Used 2003 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Everyone rides with me!
By football mom

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The great thing about our GMC YukonXL is we have room for the book bags, sports equipment bags, grocery and friends! We never have to tell someone we don't have room. However, we end up driving more than we would like to. We purchased this vehicle with 14,000 miles and the ride is wonderful. We previously bought Suburbans and the difference is unbelievable. The GMC is has a better ride and the interior and exterior appointments are much nicer. However, it rattles and squeaks a little more than I like. For all the comfort I turn the radio up. The kids can watch a DVD while we listen to XM radio. The GMC is the way to go!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, DVD, XM Radio, the ride

Suggested Improvements

Squeaks, rattles that is my only complaint

Whats with the interior paint?
By J. McKeon

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Hubby surprised me with my pre-owned '03 model. Interior paint/finish on dash has an area flaking off. Weird! Went from a Caddy Seville SLS to this, so comfort and handling was important. On the comfort side, the XL is spacious and seating is pretty well, but not as many adjustments as the Caddy. Need to be able to adjust the seats lower with more tilt for shorter folks. It handles well, but almost too sensitive in the steering. I could see some major over-correction problems with even the most seasoned driver. I pull a two-horse trailer, and rate it adequate for that, due to sense of power strain and some instability even with equalizer bars

Favorite Features

Space!

Suggested Improvements

Better seating adjustments, and interior finish work. More stability for towing.

Best Choice for Family Travel
By SCL

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We love our Yukon XL. This is our fourth one. We've owned a '99, '01, '03 Yukon, and this one - the XL. Traded the shorty two months later for the longer wheel base. It has a smooth, quiet ride. Dependable. It feels safe on the freeways, and handles very well for large vehicle. I wish there was a way to get better "in town" gas mileage - avg 14 mpg. Highway gets 20 mpg. It pulled our RV with little effort - never knew it was there! We love the large cargo area. It hauls luggage, bikes, and anything else you need. I highly recommend SLT model - all the bells and whistles are fantastic.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, fold-in mirrors, sunroof, six disc CD, adjustable pedals, great tow package, onboard computer, steering wheel controls, homelink, XM, OnStar, horsepower & comfy seats!

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage - find some way to keep the horses and tow capacity and use gas more efficiently.

My 2003 Denali
By KJC

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Fun vehicle. Eats gas but is great for the kids to watch DVD's, and I hook up the Xbox sometimes. Easy turning radius. Headlight went out at 55k. Jack is terrible. Overall a good buy but at $52k a bit pricey. Terrible keyless system. Mine has died at least a dozen times.

Favorite Features

DVD and electronic closing of side mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger screen on DVD. Keyless closing of back trunk.

Adequate for my needs
By Rob

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I'll preface this by 2 things. 1-I've never owned an American car & 2-I'm coming from a Lexus to a GMC. I bought the car for my wife and kids-we needed the room which is great. I like all the space and the captains chairs for car seats. The interior is nice but not great but again I bought for the space. Gas mileage stinks but I knew that going in. I like the styling. I've been a little disappointed with the service from the dealership, but not a huge concern. Because I've nevered owned an American car I bought the extended warranty. I bought this car off a one year lease with 27k miles on it. All in all after 4 months of ownership I'm pleased with it. Handles great on the highway.

Favorite Features

TV/DVD which was aftermarket (perfect for roadtrips for kids). Space for multiple car seats and adults. Power for the size of car. Heated seats are powerful, better than my Lexus. Rear AC/Heat

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Quality of dash. Add automatic/one touch windows up. Heated seat controls, can't see them when they are on, need to angle them for better viewing. Better quality stereo controls. Captains chairs in middle row need more leg room and should be all leather. Back side are cloth.