2004 GMC Yukon XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:
Happy Yukon XL Owner
By M. Pauls on 06/21/10 14:03 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Before i bought my Yukon, I rented them from Avis and Hertz. Loved driving them better than Caddy Devilles that I used to rent. Bought my 04 XL in fall of 04 and have never been sorry that I did. My first SUV..mid size SW before (Olds and Buicks) Drives like a car. My wife enjoys driving it. We have been on highway trips with 8 on board including all of the luggage. Amazingly the brake pads lasted for 80,000 miles before they needed to be replaced. Replaced them with original factory pads and they also lasted 80,000 miles. I like my 04 better than the newer 2007 to 2010 ones because of the folding armrests on the front bucket seats. The newer ones don't have them anymore.

Nice but not trouble free.
By Josh on 02/06/10 11:12 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this to pull our travel trailer and haul the four kids around. Towing power is nice but the interior is not nearly as useful as the Honda Odyssey we traded in. In the last 4 months we have had to change the thermostat, have the gauge cluster replace, and have an air bag light coming on and off. Not trouble free by any standard. This is a really nice vehicle but the quality is not all that great. Just make sure to have money set aside for repairs!

Yukon Transmissions stinks
By oh1odie1 on 04/27/09 15:35 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been in for repairs over the years at least 5 times for transmissions problems - but 36 days after the dealer recommended a "transmission flush" - the entire transmission blows up! Co-incidence? I think NOT! I think it is pretty suspicious that after a recommended procedure of "flushing" is done to have the transmission blow up only after 36 days!!! DO NOT BUY A GMC PRODUCT!!!! Basically, the dealer and GMC complaint department says "too bad, so sad"

Nothing Compares
By Jon on 03/05/09 13:29 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I own a valet parking company and have drivin everything under the sun. This is by far the best vehicle on the road! There is simply not a smoother ride in an suv and the GMC knows americans expect luxury. I drove this vehicle down the appalation mountain chain from Maine to Florida and was comfortable and confident the entire way. Short story: I was at a complete stop, Got hit from behind by a by a buick going about 40mhp and barly noticed. The buick was totaled and driver was hospitalized. The yukon had a couple scratches on the bumper.

Most Excellent!
By Videoarizona on 12/18/08 21:55 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've never owned a GMC product until this truck. Very impressed with the build quality, performance and reliability. I average 16mpg around town and 19mpg on highway at 75mph! Towing my 4200 pound sailboat across country and back gave me a 14.2 mpg average! I've had one small re-occuring problem concerning the rear heat on my SLT truck having a valve stick. We don't use the heat very often in Phoenix, so no doubt that has a lot to do with it. The rear air works very well! I have all the options but the DVD system and sunroof. As I said before, I'm impressed, GM. Good job with my truck.

Stole one on Ebay
By JDL on 07/26/08 07:59 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used for $22K on Ebay in Dec 06 with 42K miles on it. It has nav, DVD, and the sunroof and has run for almost another 40K miles with very few problems. It is powerful, fun to drive, and is great for a family of 5 but drinks gas like crazy. For 22K invested I can't complain.

The best full size SUV
By the best truck on 03/20/07 17:32 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The best truck, best cargo space, There's not lot of space in 3 row seat and 2, but there is a lot of good stuff in it.

'04 Denali XL
By NJDUO FROM NJ on 02/08/07 15:51 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and I are so pleased how easy it is to handle this truck. Ride is great for a big SUV. We really love it. Making U turns is a breeze. From the outside at first it is a little frightening. When you drive one you would never think you are driving a big SUV. Features, room, ride, A+. MPG stink, But it's well worth it for the family.

Great Ride
By Dan on 01/31/07 11:06 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle for golf trips. I load up 5 guys with golf clubs and luggage for a 4 day trip to Myrtle Beach. The ride is great and I use the GPS system all the time. It's great to find golf courses. It's my 5th Suburban, but, my 1st Denali and I love it. There was not enough difference between the Denali and the Escalade to justify the price difference.

Ultimate SUV
By tonyd on 01/02/07 14:50 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

With a drop-down DVD player and a hand full of movies you can take the family on that 1500 mile trip without a fuss. It's big enough for all your luggage, tows trailers without worry, fits 6-8 adults without worry, offers sleeping room and seating postions, excellerates great, and handles like a Mercedes. After driving an S500 recently, I returned to the Yukon XL with a renewed point of view of how much vehicle this really is. The stable-track nearly eliminates body sway. The long wheelbase soaks up the bumps much better than a pounding/bucking ride Short-Wheel-Base SUV. Towed trailers 10,000 miles and I put a post-it note on the dash to remind me it was back there. Mercedes in GM clothing.