Used 2012 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

2012 GMC Terrain

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

I loved my car!
By thomas Stafford

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The vehicle was a pleasure to drive. It was cheap to keep. Got good gas mileage. Too bad it was totaled in an accident.

Engine Powered down 3 times
By John Silvani

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Dangerous when engine powers down on highway for no apparent reason.....69 miles an hour to 40 in seconds with truck baring down on you...Three times in 37000 miles on a 2012 GMC Terrain. Just fixed on Wdnesday picked up on friday 3-11-15 andf powered down again on 3-13-16 with family members in car ioncluding a 3 year old grandson.

Engine Problems
By B Porter

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 GMC Terrain used a little over a year ago. I noticed about 6 months ago that while at a stop sign, it wanted to jerk forward while my foot was on the brake. I called my dealer and they said it may be low on oil. I took it in and they performed an oil change, saying it was low on oil. The problem was fixed, but I noticed it was not running smooth. Now understand, I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever, and there was no check engine light. Then last week it started jerking again and almost stalling out. Once again, I called the dealership and made an appointment. Before I could get in, I was at an intersection and the car stalled out. And thankfully, it was right in front of my dealership. I limped it in and they said I had less than a quart of oil. They would do a oil change. Long story short, the cylinder head needs to be replaced. My car only has 60,000 miles on it.

Use oil and fuel, over and over and over and over
By Anthony LaGrasta

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car for MPG, only to find out it does't get anywhere near the rating, 30% less than rated. What's more it also uses oil at an insane rate; 1 quart per 1,000 miles, no exaggeration. If that wasn't enough, complaints to GM went unanswered. How could they ignore such claims? Come to find out, they knew of this problem, but never mentioned or acknowledged it, so disappointed. Wish we could just get out from under this, get our money back, start fresh. $30,000 down the drain.

BEWARE!!! STAY CLEAR OF THIS VEHICLE!!
By Gina Lehigh

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After reading numerous complaints it is totally insane that GM is not backing THEIR product!! I have a 2012 GMC Terrain, 4 cylinder. I am also experiencing a lot of what others have written on here. I am going through oil like crazy and my favorite part is the "dummy" light is not even coming on to tell me. I am checking my oil weekly and having oil changes every 2,500 miles with Penzoil Full Synthetic. The only code that has ever appeared is the cam shaft sensor, which I replaced, but I still continue to have oil consumption issues. It is ridiculous that GM will not investigate this issue after numerous complaints. I also experience the shifting issues (jerking when taking off from a stop). This car is total garbage and I will continue to just put oil into it and I refuse to replace an engine on a car that is 3 years old that I have documentation that I have properly maintained. COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS UNTIL THIS PIECE OF JUNK IS PAID OFF!!!!