2001 GMC Yukon XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:
Great suv
By dagger7232 on 09/16/14 19:14 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned this truck since 2003 and have driven it far and hard. We currently have 220,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. has plenty of power and we use it to haul our boat a lot. Tough build quality and durability. Only issues we have had is the parking brake light, and the engine knocking a bit but its at 210,000 miles. We do not have the 4x4 but I have a 2003 silverado and the 4x4 has had plenty of issues, so I am assuming this would be true for this model also. However for the two wheel drive nothing drive train related has gone wrong all we do is change oil, brakes, and general maintenance. only issue has been parking break light staying on.

It's been a great ride.
By Frank Rizzo on 04/01/10 08:37 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased "Big Blue" new Feb 9 of '01 and with 104K miles on her, I have nothing but good things to say. We have had no mechanical issues at all as I've maintained her by the book. The over all design and the power train really can't be beat and for family vacations as well every day use, it's been the ideal vehicle for us. Our plan is to keep it for another 100K miles as we see no reason to replace it with something similar, when it's still in such great shape!

Dream Car
By Lynn Repp on 08/18/08 18:41 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I Love this SUV & would never get rid of it if it werent for gas prices. One of the most comfortable & reliable cars ever. Love it! Love it! I always feel safe in it and it is the best on trips! Only had one problem with a fuel pump at the very beginning & had to replace it, but factory refunded my money. Also the emergency brake sticks & have had it in several times for that. Otherwise I really love this SUV!

Worst SUV ever
By Alfonso Ocampo on 02/21/08 09:52 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle I have ever bought. Spent a lot of money on this truck. This SUV slips way too much in snow even with 4wd on. I changed the battery on this truck twice, brakes were horrible they couldn't be fixed, and power for this beast needs to be improved. GM dissapointed me. GMC you just fell in the same class as a Ford.

3/4 ton Yukon XL w/ a 496 V8!
By VCCole on 01/18/08 10:48 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Interior is awesome, but I have leather. It's hot/cold and your butt doesn't stay in place, it 's slick. Build quality is amazing. Was hit from behind at 35mph (I was at a dead stop) and 1/2 ton Toyota's front end was nearly non existant. My bumper had a slight dent. These are tanks! The transmission slips once in a great while. GM needs to work on that problem. No breakdowns.

Think Twice About GMC
By YukonOwner on 11/02/07 21:05 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My first American vehicle will be my last. We bought this vehicle to tow a camper. We sold the camper so we can get rid of the Yukon before it breaks again. At just over 40,000, I spent nearly $2,000 replacing the motor that controls the 4x4 system. Wait, not only did the motor go out but so did the buttons on the control panel. Although I live in Colorado and do use the 4x4 features, I shouldn't have to spend $2K on a $40K vehicle to replace something that isn't used all that often. If you need room, this vehicle definately has room. I can haul 8 skiers, put their goods in the back and put skis and boards on the roof in a ski box. It takes 8 skiers to pay for the gas.

Beware of front differential bearings
By mcouch on 06/19/07 18:55 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

After a defect plagued experience with a new 1996 Suburban, I was pleased with the performance/reliability of the 2001 Yukon XL Denali I traded-in for, until hitting 60,000 miles and having the front differential bearings "come apart", according to the dealer; as if that were something I should've expected after 60,000 miles! If you are foolish enough to buy a big GMC SUV make sure you trade it in before warranty expires!

'01 YukonXL
By Steve on 03/05/07 20:21 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle on long trips, not an around town vehicle (gas mileage) Had problems with water leak in front pass floor, dealer said it was sunroof, found problem was spot weld burned thru fender wall, water would collect in fender and leak into passenger area during heavy rain, so much for professional grade. I repaired the problem with GE silicone. Also major problem with windshield washer pumps. Seems that if the battery leaks acid it will flow down and destroy the pumps which sit right under the battery. Another Professional grade design. I say that because when I brought it to the dealer for repair they asked if my battery leaked. I asked if they have come up with a fix, they haven't

Ultimate Family Ride
By DAVID C on 05/09/06 07:17 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is one of the best family size SUV I have found. It has plenty of room for 3 children in car seats and all needed accessories. Gas mileage is very good for what you get. Over 325 horsepower and safety features for children. It is not for everyone. Only people who need one should buy one then you wont have to gripe about the gas mileage. Like I said you get what you pay for. It is built for comfort strength and safety. When I wear this one out I will buy another

Typical American Car
By traveller29 on 03/30/06 18:36 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The Yukon XL Denali is over priced. During the first year of ownership, it was in for warranty items more than 5 times. Over the past year, fifth year of ownership and 70,000 miles later, I have spent over $2,500 on maintenance. I just spent over $900 on a faulty abs module today. You would think that if you paid over $50,000 for a vehicle that you would not have such issues at 5 years 70K.