1996 GMC Yukon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon model:
orginal owner/wish they still offered 2dr Z71 model!
By jrr11 on 10/15/11 10:44 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 165,000 miles on my 96 4x4 2dr Yukon I bought new in late 1996. I've never had any major problems with this truck and it just keeps on going. I did buy a replacement"life time waranty" GM starter and alt early on...that was a good move as i have gone through 3 alternators over the 15 yr span. Only minor repairs to what has been the most reliable vehicle i've ever owned. I get offers all the time to sell it as the 2 door models are becoming rare. I love this short wheel base 4x4, as it goes through about anything. I can't believe GM does not offer a short wheel base 2 dr 4x4 SUV with honest off road capability anymore. There are a lot of us that still covet them!

The Best
By Dasman on 09/28/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck at 99000 miles on it. The dealership was ready to wholesale it. I needed an truck for my business so I bought it. It just turned 200,000 miles and besides the regular maintence (brakes, tires, battery, Alternator) This is the best trucj I ever had. It rides great the leather seats are comfortable, (although they are cracking) It keeps its good looks and performs just great. If I ever have to get rid of it, i'm buying another GMC Yukon or Suburban. I ope GMC keeps the quality as good as this.

Solid truck
By JimC on 08/10/07 21:38 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with 75,000 miles and it now has nearly 175,000. I love this truck. Comfortable, big as an aircraft hangar inside. I have towed many antique cars up and down mountains and the old GM 350ci engine can't be beat. Very little pickup - sometimes need to stand on the accelerator. But I have beat the crap out of that engine and it doesn't even burn oil. Surprisingly, the tranny is still OK after all those miles and all that towing. Did have significant A/C rebuild at 120k, but that's all the major stuff. Great truck!

Great SUV - 4WD Yukon
By 1996 GMC Yukon on 07/05/07 10:46 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Great car. Great ride! Super performance, will pull anything! Great family car, farm vehicle, contractor utility or just all around luxury. Take it anywhere from the swamps to the white tie dinner! It will never embarass you or let you down. Take care of it and it will take care of you!

Like my Yuke
By DickMurphy on 08/26/06 23:22 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased it from 2nd owner, young woman, was local dealer offlease truck. 87K. Logged over 46K since. Mild off-road use, super comfortable on long trips. Decent gas mileage considering its size, power, and era it was made (gas was cheap). I like the "old" platform better than the new one. This is one of the last of the simple truck models, good old reliable 350. It doesn't tick, knock, burns a little oil but that is normal for a GM 350 this old. Always keep the maintenance up. Only mechanical issue was worn out fuel sending unit, cost $370 to replace w/new one. Door hinge pins. Great truck, can put lots of people or stuff in it, go anywere in any type of wthr.

Drive It Till the Wheels Fall Off
By gofigure on 05/22/06 11:45 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr SUV

Bought my '96 GMC Yukon in '98 with 36,000 miles on it. I now have 165,000 on the odometer and it still is the most dependable vehicle I own. I have replaced the transmission at 125,000 miles. Uses no oil and never fails to start and run. New trucks should be made like this. I intend to drive it till it dies or the wheels fall off.

God Bless Them Yukons
By sugadashane on 12/26/05 04:44 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 96 Yukon and I just bought it about a week ago, a long time Chevy/GMC fan I just love this truck. It has a 6 inch lift and is chipped and ram aired to get me 350hp on the dyno. Truly not a force to be messed with. Will go through anything anytime anywhere.

I love it anyway
By Betsy on 12/12/05 00:03 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my truck new 9 1/2 years ago... now has 148,000 miles on it... Up until this year, had very few repairs, but this year, I have replaced brakes, alternator, battery and the fuel pump twice. Just spent $1300 to get rid of a "Service engine soon" light, and I still have the light... So I get my 2nd fuel pump this week. Other than that, I love my truck, but feel it may not be as reliable as I'd like... May need to buy new. It also eats a ton of gas!

Great SUV
By Jeff on 06/06/05 01:30 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV

I bought this truck with 96,000 miles on it. It now has 120,000 miles. The problems that I have had with it: 1) Thermal actuator switch for front axle. (4x4 only) 2) Fuel pump failed. The 4x4 actuator switch cost me $200 to replace. I did the work myself. The fuel pump failed after running it out of gas.

Smiling GMC Yukon Owner
By Elated Alaskan on 04/07/05 11:17 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle used in September '99 with almost 44,000 miles on it. The vehicle had been leased for 3 years when new. Lease owners kept it in immaculate condition. All I did was buy new set of tires, thats it! Alaskan winters can be rough on a vehicle, and after 3 winters, I had to change the 4wd selector. My wife & I drove 12,400 miles down the Alaska highway to Waco,TX & back. We changed the oil 4 times in 6 weeks,averaged 18.4 MPG driving the interstate highways at 75 mph and never missed a beat. As of 4/05, it's showing 78,500 miles on the odometer. We had a thorough 60,000 mile check on the Yukon before the big tour in Sept.2003. Had the brakes changed before big trip...since then my 96 Yukon has performed flawlessly. We couldnt be happier.