2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:
Best full size ever
By Pbear on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Yukon for 3 years and 30,000 miles. I love the power, handling and comfort this vehicle offers. I have had to do only regular maintenance which usually includes the front hubs at around 100,000 miles. This thing fits 4 foot by 8 ft sheets of plywood inside and is still is capable of 19 mpg on the highway!I average 16 overall with mostly rural driving in the mountains. This vehicle is just as well built and reliable as my Honda Accord!

Beast of Burden
By Eric on 01/10/10 15:32 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it new in July 2002. Excellent vehicle, particularly if you do a lot of camping or fishing. GREAT gear space when all seats are in use. Only 1 early problem, parking brake cable stuck under warranty, wearing out parking brake shoes. Only other problem - oxygen sensors went bad at 60,000 miles, too early, perhaps got splashed hard with salt brine or water. Good:The front disc pads lasted 70000 miles, rear disc pads 80000 miles, battery 5 years, changed it when I had the Dexcool coolant changed at 5yrs. Original tires lasted 70000 miles. No problems with A/C or transmission. Overall very reliable. 15mpg city, 14 mpg city when very cold. 20mpg highway at 55-60mph; 18mpg at 70. 17@75.

Too many kids
By pete on 01/23/09 13:39 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I needed something that could fit 6 kids and still had the room for other things like a stroller fit for twins and groceries. This is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. The most reliable and definitely the best looking. The gas usage isn't nearly as bad as my friends told me before the purchase. But with this many kids I had no choice and it was a great one

Yukon XL experience
By Keith on 11/29/08 23:56 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have been driving this SUV for three years. Relaibility has been the big issue. We've had to replace the fuel system, air conditioning system, knock sensors and have ther front end re-built because it wouldn't maintain alinement. Now we are having transmission problems at 90,000. In fairness, I have a friend with the same vehicle and similar mileage who has had no problems. Aside from the many mechanical problems we have enjoyed the SUV and find it comfortable to travel in with a large family. I'm disappointed that it has proved much less relaible than my 1996 Suburban.

Bad Apple
By Derrick Leak Sr on 09/09/08 10:29 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Yukon XL(1500 2WD) brand new. By 30k miles my transmission went out, Steering wheels went clunk. My computer chip went bad not once but twice leaving the AC and heater running at full blast throughout the day/night until killing the battery. Between 30-45k the transmission had to be completely replaced. The GMC warranty folks just wanted me to agree on a warranty to wash their hands. I asked about all these problems and they were like never heard of anything like this before. After reading some of your viewers posts I see otherwise. I now have 81000 miles on it now and the tranny seal is leaking and the warranty is over. You already know how I feel.

Best SUV on the market
By leitew on 07/19/08 18:26 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best SUV on the market. Extremely reliable and confortable to drive. Purchase new in 2002 and now the odometer reads 97,000 miles. The average gas mileage is 16mpg (city and highway combined). The only mechanical problem was the steering that started to make a "clunk" noise at about 40K. Took to the dealer who repaired for about $400. Now at 97K the noise is back. Other than that no complaints. Excellent SUV, reliable and confortable to drive.

Better than I could have ever imagined
By BranCat on 05/23/08 07:03 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought our Yukon XL last summer. We have 5 kids and are expecting our 6th in September. We upgraded from a minivan and we were so excited about having what we would call a luxury vehicle to cruise around in. Our vehicle came fully loaded and we just can't say enough about it. We have never had to do any major repairs on it expect for replacing the original alternator just this past month. I love the leather seats and the roominess. We are going to purchase a 4th row for the cargo area to accommodate our growing family. I can't say enough about this vehicle. We are going to drive, drive, drive ours until it falls apart. Even with the gas prices, it is well worth it!

Worst car so far
By clb7 on 09/06/07 21:21 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Yukon a little over 2 years ago and used to love it until recently, I have had to replace the rear end, 2 waterpumps, and the air conditioning. I thought I was all done but now my catalytic converter has gone out and I am sure that is not all that is going to go wrong. My back window is slowly quiting when you roll it up and my emergency brake has quit working all together. This is by far the worst car I have ever had, and the most expensive. I will not buy another one just for these reasons. Other than that, it is a great car, when it is running! I find that is great for the whole family and even pets and groceries but the reliabity just isn't there.

2002
By Yukon xl freak on 01/01/07 12:23 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like to drive it. The power is not enough because when I want to pass people sometimes I have trouble passing them when they hit the pedal. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

Poor reliability - poor service
By PDuarte on 03/05/06 12:12 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

A few months after purchasing the SUV new started having transmission problems. Dealer was never able to diognose and fix the problems. I take it back to the dealer and sometimes they work on it but never succesfully. Also had to have both front wheel bearings replaced. I lost confidence on GM's quality of their presumably best products, the dealers ability to diagnose and repair correctly and in good faith.