2012 GMC Terrain SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
Terrain Problems
By shirleyl on 12/28/13 10:04 AM (PST)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my new terrain in May 2012 after just having it a short time the navigation screen would go very dim and then bright. I took it to dealership more than once, they did not know why or how to fix it after trying several times. I contacted GMC corporate about the problem. It is still not fixed. I stopped taking it to dealership because if they can't fix it why take it in. Now I have another problem. My ck engine light coming on. Took it to dealership, it is a random misfire, they don't know why or how to fix it. It's in there for 2nd time in one wk I now have the gen mgr involved- I refuse to get stuck with a lemon. I have a loaner vehicle

Junk Parts in Car and Junk Manufacture
By exec17 on 08/15/13 12:38 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

do not buy this vehicle. I am over 60 and have had over 30 cars in my life. this one is the WORST as to mechanical problems. I bought two of these, one for me and one for my educator daughter. Bottom line: this car gets terrible gas mileage, lucky to get 19 on the interstate. It loses oil that "vanishes"; such as all oil gone after 4,000 miles- bone dry. and out of oil after oil change and 1500 miles. Brake job after 20K miles. Replace S belt after 20K miles. I have NEVER had a car that has lost oil like this, even "oil burners"; never a brake job after 20K miles, should go 40K. and NEVER EVER loss of the sperpentine belt. and I am absolutely certain that problems will continue and more come

BAD BAD FUEL ECONOMY
By aray5 on 05/28/13 16:15 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Do not "presume" that you will get anywhere near the sticker mpg with your Terrain. You won't. Our sticker showed 22-32 and we get 23.8. GMC is not "playing fair" by having EPA conduct the fuel tests so that lawsuits are avoided. Apparantly the only way to get close to 32 mpg is by driving between 48-60mph on a flat or slightly sloping downward road...If you are plagued by poor fuel economy with your Terrain, I urge you to call GMC and your GMC dealer and voice your complaint!

Great Little Truck!
By janebryson on 03/24/13 16:16 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Practical, safe, comfortable, and good looking!! My kids and I love this vehicle so far!!

LOVE IT except for the transmission jerks.
By jtapp1 on 03/15/13 21:36 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We've had our Terrain for 6 months. Always have been a loyal GM customer. The Terrain stole our hearts when we decided to purchase a new vehicle. Its sharp. Inside and out. LOVE the interior and all the cool features. There is one problem......transmission slips/jerks. I have 9,000 miles on it. When I took it into the dealership they had a "transmission" specialist come out to talk to me. I explained the jerking/slipping and he urged me to take him for a drive. The entire time instead of observing the ride he explained to me that it was just the "engine recharging" because of the eco motor. I call BS. It seems to be getting worse. Anyone else had this issue??

2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, Great except gas mileage.
By rkaydc on 01/27/13 10:01 AM (PST)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When purchasing this car last year the mileage was listed at 18-26 mpg. It barely gets 19 mpg, and so far its never met 20 mpg's. In this day and age its terrible that we cant be getting at least 25 mpg's

DO NOT BUY FOR FUEL ECONOMY
By lakegirl2003 on 12/29/12 18:04 PM (PST)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I originally bought a V6 Terrain which got around 25mpg. It was totaled so then I bought a V4 thinking I would get at least 27mpg which I would be satisfied with since it is a SUV. I get between 22-24mpg with the V4. I take 70miles of interstate and drive 75mph to work. Extremely disappointed the first day of work with my new Terrain then I thought well maybe it needs broken in. It also is a loud idle engine like a almost ticking sound. The dealership checked it out and said it sounds like a V4. I have problems with the transmission sticking at 3rpms for a long time then it decides to shift up. My back up camera has blanked out about 4 times. Besides that it is very nice vehicle.

Be careful when you buy this vehicle!
By cnorborg on 10/08/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall I like my Terrain, love my dealer, but definitely not a fan of GM. The terrain is a small SUV, does ok for a dog owner like me, not a fan of the seats not folding fully flat. The leather seats get a bit warm and it drives a bit stiff. The AC struggles to get the car cold when its hot outside, a bit undersized for the type of vehicle for living in a desert like Albuquerque. My biggest complaint stems from something I noticed and mentioned to the dealer the first time I took the car in for an oil change. The color backup camera is 99% of the time showing up B&W. In dealing with GM, I find they are simply trying to make excuses and not fix the problem. They say it's "as designed"

Great Car!
By jlbigguy on 08/28/12 18:29 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have my 2012 Terrain for 1 week now, and after 900 miles I am impressed. Getting 30.5 mpg on the highway, and overall average is 27mpg. This is with ECO mode on. Very smooth and quiet ride, no wind noise at all. The car feels solid, and is very comfortable (premium cloth seats). I have more room then in my old 2004 Pontiac Montana, and I am 6'6" tall. Can hardly tell the engine is running when at idle. Very pleased with my purchase.

Poor fuel economy
By owner13 on 08/20/12 13:07 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Actual mileage much less than advertised. 27-28(on a good day) hghway, 15-16 in town. Poorer than the usual poor visibiity found in SUVs.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 GMC Terrain Suv in NJ is:

$214 per month*