Used 2003 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 GMC Yukon XL

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Great SUV
By absbill

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had a Ford Expedition and 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees, but this is the best SUV I've owned. Better mileage than either of the above (15 normal driving, 19+ on the road). I had a problem with 4wd switching, difficult for dealer to diagnose, but it was resolved. Comfortable, lots of room, and I tow the boat with good stability. I'd strongly recommend this vehicle for anyone with a family and recreational needs. Great highway cruiser!

Favorite Features

Better 4wd system than Jeep. Good stereo, comfortable seating, nice leather interior, LOTS of cargo room and good fuel economy for a vehicle this size (with Regular fuel). The DVD player w/remote headphones is great for even short trips with kids.

Suggested Improvements

Include CD changer with at least 6 CD capacity as standard.

Once again America Fails
By laxman

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have my Yukon XL for 22 months. I am dissapointed in the build on the truck. I have a problem with the front end rattling after 15,000 miles. Also, the middle seat froze on me and needs a new seat riser. The best is that the dealer knows that the front end is an occurance with most 2003's. They did not have the part and said it would take a week. well 2 weeks later I call up and still no part. I guess when its under warranty, they don't want to fix the problem. I have to hound them for the part!!! I wish Toyota or Nissan would make a truck as big so I could byu!!

Favorite Features

Leather seats

Suggested Improvements

I makes me irrate that the design of the truck is determined by some actuary wondering how we can better fund their pension. Missing from my old 1999-- light in hood, less lights in door entry, rear corner panel mold and smaller, less sturdy running boards. Hey a dollar here and two

Solid Truck but needs Refining
By Darien Rodriguez

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Took it on 5 long distance trips (over 3500 miles. Truck does everything you need, comfortable for the most part, and looks great. Easy to drive. No real problems except the following: 3 times gauges went out of wack. Restart truck, problem went away. XM radio does not display all XM information. Too much Roadnoise for a luxury truck at speeds over 65mph. More room in second row and needs fold flat rear seat. Dash acc,intirior panels and bumpers scratch too easy/paint comes off. Move front seat heater buttons (too sensitive). Adjustable seat belts (shoulder area). Add 500w power inverter and game console hookups/acc audio inputs on radio. Add Backup sensor.

Favorite Features

Outside Look, power, space. Onstar is great and helped us out countless times.

Suggested Improvements

LCD based DVD entertainment system with integrated GPS navigation and backup system, front seats should be able to recline all the way back.

The Denali XL, wooh what a truck!
By The engineer

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had it for about a month, it's great. I am the second owner, previouis owner put 9000 miles on it. I purchased for the wife and kids. Has plenty of space, the entertainment center combine with the bose system is great. Interior is awesome, the vehicle has all the bells and gadgets. Very safe and easy to drive, my wife is only 4'-11". She loves it so much she wont let me drive it anymore. Has plenty of power and is perfect for road trips; towing; no problema! the 6.0 liter can handle it. Great vehicle worth every penny. I do recommend it for a family no larger than five.

Favorite Features

Bose system, the interior, headted seats, XM, On-star, level of comfort, the all wheel drive, towing power, and obviously the looks! White is an awesome color for this SUV!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a reverse warning device, bigger tires from factory, captain chairs need more leg room, add more bass speakers and personal cell phone hook up.

Black Diablo
By Coach Dave

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My Yukon Denalli is an excellent vehicle. I purchased the "black diablo" to serve my firm as a comfortable way to transport myself and many of my employees to various meetings and job sites around the Mid-Atlantic and Ohio Valley regions. The vehicle is comfortable for all during our average 3-6 hour trips. She handles well and gives one the sense of safety in almost all situations. I am delighted to have made the purchase and would strongly recommend the Yukon XL to those interested in the purchase. One draw back: I would only ask for better gas mileage. The beast can certainly eat-up her share of gasoline.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating, automatic recall adjusting seating, seat heater, bose sound system, too many to limit to one

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage and this one is a grand slam