Used 2004 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Overpriced POS
By John K

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have had an 04, 09, and 2015 Yukon (my wife insists on buying these junkers). The 2015 is too new to tell the problems. The 04 and 09 both had oil pump die just past 110K miles, resulting in crushing of the cam shaft and requiring a rebuilt/new engine. Constantly having other problems with hoses, suspension, etc. All these generations of Yukons cost as much as a nice Mercedes, but is nothing more than a glorified S10 Pickup. I have had other GM vehicles from Cadi's to Chevy's. ALL have an expiration date before 150K miles.

Not bad for 10 year old tech.
By Bob Match

2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

It's hard to find this thing with any less than 100,000 Miles on it; however, even at this age and mileage it still rides like a your on a cloud. With the rear seat out and the mid seat down, you got 8' of cargo space. enough room to carry full sheets of plywood or sheet rock. The towing ability is wonderful; I can pull a 8x10 trailer filled with tools and supplies to a job with ease. Then with the seats up I can load the kid's string quartet with all there gear to the gig site in comfort. This comes at a price. On long trips, it's a nice car on the open highway with the family. While not too bad on gas if you take it easy, you're sure to see that gas gauge move if tow or hard accelerations.

Happy Yukon XL Owner
By M. Pauls

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Before i bought my Yukon, I rented them from Avis and Hertz. Loved driving them better than Caddy Devilles that I used to rent. Bought my 04 XL in fall of 04 and have never been sorry that I did. My first SUV..mid size SW before (Olds and Buicks) Drives like a car. My wife enjoys driving it. We have been on highway trips with 8 on board including all of the luggage. Amazingly the brake pads lasted for 80,000 miles before they needed to be replaced. Replaced them with original factory pads and they also lasted 80,000 miles. I like my 04 better than the newer 2007 to 2010 ones because of the folding armrests on the front bucket seats. The newer ones don't have them anymore.

Power and handling, for the size and weight, really impress me. 5.3 Liter has enough power for any loads. Visibility is very good. Even with 4WD It can go into any public multi-level parking garages. The Ford SUV has trouble doing this.

Only one improvement needed. A 3rd row seat that folds flat like the Ford Expedition. The GMC Yukon SLT XL beats all others except for the 3rd row seat folding /removal issue

Nice but not trouble free.
By Josh

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this to pull our travel trailer and haul the four kids around. Towing power is nice but the interior is not nearly as useful as the Honda Odyssey we traded in. In the last 4 months we have had to change the thermostat, have the gauge cluster replace, and have an air bag light coming on and off. Not trouble free by any standard. This is a really nice vehicle but the quality is not all that great. Just make sure to have money set aside for repairs!

Ride comfort, V-8, towing ability

quality, gas mileage, second and third row usefulness(more leg room, sliding seats).

Yukon Transmissions stinks
By oh1odie1

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been in for repairs over the years at least 5 times for transmissions problems - but 36 days after the dealer recommended a "transmission flush" - the entire transmission blows up! Co-incidence? I think NOT! I think it is pretty suspicious that after a recommended procedure of "flushing" is done to have the transmission blow up only after 36 days!!! DO NOT BUY A GMC PRODUCT!!!! Basically, the dealer and GMC complaint department says "too bad, so sad"

Comfort of interior - other than the transmission - this is a great vehicle - but at $3000.00 a repair - it kinda takes away from the joy - if you know what I mean!

FIX the design FLAW in the transmission - for more information on this - check out Edmunds.com complaints

• SUV