Used 2011 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 GMC Yukon XL

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Great for a Big SUV, Still Prefer a Minivan
By undy6

2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

I buy new cars fairly often (every 1-2 yrs) and I've been flipping back and forth between SUV's and Minivans for about 7 yrs now. It's because I can't get all the features I love in one or the other. As far as this SUV goes it's my usual love/hate relationship. I've had this vehicle for about 4 months now and highly doubt I'll keep it past 6 - 9 months bc I just hate big SUV's. If you're a big SUV or truck person I think it's probably fantastic. I prefer more of a mid-size SUV or Minivan height myself. Yes, minivans are super goober and I swore I wouldn't be caught dead driving one ever. Four kids later and the practicality of minivans just turns me on!

Favorite Features

I love the super smooth ride, powerful V8 engine, comfortable seats, tech features including 2 overhead TV screens and amazing Bose stereo system, separately-opening tailgate window, power folding side mirrors, feels very solid and safe, very little road noise, OnStar is awesome, great for road trips bc plenty of storage space, air-conditioned seats rock during hot TX summers, lots of luxury features at a much lower price and cheaper car insurance than the Escalade, the narrow second row doors are easier to open in small parking spaces

Suggested Improvements

Steering feels pretty loose to me with lots of body roll & sloppy handling (as to be expected with a land yacht I'm sure), Second row captain's chairs do not slide, parking sensors on front bumper would be very helpful, difficult to maneuver in tight parking lots with small spaces, I have to use premium gas to not have a rough idle and the gas mileage is horrendous - 10 mpg City & 18 mpg Hwy with me driving like a Grandma, no headrest for the middle seat in the 3rd row, some of the interior materials feel pretty cheap

Awesome car
By sawmillersyp

2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is by far one of the best vehicles I have owned. Traded in a 2010 Mercedes E350, loved that car but it does not even compare to the Denali. We looked at Suburban and they are beautiful as well but wanted a little more. Drove a Escalade ESV and loved it but just cannot see where there is a need for a extra $10-12k. So we went with the Denali and haven't looked back.

Favorite Features

Rear entretainment and all the room, classy look. Pretty much love everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

I really don't understand the need for the 6.2 and AWD. I think it would be fine as a option but dont really see the point unless you really need it and I would say 90% of buyers do not. Wish you had the option of 5.3 with a selector for 2wd and 4wd. Fuel mileage could be better but for the size and what it is I think it is doing great. We are averaging 17-18 local. Would be awesome to have the same nav screen as the Escalade.

Adjustable back seats
By jennymmh25

2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have only had for a day. But I compared with Toyota sequoia and the deal breaker was onstar. Unlocking is just a phone call away. Other than luxury and comfort sequoia has youkon xl denali beat. To get what you get in the sequoia you would have to buy a Cadillac for about 20,000.00 more and they're still lacking. So GM if Toyota comes out with satellite unlock doors, see ya unless you do big improvement to inside comfort.

Favorite Features

onstar

Suggested Improvements

adjustable and more plump seats for back