Used 2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

GMC Yukon XL Review
By Gregory Walls

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it new and during three years I've had only one major repair out of warranty (power steering box). After 65,000 miles it still rides great and is in excellent shape inside and out (other than normal minor paint scratches and dings). The build quality is excellent and the car is holding up very well. I have previously traded my car every three years when I get tired of them, but I want to keep my Yukon XL until the wheels fall off.

The big comfortable soft leather high back bucket seats are great and very comfortable. I test drove lots of SUVs and these seats were the greatest and were a major factor in my decision to buy the Yukon XL. The sound system is excellent too.

If they could improve the gas mileage without killing the performance it would be great.

Great SUV
By Scooter

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Traded in our 99 Suburban for this car. All I can say is that this is the best SUV on the market. You can comfortably drive all the way to Canada From Texas, or pull a good size trailer, or even pull someome out of a ditch. It does everything superbly. Itevens handles deer remarkably well. We hit one near San Angelo going 70 and the massive bumper stopped the deer from damaging much. All that suffered was the grill and turn signal. I would definitly buy one again.

Heated seats, DVD player, 6 liter, AWD.

HIDs, rear view camera would be nice.

Like A Luxury Sedan
By T Vandivort

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The main feature of a Yukon Denali XL is its size, which is very comodious. We've taken trips of 400+ miles with six people and all their gear, including Christmas presents, and not filled the cargo area yet. The seats are comfortable with plenty of variation in lumbar and thigh support and lots of legroom. Other very surprising positives are the handling and ride, which are like a luxury passenger car.

Handling and ride

My only changes would be to add a heated steering wheel and air conditioned seats, otherwise it has it all.

Too many problems for $40,000+
By DriverDave

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This car was fine the first year and a half but then the problems started. The digital dash lights that let you know if the car is in drive etc went out at a cost of up to $1000. My husband has not had it repaired yet-he says he'll go without at that price. Then the car would not start when there was less than a 1/4 tank of gas-new fuel pump for $600. Now the newest problem is the lights; they are totally going off when you go to bright and will not go back on. I drove home with no lights last night in the dark when it happened to me. Another bad point is the front seats reclining only 1/4 of the way back to a less than comfortable postion. The brakes are much improved over our 99.

Brakes that last unlike the underpowered brakes of the older models.

Computer systems, electrical systems and fuel pumps that never seem to last in GM vehicles. Comfortable front seats and less plastic for $40,000+.

my gmc
By Nam's YUK

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Drives like a car. Has nice turning radius. Great leather seats(8). Great interior flexibility. Wife loves driving it.

Fit finish towing capability