Used 2001 GMC Yukon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Yukon SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon model:

reliable and quality
By z_auto

2001 GMC Yukon SUV Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali. I am the second owner having bought it at 35k miles. Now at 180k miles, the only items I have replaced are the water pump at 125k, rear evaporator at 170k and fuel pump at 178k & a few interior switches: brakes, tires and shocks as needed. Otherwise, just regular maintenance of all fluids. I use synthetic fluids exclusively; oil every 7-8k miles, trans fluid change every 50k, differentials, ps, brake fluid at 100k., brakes, shocks and other wear items. I average 14 MPG city/suburban driving and 16-17 MPG highway. Long term ownership costs even including gas have made this an economical vehicle.

With the Autoride computer controlled suspension, this is still by far one of the best handling truck-based SUVs I have ever driven. It is stable at high speeds, has plenty of power, corners well while handling bumps extremely well. I have the short wheelbase model which makes it easy to park in urban environments and parking garages, yet it can still fit 8 passengers when I install the removable third row. I prefer the full-time mechanical AWD system (3WD worst case) on this vehicle (locking center and rear diff, open front diff) instead of the electronic (locking rear, open front and center diff) of the 2004-up models which make it a 2WD in certain conditions.

'Buck rogers' interior switch gear typical of this generation GM truck and quality of some interior appointments are typical of this period, but definitely date this vehicle.

Still running strong
By Still running strong

2001 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I got my yukon In 2007 and it is still running great with 149000 mile. The Cd player skips intermittently but the radio still works. Nice body style Very comfortable love the lumbar support and heated seats. sounds like a big truck but drives smooth. tows well and turns tight.takes a few to pick up speed but once it gets going is got power. hate the bad gas millage 12-16 mpg but fits a lot of stuff seats 7 plus driver 3rd row is better for kids. with the third row seats out was able to fit a table chair 2dressers a lamp 2 guitars and 2 suit cases with room to spare. If you take care of it it should last. getting tune up hope that helps a little with gas mileage

middle storage, power every thing comfy leather seats, rear AC and rear plug-ins for games chargers and MP3 players

BETTER gas Mileage and better pick up and acceleration

5.3 L GMC Yukon SLT
By brandon

2001 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall, a pretty good SUV... The 5.3 V8 gives you the horsepower you want. Gas mileage is the only downside, I average 14 with heavy city driving. I previously owned a 2004 Avalanche with the 5.3 V8 and I averaged 16.7, and I wish that my Yukon averaged that, because I was happy with 17. I recently replaced my O2 sensors (rear), as they were going bad, and improved my gas mileage by 2 MPG. I think I am going to get a K&N high-flow air filter. I had it on my truck, and I improved my gas mileage by about 1.5-2 MPG. I also noticed a little bit of a performance increase. Summary: Great car, just wish it got better gas mileage.

5.3 V8, Very comfortable interior, pretty solid.

Better gas mileage.

Some problems with my Yukon
By cboshdave

2001 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall, it has been an decent vehicle. Although, my transmission went out at 42,000 miles requiring a replacement. My biggest gripe is the emergency brake. We need it on boat ramps and it just doesn't work. It is a weird system with separate ebrake pads. I usually do this work myself. I guess I am going to have to break down and take it in.

Comfortable ride and generally good features.

Emergency brake design not end user friendly. The 1500 suspension is a little soft if you plan on pulling. Motor is great though.

6 years later and i still love it
By brian

2001 GMC Yukon SUV Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love the interior with its attention to detail. The exterior just commands attention and it has plenty of power. I pull a 6200 lb. camper with ease. In 136,437 miles Iíve had two problems. One with the drive line ($500) and the other with the air conditioner ($900). And the Bose system is one of the best factory sound systems that I have ever heard.

I bought my Denali new over six years ago and I still have strangers telling me that it is a beautiful vehicle. Thatís my favorite feature.

Get rid of the 3rd row seats. Theyíre not usable anyway because of the small space. I leave my out.