Used 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 SUV Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 GMC Terrain SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 GMC Terrain SUV

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Very Nice Vehicle - No Complaints
By Alan D.

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have a 2012 STL-1 and couldn't be happier. It has more than 119,000 miles on it and not one serious mechanical issue. We had one check engine light issue. It was a minor repair costing less than $100.00. We've never had to add oil between changes. As far as fuel mileage, we average 26.6 overall, 22 in town and 29.8 on the highway at 68 MPH, our normal highway speed. In town, we don't make jack-rabbit starts and approach stop signs slowly. Also, dealers, no matter the company, are required to use the EPA fuel mileage estimates. They test these cars with no passengers, no wind resistance, no A/C with no stops and starts. Chances of getting the published fuel mileage is very unlikely. The dealership isn't lying, in most cases. They just report the EPA findings.

The car is comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Every thing has worked as it should from day one. A far as those folks who complain about the turning radius, "mushy" brakes and relatively slow acceleration ... did you not drive the vehicle first? If so, you should have noticed these things before your purchase. If you didn't test drive it, then you have no one to blame but yourself. Our dealer let us test drive for about 15 miles, part in town, part on the highway. Of course, you would have had no idea about the oil consumption issues several folks have mentioned. That would not be your fault.

We are very leased with our Terrain. And no, I am not in anyway connected to General Motors. This is the first General Motors product I have owned since a 1960 Chevy station wagon I bought in 1974. Here's wishing everyone the best of luck with their GMC Terrain.

Message board..engine light issues...no solution
By kb72210

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Terrain in June 2012. The first year was good nothing out of the ordinary with regular maintenance. As the end of the second year approached I started having random engine light, Stabili Trak messages appearing. I am on my 4th service call with the dealership. The last time 2 months ago they kept my vehicle for one week and found nothing they could repair. The first time they diagnosed a carbon build-up which they cleaned for a fee, the second time nothing could be found, the 3rd time nothing and today I could not drive much above 55 mph on the highway. The car was sluggish and seemed to have no pick-up. I felt like it would stall any minute. I did stall eventually. Frustrated!!!

Don't buy a 2012-2014 Terrain
By rondavis1

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My 2012 Terrain has 38,000 miles on the odometer and uses 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles. The Dealer that falls within GM's specs????? No wonder they had to be bailed out.
I get 21.5 mpg overall
with the 4 cyl/auto and that is below the EPA city rating.
The navigation had to be replaced plus the transmission needed replacement at 32,000 miles.

My favorite feature is that the Terrain belongs to my wife and not me.

Customer service!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY FOR FUEL ECONOMY
By lakegirl2003

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I originally bought a V6 Terrain which got around 25mpg. It was totaled so then I bought a V4 thinking I would get at least 27mpg which I would be satisfied with since it is a SUV. I get between 22-24mpg with the V4. I take 70miles of interstate and drive 75mph to work. Extremely disappointed the first day of work with my new Terrain then I thought well maybe it needs broken in. It also is a loud idle engine like a almost ticking sound. The dealership checked it out and said it sounds like a V4. I have problems with the transmission sticking at 3rpms for a long time then it decides to shift up. My back up camera has blanked out about 4 times. Besides that it is very nice vehicle.

Power lift gate to let dogs in and out. climate control is very nice. I set the temp and the car does the rest. Don't have to change the temp up and down all the time.

Advertise true life mpg and fix the computer and transmission.

I Love It!!!
By ewag41

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have always liked the Terrain look, ordered 2012 New in 2011, received on time, dealership very honest on pricing and reviewing options on vehicle before delivering. Courtesy Chevrolet -Kingsport, TN.

AWD- 4 cyl. Like sound of engine and the shifting.
Years ago you got this effect with a pure STICK.
Has a manual option, comes in handy on downgrades and when coming to a stop.
AWD handles good on curvy roads.

On trip to N.Y. got 26.8, which is good. Used ECO all the time.

Steering is very good once you adapt to the electric format. Very steady on highway, does not wander.

Room:Well I am able to haul the same stuff I use to haul with my Trail Blazer, but with better MPG- way better::