2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:
Unexplained Sudden Acceleration
By emzomarja on 01/13/13 16:25 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased our vehicle new in 2009. Generally satisfied with the SUV. In December 2012 the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated without explanation. The car was towed to dealer - who could not re-create the defect. The vehicle has a bulletin out on a throttle defect but claim that it is due to a loss of power rather than a sudden acceleration. The manufacturer declined to pay for the cost of analysis of the defect, in spite of the throttle bulletin indicating they will pay the cost of the repair. Have 75K mi. on car but now wrestling with keeping it due to the concern. Expected another 2 years out of the vehicle, especially at this price for car - but now may have to find another option.

Great Size and Power
By j_stew on 07/17/12 08:45 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle purely for the size and passenger capacity. From that aspect, the vehicle is great - love all the room, the overall design, and general looks of the vehicle. Also love the power and "go anywhere" feel of the vehicle. We have, however, had this car in the shop more than any vehicle we've owned. Constant accessory / electrical issues (power seats, vented seats, heated seats, power door locks, driver air, power mirror). It still looks great and we still enjoy taking it on long trips when it's working, but if there was another good option with this much space and power, we'd take it.

An okay SUV
By JustADriver on 01/30/10 08:41 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the 09 to replace my 05. My biggest complaints relate to interior space use usability. There are no storage spaces for things like sunglasses. The 05 wasn't great, but it has thee good storage spaces in the dash. For some reason GMC decided to go with tiny buttons to control climate and radio. It has taken me a while to get used to the new layout, but the buttons are just bad, especially if you have gloves on. I am looking forward to towing my 30' camper. The 05 did well, I hope the 09 does better.

Fun to Drive
By Joseph on 01/13/10 06:39 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought our Yukon in Sept. to have another towing vehicle and for family trips. Its been great. We are enjoying the cylinder shut down feature (v8 to v4) as it gets mileage around 17 when warmed up. Comfort and ride are great (go for the autoride). Enjoying the dual row heated seats and the autostart. Would like to see more details for the money (blind spot monitoring or mirrors, pin lights for night time cabin lighting, more cubbies for storage). I too would suggest moving the compass/temp back to the center. The overall fit and finish has been very good with only one problem with a plate cover in the inside the door handle. Vehicle has met our needs for volume, handling and comfort.

Great driving vehicle
By dash on 10/21/09 18:17 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLT1 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The handling is great. Great improvement with the Nav-- gives great definition to detail. The heated seats work great. Backup camera gives excellent details to items behind your vehicle and is a great help to hooking up to the boat trailer. Vehicle is a whole lot more than I expected.

Love it
By Will on 10/09/09 11:40 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Wife drives an '07 Suburban, and I traded my '08 MDX in on this Denali XL when we had baby #4 (too hard to use the 3rd row). Love the Denali, but have to say the '07 Suburban is faster off the line by a considerable amount, even after giving up about 90 HP. Must be the AWD and 20" wheels on the Denali. And as much as I love the exhaust note on the Denali, some folks may not appreciate that and go for the relatively quiet 5.3L engine in the Suburban or Yukon XL.

Best SUV you'll ever own !!!
By Zack Pyles on 09/10/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLT2 2500 4dr SUV 4WD (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

We recently bought the 2009 GMC Yukon XL, and we love it, we are very glad we got the XL version also. I would strongly recommend this SUV to anyone who is looking for spacious, comfortable, somewhat luxurious, and fun to drive. We also got the top of the line version and we love the power liftgate, its costs extra but worth it.Does not get as good gas mileage as the Tahoe or the standeder Yukon gets, but its worth it, also It is harder to get into tight parking spaces, and sharp turns, but you get used to it.Overall ,Great SUV.

Large comfortable SUV
By Uncle John on 08/22/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Just replaced 2007 Suburban LTZ and can't hardly believe the difference. Denali is far more fun and quick. Plan to haul trailer of about 7000lb. So that 6.2L motor will be a blessing. Really impressed by a guy who has had over 80 vehicles from Ferrari to Volkswagon.

Love It!
By PeakLover on 06/02/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

I recently traded in my 2001 Yukon XL Denali (which I really enjoyed) for a 2009, because I wanted the latest safety features (side air bags, stability control, and digital OnStar). This Denali is well-made (thanks, American auto-workers!) and has many new features (such as rain- sensing blades). Yes, I know it doesn't get the politically-correct mileage (14 in town/17 highway) but at least now I've consolidated down to only one vehicle. I bought now because I assume the now-Government owned GM would force fuel-savings changes into the design that consumers don't want (e.g., no more spare tires).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 GMC Yukon XL Suv in VA is:

$160 per month*