Used 2011 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

four times unlucky
By joemxz

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i bought the terrain with awd v6 with plans of towing my rv and it has been good however the last month it was been burning oil? and its been in the shop 3 times to be fixed and each time it is something else fron solenoids to oil seals and now its doing it again with less than 30000 miles on it. each time its been in shop 4 days and now i am taking it back its frustrating to say but warranty is helping but once its up scary hope its four time lucky

V6 power and awd is awesome itsnows alot in nova scotia and i have 18 inch tires on it. seats are comfortable and love the seats can be moved back

miles per gallon is not as advertised but AWD and V6 doesnt help. i am averaging 26-29 Canandian and we have bigger gallons than u yanks so its anot a true refelction

I got suckered into buying this based on Gas Mileage
By vlazo

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Im very disappointed in my purchase of the 2011 GMC Terrian. When i bought this i was told like most about the amazing gas milegae that ranged from 23-32 mpg so i made the decision that for my first new car i would go with the 2.4L 4 cylinder FWD model to maximaze fuel econonmy. I have never seen more then 23.6 miles per gallon and that was after putting in premium gasoline(which is not called for i was just doing anything i could to get better gas mileage) and highway driving...whats wrong with this picture??? I average 21.9 mgh normally & my car has 21,000 miles so it doesnt need to b broke in like i was told by my dealer.

Comfortable ride but vehicles power sucks! Interior with all the features is nice to have but so what i cant afford to drive it at this point. I took a bath on this. I lost my $8000 for trade and ive paid $4500 to drive this vehicle for 10 months now i want to get ride of it and i cant get more then what i owe $24000... i was suckered by GMC and my Dealer into believeing that this car would get what its advertised to get!! Maybe the commerical should read...In a perfect word this suv could get 32mpg highway but in the real world its no where close so keep dreaming and has no power to back it up.

maybe advertise the real fuel economy. I did a 3 and 1/2hr trip to Maine from Massusetts and at best when i calucted my gas myself got 21.7 on way there and 22.4 on way back and i was going 70mph cruse control. VERY UNHAPPY with being mislead, never wouldve bought a GMC TERRRAIN if i knew it was gonna be this poor.

Back to Toyota!!!!
By dsgarvey

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a 2011 Terrain SLE-1, then had leather, DVD and sunroof added, just came out cheaper that way. Sunroof messed up within about six months, air condition stopped working around the same time in the middle of summer. The 4 cylinder is so under powered it's pathetic and makes the worst sounds when cranking up. Also here lately it's been dying after being started. Now the gas mileage, well it sucks! GMC must measure MPG alot different than I do, but I have never got close to 32 on the highway. The average with about 70% highway and 30% city stays at 19mpg. We are looking to getting back into a Toyota ASAP while this thing is still running.

Looks cool

Send the thing back to the factory and start over!

7 times in the shop first year
By kathy75

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I thought I was exchanging a 9 year Murano that was needing it's 5 transmission (which was still under warranty and was no longer reliable as something I could depend on, wrong! This 2011 terrain has been in the shop 7 times for a total of the same 3 problems. 4 times for cutting off and cutting out on me, the lift gate made loud noises when it got hot and finally after 5 times in the shop in which they told me unless it makes the notice when it is in here you will just have wait until breaks, well it did and came down on my head. The air stopped working last summer twice while it was in the high 90's you could turn it back on after about 20 minutes and it would work again.

At this point under NC law it is considered a lemon so I am hiring a lawyer. At this point I can no longer remember any favorite features I hate this car.

Put the lock button back on the door the console is not a good place for it. My Murrano was not any longer than the Terrain but it had a lot more interior room, there is too much front end and not enough interior room. Put bigger tires on it so the ride is better. Don't post the mileage as 24 city and 32 highway when the best it gets is 26 hwy. and 19-21 in city. Fix the air controls 73 does not mean 60 degrees. It was 55 degree outside and I had the air set on 73 and it was blowing cold air as hard as it could and that was most likely what was making the air last summer stop working it was freezing up.

2011 GMC Terrain Poor Gas Mileage
By longbow1

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased our 2011 GMC Terrain Feb 2011 and still waiting for 32 mpg. If I knew the mileage was going to suck I'd purchase the V6 to give me better pick up, passing acceleration, and cruise control performance going up freeway hills. We love our Terrain except for the engine and mpg. The best mileage experienced on our trips to Utah and Arizona from California is 23.2. Currently in the city 21.2. Where's the miles per gallon as advertised. Just saw a 2013 Terrain commercial on TV last night (3/25/12) boasting 32 mpg. Both my wife and I laughed!

I like the comfort of the seats, the rear passenger space and storage. Also, like the navigation capabilities, interior design.

Able to change or find location on the Navigation while driving. The passenger can use it while the driver drives. I hate having to stop to make changes. Have more metrics displayed on the screen or instrument panel than just mpg, avg speed, instantaneous fuel, etc. Miles per gallon to live to its advertise rate.