Used 2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Best full size ever
By Pbear

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Yukon for 3 years and 30,000 miles. I love the power, handling and comfort this vehicle offers. I have had to do only regular maintenance which usually includes the front hubs at around 100,000 miles. This thing fits 4 foot by 8 ft sheets of plywood inside and is still is capable of 19 mpg on the highway!I average 16 overall with mostly rural driving in the mountains. This vehicle is just as well built and reliable as my Honda Accord!

5.3L engine has plenty of power(you don't notice you have 7 people and all their stuff when you press the gas.) Never running out of room. Not having to go through dealer for parts. 600 miles between fill ups(32.5 gallon tank). Turns tighter than my Accord and easier to park.

Less plastic as it is all over the thing.

Beast of Burden
By Eric

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it new in July 2002. Excellent vehicle, particularly if you do a lot of camping or fishing. GREAT gear space when all seats are in use. Only 1 early problem, parking brake cable stuck under warranty, wearing out parking brake shoes. Only other problem - oxygen sensors went bad at 60,000 miles, too early, perhaps got splashed hard with salt brine or water. Good:The front disc pads lasted 70000 miles, rear disc pads 80000 miles, battery 5 years, changed it when I had the Dexcool coolant changed at 5yrs. Original tires lasted 70000 miles. No problems with A/C or transmission. Overall very reliable. 15mpg city, 14 mpg city when very cold. 20mpg highway at 55-60mph; 18mpg at 70. 17@75.

People room & luggage space GREAT for when we go camping or trips monthly. Highway ride is almost sinful it is so good. Snow performance in 4WD Auto is very competent. Overhead tailgate. Vision,Quality-Excellent. Handling very good for such a big vehicle. Best seats in a vehicle I have ever owned.

Protect oxygen sensors better against splashing. Steering feedback is better on the new 2007-2009 model than the 2002.

Too many kids
By pete

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I needed something that could fit 6 kids and still had the room for other things like a stroller fit for twins and groceries. This is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. The most reliable and definitely the best looking. The gas usage isn't nearly as bad as my friends told me before the purchase. But with this many kids I had no choice and it was a great one

Leather seats, rear air and heating pretty much everyhthing

When starting the truck it would be nice to have the radio turn up as slowly as the heating and air does

Yukon XL experience
By Keith

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have been driving this SUV for three years. Relaibility has been the big issue. We've had to replace the fuel system, air conditioning system, knock sensors and have ther front end re-built because it wouldn't maintain alinement. Now we are having transmission problems at 90,000. In fairness, I have a friend with the same vehicle and similar mileage who has had no problems. Aside from the many mechanical problems we have enjoyed the SUV and find it comfortable to travel in with a large family. I'm disappointed that it has proved much less relaible than my 1996 Suburban.

Good stereo, lots of passanger and cargo room, powerful dual air conditioning, feels safe

Better quality control is needed. While I like the car I'd hesitate buying another one out of reliability concerns.

Bad Apple
By Derrick Leak Sr

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Yukon XL(1500 2WD) brand new. By 30k miles my transmission went out, Steering wheels went clunk. My computer chip went bad not once but twice leaving the AC and heater running at full blast throughout the day/night until killing the battery. Between 30-45k the transmission had to be completely replaced. The GMC warranty folks just wanted me to agree on a warranty to wash their hands. I asked about all these problems and they were like never heard of anything like this before. After reading some of your viewers posts I see otherwise. I now have 81000 miles on it now and the tranny seal is leaking and the warranty is over. You already know how I feel.

The vehicle is very nice looking. Summit white always clean, 20inch chrome wheels. Gas milelage is OK. I've had it so long that I'm used to it. It's best at a half a tank or better. It does good to excellent when traveling long distance (gas milelage wise)

Sluggish performance when passing. Interior needs an upgrade.