Used 2003 GMC Yukon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Gmc Yukon - Consumer Reviews

2003 GMC Yukon SUV

View reviews for a specific Yukon model:

2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
By Webhead

2003 GMC Yukon SUV SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Our Yukon has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It rides like a dream, looks good, performs well, has tons of space, and can work hard. It's the all-around perfect vehicle in my opinion. Great for trips and I feel like my family is safe. We just replaced the original Michelin tires with the same model. They ride great and last forever. We bought it with 55k miles on it and it now has 108k miles. This year we repaired the A/C for around $250. No other problems at all. As far as Mpg, we get 16-18 which I think is fine for such a large and safe vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfort, power options, size, versatility, reliability, power, safety

Suggested Improvements

The leather seating tends to rip on the driver side seat. Ours and many others I've seen have this issue.

Used Yukon SLT, No Regrets!
By clm

2003 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

What can I say? This is probably one of the best vehicles we have ever owned. We replaced a 2002 Altima, due to needing a new family "truckster". This SUV has it all (every option except DVD and Nav). This vehicle only had 66K miles and is just breaking in. Quality and comfort are second to none. We especially like the fact that GMCs in general are a happy medium between luxury and work horses. We test drove a comparable Escalade and honestly passed it up because this SUV just "felt" better. No need to worry about cheap chrome accents, skinned bumpers, etc. Plenty of space, power, features, and drives like new. Can't say enough good things.

Favorite Features

Power and memory functions. Wife and I are quite different in height, and it's nice to have everything automagically set, including pedals. Third row is great, and general use of space has been maximized. Looks mint for being 7 years old.

Suggested Improvements

Backup sensors. Can be a bit daunting backing up. Of course gas mileage would be nice, but compare it to comparables like the Expedition and Durango (can actually see fuel needle move) and it's actually quite good on gas for it's size and weight. If gas is of concern for you, SUVs are not for you

Greates car ever!
By rick123

2003 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Wow has this car ever been by far the best I have EVER had. We bought it 3 years used and it was like brand new. Never had been in a crash or anything. The car has lots of power and options. Ours had leather interior, 7 inch flip down dvd system, bose sound, heated front seats, towing package, and much more. I loved this car. Last summer we moved and was hauling massive loads of stuff and the car pulled hills like it was nothing. The only problem we had with it was we were on vacation and the steering pump went out. We do not have it today because the payments were to much and had to trade it off sadly. I now have the money to buy it back and looking for the dealership.

Favorite Features

Everything! Dvd, Sound system, heated leather seats, rear air, third row seats, lot of power

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Not worth the money
By kdhuston

2003 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This was a fabulous vehicle but as soon as the warranty came up it's slowly falling apart. Within 2 weeks of the warranty my transmission went out then 2 weeks after that my rear end went out at 69,000 miles. The motor in the driver side window has gone out and the passenger is on it's way. The side panel on the drivers side is pulling apart from the door and the vynal on the dash is starting to peel off. The air vents are cracking and beginning to break and the seats are starting to wear thin. My husband has had his Acura for 8 years and the interior still looks new. I take really good care of it. It's made with cheap products and corners were clearly cut. Won't buy American again.

Favorite Features

Lots of interior space. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

More Quality interior products to match with the price of the vehicle.

Only buy it if you like ongoing repairs
By Rick

2003 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

One problem after another with this vehicle. Rear air shock ($800), cat converters ($1500), rear axle seal (? $). This is the second GM SUV we have owned and the previous one had issues as well. Never again! We were simply sick of wondering what the next repair bill would be for this truck. We recently dumped this vehicle for a 2006 Honda Pilot. It our Pilot lives up to the normal reliability Honda provides, our piece of mind is worth the loss we took when trading in the Yukon.

Favorite Features

Gobs of power (but it comes with the high price of dismal gas mileage)

Suggested Improvements

Improve mechanical build. When the original MSRP is $35K+, I expect more. Every manufacturer is subject to problems, but the issues in GM products (especially as they age) quickly rack up repair costs in the thousands of dollars.