Used 1996 GMC Yukon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Gmc Yukon - Consumer Reviews

1996 GMC Yukon SUV

View reviews for a specific Yukon model:

orginal owner/wish they still offered 2dr Z71 model!
By jrr11

1996 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 165,000 miles on my 96 4x4 2dr Yukon I bought new in late 1996. I've never had any major problems with this truck and it just keeps on going. I did buy a replacement"life time waranty" GM starter and alt early on...that was a good move as i have gone through 3 alternators over the 15 yr span. Only minor repairs to what has been the most reliable vehicle i've ever owned. I get offers all the time to sell it as the 2 door models are becoming rare. I love this short wheel base 4x4, as it goes through about anything. I can't believe GM does not offer a short wheel base 2 dr 4x4 SUV with honest off road capability anymore. There are a lot of us that still covet them!

The Best
By Dasman

1996 GMC Yukon SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck at 99000 miles on it. The dealership was ready to wholesale it. I needed an truck for my business so I bought it. It just turned 200,000 miles and besides the regular maintence (brakes, tires, battery, Alternator) This is the best trucj I ever had. It rides great the leather seats are comfortable, (although they are cracking) It keeps its good looks and performs just great. If I ever have to get rid of it, i'm buying another GMC Yukon or Suburban. I ope GMC keeps the quality as good as this.

Suggested Improvements

wood grain in the interior

Solid truck
By JimC

1996 GMC Yukon SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with 75,000 miles and it now has nearly 175,000. I love this truck. Comfortable, big as an aircraft hangar inside. I have towed many antique cars up and down mountains and the old GM 350ci engine can't be beat. Very little pickup - sometimes need to stand on the accelerator. But I have beat the crap out of that engine and it doesn't even burn oil. Surprisingly, the tranny is still OK after all those miles and all that towing. Did have significant A/C rebuild at 120k, but that's all the major stuff. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Huge interior, 350ci engine is totally reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Better A/C - needs more vents and better cooling. Brake rotors warp way too often. But you can replace them yourself. Would be geat to have 4- wheel disks.

Great SUV - 4WD Yukon
By 1996 GMC Yukon

1996 GMC Yukon SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Great car. Great ride! Super performance, will pull anything! Great family car, farm vehicle, contractor utility or just all around luxury. Take it anywhere from the swamps to the white tie dinner! It will never embarass you or let you down. Take care of it and it will take care of you!

Like my Yuke
By DickMurphy

1996 GMC Yukon SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased it from 2nd owner, young woman, was local dealer offlease truck. 87K. Logged over 46K since. Mild off-road use, super comfortable on long trips. Decent gas mileage considering its size, power, and era it was made (gas was cheap). I like the "old" platform better than the new one. This is one of the last of the simple truck models, good old reliable 350. It doesn't tick, knock, burns a little oil but that is normal for a GM 350 this old. Always keep the maintenance up. Only mechanical issue was worn out fuel sending unit, cost $370 to replace w/new one. Door hinge pins. Great truck, can put lots of people or stuff in it, go anywere in any type of wthr.

Favorite Features

Compass and awesome stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter head lights, stronger hinge pins.