Used 2008 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Gmc Yukon-xl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

I think that I have a lemon and I am so sad.
By vgfree

2008 GMC Yukon XL SLE 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought a 2008 Yukon XL for the first time. We have always had Chevy Suburbans. We were told that this was a higher quality vehicle. Since 2009 we have had issues with a grinding noise when the engine was warm from the sun and we started it up. The first time in 2009 we changed out the AC Compressor. The next year we had a cilindar collapse 11,000 miles later, we had the same cilindar collapse. Luckily "The Plaza" in Omaha Nebraska covered the problem again when we were over the 100, 000 mile warranty. We now have a oil leak. We have heard from Hiley that as soon as we fix this we will be okay. We have heard this before. I am sad because I loved my Yukon XL. It didn't love me!

Suggested Improvements

The Flex Fuel Engine. I am told if we get a Denali we will be okay. Really? Who is going to pay for my upgrade besides me?

Big Powerful and Roomy
By J.Herrera

2008 GMC Yukon XL SLE 1500 4dr SUV w/3SA (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Absolutely like my truck, problems is that has been at the dealer for electrical problems, 3 times with Onstar wiring problems and 2 times with battery discharging issues, had to call roadside assistance numerous times for jump starts before dealer replaced battery couldn't find anything wrong before that, so far Onstar is working but had to call roadside assistance twice again for jump start, seems like battery is too small for so much electronics but dealer says they are rated by Amps not size, I will replace battery later on

Favorite Features

My three kids love this truck they love the roominess specially when the 3rd row is added, I like look of the front end(fascia)and specially the power that puts out when I need it, downside is that I get about 15 mpg hwy and around 10 mpg city

Suggested Improvements

Back seats needs to be reclining for better comfort on long drives and maybe a bigger/deeper cycle battery that won't discharge as fast

Lemon?
By Mom of Many

2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

After a month, we had to replace the alternator and water pump. Within the first year, we had several electrical problems, including navigation, faulty fuel sensor gauge, turn signal didn't make noise, we were driving the car but it registered to be in Park, we put the car in Park but it kept rolling forward, power seats shuttered as we moved them, power folding 2nd row didn't always work. Additionally, windows shook excessively, brakes made noise after a few thousand miles, the power liftgate made strange loud noises. We got rid of this piece of junk after only 11 months of owning it.

Favorite Features

Strong powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Become mechanically sound like Toyota or Honda.

Great Truck, but...
By Claudia

2008 GMC Yukon XL SLE 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. Lots of room and a great riding experience. My only complaint is that it only has seating for 6 (two on each row). We asked if we can purchase a solid row for the back, but after much discussion with the dealership they said it was not an option. Also, we just backed into a BMW and our bumper has a HUGE dent in the back and the BMW only had a scratch. How is that possible? Now I'm wondering how dependable the bumber will be in a serious accident.

Favorite Features

Large cargo area, sensors on bumper, leather, bucket seats on 2nd row, comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Make seats interchangeable. We should be able to switch our 2 seating row for 3 seating on the back row. The back row has 2 seats with large cupholders in the center which are pointless, since there are already cup holders on the sides.

Great Ride Cheap Interior
By Mike NY

2008 GMC Yukon XL SLE 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the 2008 Yulon XL SE 4x4 in December 2008. I couldn't beat the deal, cheaper than my 1999. The vehicle is close to the base line model but is still nicely equipped. I averaged 17.5 MPG on a trip from NY to FL. The ride is very comfortable, quite, handles excellent, great in the snow, looks and sounds great. My only negative so far is the cheap fabric upholstry. We don't care for the leather and the fabric on my 1999 still looks as good as new. So far my only advice to GM is to improve the quality of the fabric. Everything sticks to it like glue. I found a lint brush for cleaning lint off clothes at the market and it works pretty well but it is still a lot of work to keep them clean.

Favorite Features

Comfort, power, looks, engine, space

Suggested Improvements

Improve seat fabric, fold/tilt back rear seats, center console interior redesign