Used 2003 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Great Vehicle, Fuel Economy Stinks
By Drpcfix

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My 96 Diesel got 11-20mpg. Denali XL gets 8mpg city 14 hgy. Painted rear bumper scratches easily. NAV antenna is under dash and has poor signal. Onstar is on the roof.

Favorite Features

Navigation system -- although it would be nice to not have to press the lawyer achnowledgement every time I start the vehicle. Heated seats make winter mornings a pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the diesel option Add backup sensors and a couple of big backup lights under the bumper. Make onstar and xm an option -- its unfair to make us pay for something that we don't want. Also Onstar on nearly all GM vehicles will stop working in 2008

my thoughts
By Soiteful1

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We, the wife and I fine this vehicle to be above our expectations.

Favorite Features

The XM radio and On-Star

Suggested Improvements

Move the seat heat switches, They are often turned on by mistake just by rfesting your arm on the arm rest.

electrical problems
By insolation

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

In 18 mths the car has died and had to be junped or towed 9 times. Service kept changing parts but could not find the actual problem Went to lemon law arbitration and GM settled to "keep me as a customer" I recently stopped two different people with The Denali version and they love the truck except that both said they had been stuck on numerous occasions When running a great truck.

Quad-Steer Review
By Charlotte NC Driver

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very comfortable and well appointed. I love the quadrasteer, when it works! The quadrasteer has malfunctioned and been repaired now 3 times in 30K miles. Replaced 2 AC compressors and a broken muffler (internal components of muffler were broken). Repairs can be costly unless under warranty. I commute 120 miles per day and the Yukon is very comfortable and powerful. I would highly recommend this vehicle again ONLY if an extended warranty was included. I average 14mpg.

Favorite Features

Quadrasteer,radio controls on the steering wheel, 3-way climate control and enough cargo room for a football team make this Yukon a must buy if size matters and/or you need to tow something.

Suggested Improvements

Warranty to 75,000 miles should be STANDARD considering the cost of repair on this beast. Initial build quality needs improvement.

2003 Denali XL - Excellent vehicle
By wvufan5

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Overall, an excellent vehicle. I took it on a 8500 mile cross-country trip last summer. Lots of room, plenty of power. Performed well in all types of terrain. Drove it through Death Valley with myself, 5 passengers, and enough luggage for a three week trip. Didn't experience any problems. It now has 40000 miles with only very minor repairs being made (one air conditioning switch). I plan on buying the same vehicle next time.

Favorite Features

The ride and the power of the 6.0L engine are my favorite features. It also handles extremely well in snow with the Stabilitrac.

Suggested Improvements

There is poor visibility out the rear, especially at night. Difficult problem to solve, although brighter backup lighting would help. Also, some interior features appear flimsy (ex. rear cupholder)