2003 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Review: Transmission trouble

2003 GMC Yukon XL - Consumer Review

1500 SLE 4dr SUV (5.3L V8 FFV 4-speed Automatic)

Transmission trouble
By shane45 on

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my 2003 yukon xl 2wd for five and a half years.I bought it used with 22000 miles on it.It now has 103000 miles. At 65000 miles the transmission went out,a $2200 repair. At 77000 miles the instrument cluster lost gauge function one by one,this is a recalled issue up to 75000miles. The dealer wanted $800 to repair it.I purchased a used repaired one on ebay for $150. At 90000 miles the transmission went out again,another $1800 for repair. The power window motor went out on passenger side,drivers side is now moving slowly,so if I do it myself $300 repair. It seats 9,handles mountian roads great,but repair costs has lost my faith in GM. Save up for repair costs,you may need it.

Nine passenger seating,very comfy at that. Fuel economy not bad for such a big truck(19 on hwy with a couple of add ons) It corners great at decent speeds. I love the style of the 2002-2006.The engine has been flawless,no fuel pump issues or bearing issues,it just runs great. Just issues with tranny,instrument cluster window motors,and a few in dash lights. AC has been great,no service done. Just regular oil changes and plugs,wires,etc.

GM needs to find a solution to the transmission problems.I was reading the consumer reviews for the 2007 Tahoe,they still have not been able to solve these issues. Fold flat rear seat may be good,but I just take mine out when I don't need it to reduce weight & save a bit of fuel.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review