Used 2009 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Unexplained Sudden Acceleration
By emzomarja

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased our vehicle new in 2009. Generally satisfied with the SUV. In December 2012 the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated without explanation. The car was towed to dealer - who could not re-create the defect. The vehicle has a bulletin out on a throttle defect but claim that it is due to a loss of power rather than a sudden acceleration. The manufacturer declined to pay for the cost of analysis of the defect, in spite of the throttle bulletin indicating they will pay the cost of the repair. Have 75K mi. on car but now wrestling with keeping it due to the concern. Expected another 2 years out of the vehicle, especially at this price for car - but now may have to find another option.

Great Size and Power
By j_stew

2009 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle purely for the size and passenger capacity. From that aspect, the vehicle is great - love all the room, the overall design, and general looks of the vehicle. Also love the power and "go anywhere" feel of the vehicle. We have, however, had this car in the shop more than any vehicle we've owned. Constant accessory / electrical issues (power seats, vented seats, heated seats, power door locks, driver air, power mirror). It still looks great and we still enjoy taking it on long trips when it's working, but if there was another good option with this much space and power, we'd take it.

Favorite Features

Space, space, space. ...and Power. Pass-through middle row is great for larger 3rd row passengers. Overall options are nice (DVD, NAV, Power Everything, Heated/Cooled Front Seats, Reverse Camera, Remote Start, etc). Also still love the overall look of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Larger Nav and DVD screens. More reliability with accessories and electrical components. Flat-folding 2nd and 3rd rows. USB/IPOD integration. More cupholders.

An okay SUV
By JustADriver

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the 09 to replace my 05. My biggest complaints relate to interior space use usability. There are no storage spaces for things like sunglasses. The 05 wasn't great, but it has thee good storage spaces in the dash. For some reason GMC decided to go with tiny buttons to control climate and radio. It has taken me a while to get used to the new layout, but the buttons are just bad, especially if you have gloves on. I am looking forward to towing my 30' camper. The 05 did well, I hope the 09 does better.

Favorite Features

Pretty comfortable seats, kids love the second row heated seats. I think the built in trailer brake controller will be good, but need to wait for spring to try it out with my trailer. Folding in the mirrors is way easier on the 09 than it was on the 05.

Suggested Improvements

Storage space it desperately needed. The tiny buttons are just awful. I really wish I could combine my old 05 with the new 09. I had no problems with button in the 05.

Fun to Drive
By Joseph

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought our Yukon in Sept. to have another towing vehicle and for family trips. Its been great. We are enjoying the cylinder shut down feature (v8 to v4) as it gets mileage around 17 when warmed up. Comfort and ride are great (go for the autoride). Enjoying the dual row heated seats and the autostart. Would like to see more details for the money (blind spot monitoring or mirrors, pin lights for night time cabin lighting, more cubbies for storage). I too would suggest moving the compass/temp back to the center. The overall fit and finish has been very good with only one problem with a plate cover in the inside the door handle. Vehicle has met our needs for volume, handling and comfort.

Favorite Features

Plenty of power, great ride, fun features (autostart, power lift gate), good mileage (compared to my truck), good radio (although XM is pricey).

Suggested Improvements

Switch sides on the steering wheel stereo/cruise controls. My left hand is always on the wheel and I have more need to turn down the volume than play with the cruise. More cubbies (sunglasses, change, etc.)& cup holders. Better mirrors (if you tow, you need towing or blind spot mirrors standard).

Great driving vehicle
By dash

2009 GMC Yukon XL SLT1 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The handling is great. Great improvement with the Nav-- gives great definition to detail. The heated seats work great. Backup camera gives excellent details to items behind your vehicle and is a great help to hooking up to the boat trailer. Vehicle is a whole lot more than I expected.

Favorite Features

The easy of driving and Nav improvements and backup camera

Suggested Improvements

None at this time!!!