Used 2001 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Yukon XL SUV

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Great suv
By dagger7232

2001 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned this truck since 2003 and have driven it far and hard. We currently have 220,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. has plenty of power and we use it to haul our boat a lot. Tough build quality and durability. Only issues we have had is the parking brake light, and the engine knocking a bit but its at 210,000 miles. We do not have the 4x4 but I have a 2003 silverado and the 4x4 has had plenty of issues, so I am assuming this would be true for this model also. However for the two wheel drive nothing drive train related has gone wrong all we do is change oil, brakes, and general maintenance. only issue has been parking break light staying on.

Favorite Features

Everything is simple but works. There is no complicated gps or radio system and no digital gear shifter thing, everything is basic but everything just works. You don't have to worry about fooling with radio and gps just to change the channel. This is what I love about these trucks. Can fit a lot of people and will haul almost anything. Great SUV

Suggested Improvements

The rear seats (2nd row) will not fold down completely like the expeditions of these model years do without taking them out, and the 3rd row seats do not fold flat on the same level as the back cargo area, making it oddly shaped for hauling stuff without completely removing them (we just leave ours in garage and put tarp down and use it as a sort of truck bed). Some of the plastic makes it seem cheap, and the dashboard skin/paint is peeling, revealing the black under layer. 4x4 is pretty unreliable in these trucks, although we do not have it.

It's been a great ride.
By Frank Rizzo

2001 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased "Big Blue" new Feb 9 of '01 and with 104K miles on her, I have nothing but good things to say. We have had no mechanical issues at all as I've maintained her by the book. The over all design and the power train really can't be beat and for family vacations as well every day use, it's been the ideal vehicle for us. Our plan is to keep it for another 100K miles as we see no reason to replace it with something similar, when it's still in such great shape!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating & cargo space. The 5.3 liter is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

None, really!

Dream Car
By Lynn Repp

2001 GMC Yukon XL SUV 2500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I Love this SUV & would never get rid of it if it werent for gas prices. One of the most comfortable & reliable cars ever. Love it! Love it! I always feel safe in it and it is the best on trips! Only had one problem with a fuel pump at the very beginning & had to replace it, but factory refunded my money. Also the emergency brake sticks & have had it in several times for that. Otherwise I really love this SUV!

Favorite Features

Comfort & safety. I like being higher up off the ground. It really feels safer being higher off the ground than a car. Rides like a dream!

Suggested Improvements

Back seat, when you swing around to get out is very difficult to get legs & feet out comfortably. Desperately needs some improvement on the space to get out.

Worst SUV ever
By Alfonso Ocampo

2001 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle I have ever bought. Spent a lot of money on this truck. This SUV slips way too much in snow even with 4wd on. I changed the battery on this truck twice, brakes were horrible they couldn't be fixed, and power for this beast needs to be improved. GM dissapointed me. GMC you just fell in the same class as a Ford.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list

3/4 ton Yukon XL w/ a 496 V8!
By VCCole

2001 GMC Yukon XL SUV 2500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Interior is awesome, but I have leather. It's hot/cold and your butt doesn't stay in place, it 's slick. Build quality is amazing. Was hit from behind at 35mph (I was at a dead stop) and 1/2 ton Toyota's front end was nearly non existant. My bumper had a slight dent. These are tanks! The transmission slips once in a great while. GM needs to work on that problem. No breakdowns.

Favorite Features

Wide, plush interior with lots of elbow room and towability. Can outrun just about anything on the road (not that I ever would, but nice to know I can).

Suggested Improvements

Offer cloth in high end trim models. Some of us despise everything about leather. Also, make a seat where the curved sides of the seat deflate, so it's flat across the back of the seat.