2011 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
love our terrain
By tombeaversr on 06/29/11 20:02 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our terrain in Feb. 2011 and now have over 6700 miles on it. avg. mpg is 24.8 to 29.5 local and 29 to 33.2 hwy. The seats are good butnot as comfortable as the 1999 buick lesable that we had but the terrain does handle much better. The 4 cyl is not a dog if you wind it up but you can definitly tell that the old girl weighs a lot. In stop and go traffic it is real easy to get mpg down to 22. With cruise set at 65-70 on reasonably flat ground we get 29.8-33.2. have not got use to unlock button being in middle of dash. No problems yet. Buick lasted 233,000 miles. Hope this GMC does too.

Gas Mileage Is Terrible
By mjhow on 06/26/11 18:02 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We looked at Hondas, Mazdas and Toyotas. We finally chose the GMC Terrain based upon its size, design and most importantly it 22/32 gas mileage. I live in the South Carolina low country which is quite flat. I took the GMC on two trips to Florida on flat 4 lane easy roads. One to Tampa and one to Jacksonville from Hilton Head Island. Gas mileage to and from Tampa averaged 22-23 miles per gallon, not 32 miles per gallon. While on one trip I made various tests to determine that it is virtually impossible to get 32 miles per gallon. The closest you get is driving under 60 miles an hour on an easy Interstate with no A/C. City mileage is equally as terrible. Do not buy this for gas mileage.

15k later
By tim4711 on 06/25/11 21:52 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

2010 SLE 1 Terrain. I couldn't be happier. Unlike some other unlucky owners my Terrain has performed exactly to spec. My mileage(If I drive under 65mph) hovers right around 27mpg. If I drive over 70 then I get around 24mpg. Around town I am getting 18-20 Mpg. The only issue I have had is my lumbar bladder needed to be replaced. Of course this was a typical GM design error meaning that the replacement was much better. All in all I have no complaints. It's a nice 4cyl. car. For those of you that don't know about the ecotech engine. Try cruising at about 75. I think you might be surprised at how the car feels:)

Great vehicle!
By dsinc72 on 06/24/11 14:06 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Terrain for approx 3 weeks now and I love it so far. The interior is very spacious and comfortable, and the ride is very smooth and quiet. The engine does not accelerate super quick, but it is a 4 cyl, so that was expected. I recently drove to Tucson (slight drop in elevation) and got 34 mph, and 29 mph on the way back (sticking to 75-80mph). After a week of driving back and forth to work and in town, my overall avg. was just under 25 mpg. For the people stating they cannot get good gas milage from their Terrain, how fast are you driving? If you are going 85-90 mph, you are not going to get good gas milage on the hwy.

Buy something else
By londregan on 06/23/11 19:50 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I just read a review where the writer complained of engine issues/camshaft solenoid issues. I had the same exact problem with my 2011 Terrain. Six and a half weeks after driving it, the engine began to hesitate to a stall. I took it in for service and I was told it was the solenoid. A week later it happened again and I was told the mechanic didnít attached a hose right. I have 5000 miles on the truck and I am still not getting anywhere near 30 mpg as stated on the fuel mileage. I am driving 55 mph on the highway with cruise control, and eco mode on. Is my engine breaking in still, or is it safe to assume I got a Lemon? Do yourself a favor and buy a Toyota or Honda.

Luxury car snob "loves" her new Terrain!!!
By minnow4 on 06/20/11 08:50 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So I'm one of those people who has only owned high-end luxury cars for the greater part of my adult life. We needed to replace my Q7 after 5 years of owning what we felt was a severely over engineered, annoying vehicle. We purchased a Saab convertible but I was kind of uncomfortable in it after 10yrs of driving an SUV, so we decided to trade in my husband's car & got this & I've taken it over! I absolutely love everything about it, the Audi got about 15 mpg at the end and this is just so nice when we have to visit the gas station. It's very well appointed and I'm really enjoying the OnStar system. I've been singing it's praises to anyone who'll listen! Buy with complete confidence!

Give the gas mileage some time!
By mab13 on 06/20/11 06:11 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have heard numerous complaints about the gas mileage. I will say, I was one of those people complaining until I took a recent trip and drove nearly 1,500 miles. At this point, I have 6,000 total miles on my Terrain and I can finally say, I AM getting the gas mileage advertised. Until my trip, I was lucky to get 24-26. I am now fairly steady at 29-31. Drove into work this morning (a 1-hour commute) at 30.6 the entire way. I was told to give it time but I was a nay sayer. I'm happy to say, it was true. After a good "break-in" period, my Terrain is getting gas mileage. Outside of that, I have no issues whatsoever with this vehicle. It's rugged in appearance and drives wonderfully!

My Gas Mileage Experience
By prbart1 on 06/19/11 22:35 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Since I bought my Terrain, I have put 6,469 miles on it, doing mainly "suburban" driving in the Chicago area (stop signs or traffic lights about every mile, on average). In this type of driving (ECO mode on), I now average between 24 & 25 mpg. When the car was new, the mileage was not this high, but it increased as the engine got broken in. I've also take two road trips in this vehicle (ECO mode off): the first was about 300 miles when the engine was still in "break-in" mode & I got 28.0 mpg. The second trip was about 950 miles, after the "break-in" period (Interstate at a steady 70 mph), & I got 29.8 mpg. I calculate my mpg precisely, so this data is as accurate as I can make it.

Gift Gone Bad!!!!Engine Problems.
By asford0211 on 06/16/11 07:22 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My husband brought this junk for my mothers day gift. The service dept drove the truck more than ME!!! The truck cut off while driving on a major highway three times. The dealer stated they couldn't understand why the check engine light stayed on and they couldn't locate the problem. Finally they changed the intake camshift solenoid sensor???? Wish me luck folks...what a gift..thank you honey for the LEMON!!!!!

EPA Mileage is accurate --- under right conditions
By new_terrain on 06/07/11 14:47 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I live in a semi rural area where it's possible to drive with cruise control set at 50 - 55 MPH. Under these conditions, it's entirely possible to get the rated 32 MPG. The EPA definition of "Highway" does not mean "expressway" or "interstate". The EPA test methodology is explained at: [HTML deleted] Note that the average speed on an EPA highway mileage test run is 48.3 MPH. Obviously this isn't representative of a morning commute on an urban expressway. However, the same method is used by the EPA for all vehicles. Even if your driving habits differ, the EPA numbers are still useful on a relative basis. PS I think it's a great vehicle

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 GMC Terrain in VA is:

$114 per month*