Used 2006 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Gmc Yukon-xl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

now the engine... when does it end money pit
By kingspark33

2006 GMC Yukon XL SUV SL 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

New transmission at 54,000 ($1500.00), new harmonic balancer at 69,000 and now a complete engine overhaul at 82,000 ($2400.00).

Favorite Features

Plenty of room inside. Who designed the engine/transmission. Will never buy an american truck again.

Suggested Improvements

Engine/transmission. GMC knows they had problems with the 2006 model.

Money pit
By jmulvihill

2006 GMC Yukon XL SUV SL 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Lets start by saying I bought new and right out of the dealer it was problems. 1) Front end will not stay in alignment / 4 set of new tires with now 103,000 miles. 2) Transmission is about to go but has always been hard to shift. 3) Every thing in the cabin shakes, breaks and falls apart ( trim pieces ect. ) 4) Both A/c units have failed due to some electrical part,,,$ over $ 2000.00 to fix both. 5) Water pump out at 32,000 miles, driver & pass window regulator replaced $$$. This has cost me more in repairs than my 32 foot sail boat ! GM has ZERO customer service when it come to warranty, ZERO confidence in their product but damm I love this 12.5 mpg beast. I pack 4 kids / 2 dogs and

Favorite Features

its the only one with the space we need. Still tell everyone that GMC are not built tough but built in Mexico where cheap labor blleds into their products ! Cant wait till I buy my new FORD !!! Bu GMC its not been fun

2006 - GMC Yukon XL
By kingspark33

2006 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLE 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

New tranny at 71,000. Now offers a 5 year/100k warranty for all cars 2007 & newer. Did not help me and my $2000 bill. My tranny guy told me last year that these trucks only last till 70,000. He was off by 1k. Merry Christmas. Thanks GMC!

I LOVE MY DENALI
By Denali Lover

2006 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've driven this vehicle up mountain roads, cross-country, my own driveway 1.5 miles and a 1,500' climb in elevation in snow, sleet, rain, ice, black ice and it has never failed me. I am in love with this extraordinary vehicle. Comfortable, heated seats, dvd player for the grandkids, manuverability, tight turns, easy to park, manage and haul anything. I've never had a problem with it. Forget everything else, I'd buy this all over again. 15.6 mpg at 4,500' average elevation and I am safe. I traded in a 1998 Suburban that my Son still drives, our rigs are trouble free, no problems, change oil every 3,000 miles and you're good to go. GMC you've got me.

Favorite Features

AWD, heated seats, steering wheel controls, dual air conditioning, power everything, extremely comfortable seating, sun roof. My favorite thing is that I know I can get in, turn the key and she's always ready to go. She doesn't complain about anything. Go YUKON XL DENALI.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely none!

Never Again
By Paul J. Lecker

2006 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLE 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great design.This is the third Yukon. 1995,2001 and now a 2006. This one has been extremely disappointing. Had to rebuild the transmission at 58000 miles. The truck hauls kids and groceries. Dealer actually charged me $100 to tell me the transmission was broken. I don't understand why the company doesn't stand behind the truck. Cost $2,500 to repair. Would not purchase another one because of my experience.

Favorite Features

I like the interior, exterior, the ride. the protection.

Suggested Improvements

GM has lost a good customer because they would not back up their product and the service at the dealer was lousy.