Used 2012 GMC Terrain SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Gmc Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Four cylinder engine
By hydiesel

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned two four cylinders. 2010 30,000 miles engine replaced using excessive oil. 2012 at 32000 miles engine rebuilt (was told they didn't replace them any more ) I don't think GM knows how to build a good four cylinder. I am driving a gas guzzling V6, hope it can go past the dreaded 30,000 mile mark.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage was fair I was getting 28 avg. mileagei

Suggested Improvements

Learn to build a four cylinder that can last longer than 30,000 miles.

Will not buy American again
By jclablanc

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So I again trusted the american Manufacture to my demise. I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Honda, Toyota, Nissan and BMW. The only vehicles I have not had problems with are the freaking Japanese vehicles, which really pisses me off. Why can we the American people not make a solid vehicle that can be reliable. Every American Vehicle I have owned did not last 30k miles without some type of issue. My latest Toyota has 112k miles with no issues to date owned for 8 years now. This piece of trash, unreliable Terrain I have had for 11 months been in for 3 Engine Lights. Its gets no where near the gas mileage stated, 23mpg on free way stated 31 ha!

Favorite Features

Exterior looks great, interior is awesome

Suggested Improvements

The whole engine. I have read nothing but problems with the 2.4l. Just didn't start reading about it until I started having the issues!

Message board..engine light issues...no solution
By kb72210

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Terrain in June 2012. The first year was good nothing out of the ordinary with regular maintenance. As the end of the second year approached I started having random engine light, Stabili Trak messages appearing. I am on my 4th service call with the dealership. The last time 2 months ago they kept my vehicle for one week and found nothing they could repair. The first time they diagnosed a carbon build-up which they cleaned for a fee, the second time nothing could be found, the 3rd time nothing and today I could not drive much above 55 mph on the highway. The car was sluggish and seemed to have no pick-up. I felt like it would stall any minute. I did stall eventually. Frustrated!!!

AWD 4 CYL 2014
By oldirongut

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When I saw the size of the vehicle with the 4cyl. plus AWD I was skepital about performance Of Couse! First Things, K & N Air Filter, next , Mobil One at 500 Miles, Interior is gorgeous, Performance, 23 City, 27. Hwy. Complaint...Wish it had more ground clearance for snow. Plus...Everything, Nice Mfg. Effort

Favorite Features

Interior Is Great even on the SLE

Suggested Improvements

More Ground Clearnce

Don't buy a 2012-2014 Terrain
By rondavis1

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My 2012 Terrain has 38,000 miles on the odometer and uses 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles. The Dealer that falls within GM's specs????? No wonder they had to be bailed out. I get 21.5 mpg overall with the 4 cyl/auto and that is below the EPA city rating. The navigation had to be replaced plus the transmission needed replacement at 32,000 miles.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is that the Terrain belongs to my wife and not me.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service!!!!!!!