2012 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
Four cylinder engine
By hydiesel on 10/06/14 14:09 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned two four cylinders. 2010 30,000 miles engine replaced using excessive oil. 2012 at 32000 miles engine rebuilt (was told they didn't replace them any more ) I don't think GM knows how to build a good four cylinder. I am driving a gas guzzling V6, hope it can go past the dreaded 30,000 mile mark.

Will not buy American again
By jclablanc on 07/25/14 11:28 AM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So I again trusted the american Manufacture to my demise. I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Honda, Toyota, Nissan and BMW. The only vehicles I have not had problems with are the freaking Japanese vehicles, which really pisses me off. Why can we the American people not make a solid vehicle that can be reliable. Every American Vehicle I have owned did not last 30k miles without some type of issue. My latest Toyota has 112k miles with no issues to date owned for 8 years now. This piece of trash, unreliable Terrain I have had for 11 months been in for 3 Engine Lights. Its gets no where near the gas mileage stated, 23mpg on free way stated 31 ha!

Message board..engine light issues...no solution
By kb72210 on 06/23/14 20:41 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Terrain in June 2012. The first year was good nothing out of the ordinary with regular maintenance. As the end of the second year approached I started having random engine light, Stabili Trak messages appearing. I am on my 4th service call with the dealership. The last time 2 months ago they kept my vehicle for one week and found nothing they could repair. The first time they diagnosed a carbon build-up which they cleaned for a fee, the second time nothing could be found, the 3rd time nothing and today I could not drive much above 55 mph on the highway. The car was sluggish and seemed to have no pick-up. I felt like it would stall any minute. I did stall eventually. Frustrated!!!

AWD 4 CYL 2014
By oldirongut on 05/27/14 20:50 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When I saw the size of the vehicle with the 4cyl. plus AWD I was skepital about performance Of Couse! First Things, K & N Air Filter, next , Mobil One at 500 Miles, Interior is gorgeous, Performance, 23 City, 27. Hwy. Complaint...Wish it had more ground clearance for snow. Plus...Everything, Nice Mfg. Effort

Don't buy a 2012-2014 Terrain
By rondavis1 on 05/10/14 10:09 AM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My 2012 Terrain has 38,000 miles on the odometer and uses 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles. The Dealer that falls within GM's specs????? No wonder they had to be bailed out. I get 21.5 mpg overall with the 4 cyl/auto and that is below the EPA city rating. The navigation had to be replaced plus the transmission needed replacement at 32,000 miles.

Air bags failed to deploy
By ronin15 on 04/24/14 06:20 AM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Ran off road, hit a tree... received a concussion as head "bounced" off steering wheel. If bags had deployed, would not have been knocked out via striking head and perhaps I could have avoided massive damage to vehicle and 2 days in hospital.

Terrain Problems
By shirleyl on 12/28/13 10:04 AM (PST)

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my new terrain in May 2012 after just having it a short time the navigation screen would go very dim and then bright. I took it to dealership more than once, they did not know why or how to fix it after trying several times. I contacted GMC corporate about the problem. It is still not fixed. I stopped taking it to dealership because if they can't fix it why take it in. Now I have another problem. My ck engine light coming on. Took it to dealership, it is a random misfire, they don't know why or how to fix it. It's in there for 2nd time in one wk I now have the gen mgr involved- I refuse to get stuck with a lemon. I have a loaner vehicle

Junk Parts in Car and Junk Manufacture
By exec17 on 08/15/13 12:38 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

do not buy this vehicle. I am over 60 and have had over 30 cars in my life. this one is the WORST as to mechanical problems. I bought two of these, one for me and one for my educator daughter. Bottom line: this car gets terrible gas mileage, lucky to get 19 on the interstate. It loses oil that "vanishes"; such as all oil gone after 4,000 miles- bone dry. and out of oil after oil change and 1500 miles. Brake job after 20K miles. Replace S belt after 20K miles. I have NEVER had a car that has lost oil like this, even "oil burners"; never a brake job after 20K miles, should go 40K. and NEVER EVER loss of the sperpentine belt. and I am absolutely certain that problems will continue and more come

BAD BAD FUEL ECONOMY
By aray5 on 05/28/13 16:15 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Do not "presume" that you will get anywhere near the sticker mpg with your Terrain. You won't. Our sticker showed 22-32 and we get 23.8. GMC is not "playing fair" by having EPA conduct the fuel tests so that lawsuits are avoided. Apparantly the only way to get close to 32 mpg is by driving between 48-60mph on a flat or slightly sloping downward road...If you are plagued by poor fuel economy with your Terrain, I urge you to call GMC and your GMC dealer and voice your complaint!

Great Little Truck!
By janebryson on 03/24/13 16:16 PM (PDT)

2012 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Practical, safe, comfortable, and good looking!! My kids and I love this vehicle so far!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 GMC Terrain in VA is:

$134 per month*