERO. I give the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid a "ZERO".

Favorite Features

Thoroughly disgusted.

Suggested Improvements

Fraudulent MPG rating. Steering is loose. CVT Transmission is jerky and unpredictable which makes for an uncomfortable ride. Higher than normal cabin noise. Unprofessional after-the-sale service. Rent one for a week or two first. Then decide if you want to buy.

Overcharging noise? Any other experience?
By hondadj

There are quite a few reviews on here, I have to say I agree with them all. While the car isn't perfect in terms of transitions, you get use to it. My mileage is the same as most.. If it's cold I get in the high 30s and if I turn off the climate system I get 45-55 depending on hills. My real concern is more in the form of a question for other owners. When going down a long hill, once the battery reaches max charge, my charging system or whatever is running in regenerative mode, seem to get louder and louder. At first I thought it was overheating the charging system, but as soon as you bring the battery down a bar the charging sounds normal again until you hit max charge again. Anyone?

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is so high, it make the car fun to drive! I also love the handling. It corners really well!

Suggested Improvements

The computer/Nav system is slow, and often gets confused to the point it basically malfunctions until you turn the car off and restart. You have to be REALLY patient with it. I love the car, so I put up with it, but for 35k it should work ;)

Not What I expected
By larryhat1

This is the 4th Hybrid car that I have owned. The other 3 were Lexus ES300H, Lexus CT200H, and a 2012 Camry Hybrid. All previous models got the exact MPG that they stated they would give. This Accord with 5k miles on it, isn't even close. I'm averaging 39 mpg. When I talked to the service department at my local dealer, they gave me the old Ford answer...you have to break it in? Wow! The other 3 I did not have to break in...why would you a Honda? Also, I am getting a loud popping noise out of the drivers side front end. At the end of the day, this car has some nice features for safety...but it is certainly not worth more that $6k more that the Camry Hybrid.

Favorite Features

Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Change Warning, and the camera in the side view mirror is the best safety advance in many years!

Suggested Improvements

Car rides stiff. Doesn't get the expected MPG. And the body style on the touring model is just so, so.

2014 Accord Hybrid Touring MPG WTF
By rsxing

I purchased 2 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring sedans for my house hold and neither one has gotten close to 50 mpg. I installed the HFP 19 wheels with Continental ContiSport 3's on my Touring sedan (from my old Accord coupe) so I can forgive that car of under whelming me in the MPG dept. But with that in mind the car seems to hesitate a lot during highway speeds above 55 MPH. Not sure what sure what the cause of this is. The other car has achieved 42 MPG once and averages 37. The driver of this car is VERY conservative so the problem isn't how the sedan is being driven. I hope that this a break in period thing. Neither car drives in EV mode more than %10 of the time.

Favorite Features

The ride! These cars ride nice and tight and are quiet as can be. Honda has done an excellent job of keeping the road noise\Atkinson motor whine out of the cabin. The build quality is solid and the sound system is really decent.

Suggested Improvements

Software update for infotainment system. This is one wacky NAV system for how much this car cost. Very frustrating to use and if you get impatient with button\knob pushing it protests and won't work until next engine reboot. Some kind\any kind of Hybrid drive train update to get the most out of the EV motors. These cars rarely use EV mode because the battery doesn't seem to hold enough charge for more EV capacity.

A balance of Economy and Performance
By stl_honda

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've put nearly 10,000 miles on my Accord Hybrid so far. I've averaged about 46 MPG with many of those miles coming over the recent cold winter. Using the heat can really take a hit especially on shorter trips. In the summer months I've averaged 60-65 MPG in town. On several road trips I've averaged right around 45 MPG.

Favorite Features

Comfort, handling, amazing MPG especially for the size and power of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Improve voice recognition, better infotainment functionality. less engine revving when accelerating.