Used 2012 GMC Terrain SUV Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 GMC Terrain SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 GMC Terrain SUV

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Very Nice Vehicle - No Complaints
By Alan D.

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have a 2012 STL-1 and couldn't be happier. It has more than 119,000 miles on it and not one serious mechanical issue. We had one check engine light issue. It was a minor repair costing less than $100.00. We've never had to add oil between changes. As far as fuel mileage, we average 26.6 overall, 22 in town and 29.8 on the highway at 68 MPH, our normal highway speed. In town, we don't make jack-rabbit starts and approach stop signs slowly. Also, dealers, no matter the company, are required to use the EPA fuel mileage estimates. They test these cars with no passengers, no wind resistance, no A/C with no stops and starts. Chances of getting the published fuel mileage is very unlikely. The dealership isn't lying, in most cases. They just report the EPA findings.

The car is comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Every thing has worked as it should from day one. A far as those folks who complain about the turning radius, "mushy" brakes and relatively slow acceleration ... did you not drive the vehicle first? If so, you should have noticed these things before your purchase. If you didn't test drive it, then you have no one to blame but yourself. Our dealer let us test drive for about 15 miles, part in town, part on the highway. Of course, you would have had no idea about the oil consumption issues several folks have mentioned. That would not be your fault.

We are very leased with our Terrain. And no, I am not in anyway connected to General Motors. This is the first General Motors product I have owned since a 1960 Chevy station wagon I bought in 1974. Here's wishing everyone the best of luck with their GMC Terrain.

LOAD HER UP!
By Dennis Lamport

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This 4 cyl is fully capable of annual trips to Florida Keys, LOADED with 2 kayaks on top, 2 bikes on behind and pulling a small boat trailer while getting satisfactory mileage . MPG is much better at 60 than at 75 mph! Very comfortable car.

I loved my car!
By thomas Stafford

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The vehicle was a pleasure to drive. It was cheap to keep. Got good gas mileage. Too bad it was totaled in an accident.

Engine Powered down 3 times
By John Silvani

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Dangerous when engine powers down on highway for no apparent reason.....69 miles an hour to 40 in seconds with truck baring down on you...Three times in 37000 miles on a 2012 GMC Terrain. Just fixed on Wdnesday picked up on friday 3-11-15 andf powered down again on 3-13-16 with family members in car ioncluding a 3 year old grandson.

Engine Problems
By B Porter

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 GMC Terrain used a little over a year ago. I noticed about 6 months ago that while at a stop sign, it wanted to jerk forward while my foot was on the brake. I called my dealer and they said it may be low on oil. I took it in and they performed an oil change, saying it was low on oil. The problem was fixed, but I noticed it was not running smooth. Now understand, I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever, and there was no check engine light. Then last week it started jerking again and almost stalling out. Once again, I called the dealership and made an appointment. Before I could get in, I was at an intersection and the car stalled out. And thankfully, it was right in front of my dealership. I limped it in and they said I had less than a quart of oil. They would do a oil change. Long story short, the cylinder head needs to be replaced. My car only has 60,000 miles on it.