Used 2004 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Happy Yukon XL Owner
By M. Pauls

2004 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Before i bought my Yukon, I rented them from Avis and Hertz. Loved driving them better than Caddy Devilles that I used to rent. Bought my 04 XL in fall of 04 and have never been sorry that I did. My first SUV..mid size SW before (Olds and Buicks) Drives like a car. My wife enjoys driving it. We have been on highway trips with 8 on board including all of the luggage. Amazingly the brake pads lasted for 80,000 miles before they needed to be replaced. Replaced them with original factory pads and they also lasted 80,000 miles. I like my 04 better than the newer 2007 to 2010 ones because of the folding armrests on the front bucket seats. The newer ones don't have them anymore.

Favorite Features

Power and handling, for the size and weight, really impress me. 5.3 Liter has enough power for any loads. Visibility is very good. Even with 4WD It can go into any public multi-level parking garages. The Ford SUV has trouble doing this.

Suggested Improvements

Only one improvement needed. A 3rd row seat that folds flat like the Ford Expedition. The GMC Yukon SLT XL beats all others except for the 3rd row seat folding /removal issue

Nice but not trouble free.
By Josh

2004 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this to pull our travel trailer and haul the four kids around. Towing power is nice but the interior is not nearly as useful as the Honda Odyssey we traded in. In the last 4 months we have had to change the thermostat, have the gauge cluster replace, and have an air bag light coming on and off. Not trouble free by any standard. This is a really nice vehicle but the quality is not all that great. Just make sure to have money set aside for repairs!

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, V-8, towing ability

Suggested Improvements

quality, gas mileage, second and third row usefulness(more leg room, sliding seats).

Yukon Transmissions stinks
By oh1odie1

2004 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been in for repairs over the years at least 5 times for transmissions problems - but 36 days after the dealer recommended a "transmission flush" - the entire transmission blows up! Co-incidence? I think NOT! I think it is pretty suspicious that after a recommended procedure of "flushing" is done to have the transmission blow up only after 36 days!!! DO NOT BUY A GMC PRODUCT!!!! Basically, the dealer and GMC complaint department says "too bad, so sad"

Favorite Features

Comfort of interior - other than the transmission - this is a great vehicle - but at $3000.00 a repair - it kinda takes away from the joy - if you know what I mean!

Suggested Improvements

FIX the design FLAW in the transmission - for more information on this - check out Edmunds.com complaints

Nothing Compares
By Jon

2004 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I own a valet parking company and have drivin everything under the sun. This is by far the best vehicle on the road! There is simply not a smoother ride in an suv and the GMC knows americans expect luxury. I drove this vehicle down the appalation mountain chain from Maine to Florida and was comfortable and confident the entire way. Short story: I was at a complete stop, Got hit from behind by a by a buick going about 40mhp and barly noticed. The buick was totaled and driver was hospitalized. The yukon had a couple scratches on the bumper.

Favorite Features

Quad bucket seats,

Suggested Improvements

Mini Bar, Mini Fridge

Most Excellent!
By Videoarizona

2004 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've never owned a GMC product until this truck. Very impressed with the build quality, performance and reliability. I average 16mpg around town and 19mpg on highway at 75mph! Towing my 4200 pound sailboat across country and back gave me a 14.2 mpg average! I've had one small re-occuring problem concerning the rear heat on my SLT truck having a valve stick. We don't use the heat very often in Phoenix, so no doubt that has a lot to do with it. The rear air works very well! I have all the options but the DVD system and sunroof. As I said before, I'm impressed, GM. Good job with my truck.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, quiet ride. Excellent for long distance cruising towing the boat. Surprised my gas mileage is better than most. Even my wife loves to drive it, despite it's size! Very good dealer service and no maintenance issues for 50K miles! Everything works very well, indeed.

Suggested Improvements

Why the center console opens from the driver's side is beyond me. Opening from the front would allow both driver and passenger to access the area easier.