Junk Parts in Car and Junk Manufacture
By exec17 on
2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
do not buy this vehicle. I am over 60 and have had over 30 cars in my life. this one is the WORST as to mechanical problems. I bought two of these, one for me and one for my educator daughter. Bottom line: this car gets terrible gas mileage, lucky to get 19 on the interstate. It loses oil that "vanishes"; such as all oil gone after 4,000 miles- bone dry. and out of oil after oil change and 1500 miles. Brake job after 20K miles. Replace S belt after 20K miles. I have NEVER had a car that has lost oil like this, even "oil burners"; never a brake job after 20K miles, should go 40K. and NEVER EVER loss of the sperpentine belt. and I am absolutely certain that problems will continue and more come
Favorite Features
outside and inside style. seats are comfortable.
Suggested Improvements
get a 4 cylinder that does not lose oil fast. build one where the brake pads last even per average of a us car. build a car that gets decent mileage. heck my 1/2 ton truck gets 25 on the road. make belts that last. or just don't make this car anymore. it is a bad, bad car. I sold both of mine to dealers. and would not sell to a private party.
By hank81
on 01/26/14 05:59 AM (PST)

This is a continuation of my comments of 1/25/14. Went back (160 mile round trip) to the GMC dealership in Bowling Green, KY, yesterday (1/25/14). I requested the vehicle be repaired and that I would pay the $4,761.70 out-of-pocket to have the engine replaced but that I would do everything possible to get my money back from either the dealership or GM. The dealership now refuses to "touch" the vehicle. From all indications, I now have a $27,000 lawn ornament.

By hank81
on 01/25/14 03:17 AM (PST)

Previous comment looks to have been written by a GM sales rep. After losing your engine oil you will very likely have catastrophic engine failure just after the drive train warranty expires. I have 2 2012 SLE's. One is currently at the dealership in Bowling Green, KY, with a seized engine. Dealership says I will have to pay $5000 to get it replaced. It is just out of 100K warranty. Back when it was in warranty, it came out of their shop twice (2 times!) with a cracked oil filter cap and lost all of its oil within 75 miles. At the time dealer avowed that engine had not been damaged - but it sure is now that it's out of warranty! As I said, I have 2 SLE's.Both get 18 mpg city and 23 mpg overall. GMC must have gotten their MPG rating while they were on the back of a tow truck.

By evnsptc
on 11/23/13 10:28 AM (PST)

I am not saying that you're lying, but I recently bought 2 Terrains. One a 2011 SLE-2 AWD 2.4L and a 2012 SLT-2 FWD 2.4L. They now both have over 35K miles and I can't say enough good things about them! My 11's rating are 20/29 and I get around 19/31! My 12's ratings are 22/32 and I get 23/34! The interior is wonderfully put and the exterior is gorgeous! The brakes have been fine for me, maybe you just got some bad ones? I can go 6-7K miles before I run out (I use Castrol synthetic). It is not a bad, bad car at all! You probably got a bad car (lemon). The 2016 model will have GM's new Ecotec 2.5L I4 (found in the Malibu and ATS) that has around 205HP and 195LB-FT. I am sure there will be a mild hybrid model with eAssist, Regen. Brakes, Start/Stop and a 2-Mode 8-Speed Auto with a 1.4L Turbo I4 (VVT, SIDI & iVVL) that has 160HP and 178LB-FT (Plus about 15HP from eAssist).