2011 GMC Terrain SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
A BIG MISTAKE
By sgthaight on 02/08/12 16:12 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Leased this vehicle in 4 cylinder, was promised 26/32 mpg city/highway. A BLATANT LIE FROM GMC! Veh gets 14-16 in town and can't get over 21 on the highway. GMC was contacted and set up a service check at the dealer. They came up with every phony excuse you could think of. Too much weight in the veh (which is empty) to the mileage gauge must be reset every time ( even though the On-Star app says the lifetiMe average mileage of both city/highway is 17). Avoid this car at all expense, it has no power and the mileage SUCKS. GMC will try to blame you for the crummy mileage if you complain. Searching for a lawyer to take on the big GMC Corp. Buy American, but not this American vehicle.

Really Disappointed in my Terrain...
By sllmd0202 on 02/04/12 17:26 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My husband and I bought the 2011 GMC Terrain about a year ago. In the last six months, its been in the shop twice now. The first time was for an electrical issue...a terminal in the back of the car had corroded causing it to pull power on the ignition and drain the battery. It took the dealership almost two weeks to diagnose and fix. Then, six months later it would start but anytime you gave it gas, it would cut off. Still in the shop after two weeks with no answer. As both my husband and I being prior Toyota owners, I definitely regret buying this car. I should have kept with Toyota. Just an overall bad experience.

Gas Mileage
By bwall2 on 01/28/12 15:13 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd posting about the horrible gas mileage of this vehicle. I would love a class action suit for performance....I bought it for the 32 mpg expecting to receive at least 27-28 mpg. How disgusting! I like driving my Camry Hybrid - 38-41 mpg - and 76,000 miles on it. No more GM products for me!

Milky white fluid 1st. Rusty brown 2nd.
By gunkedmotors on 01/12/12 20:42 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have a 2011 GMC Terrain SLT, and this is the second time it has been in the shop. Milky white fluid boiled out of the water reservoir the first time. The dealer said the tubes that ran inside the radiator busted causing the white milky substance. The radiator was replaced and did numerous wash cycles for 3 weeks. We got the car back and 2 days later the radiator busted in my driveway and rusty brown fluid spewed out of the radiator. The check engine light has yet to come on. The dealer said it was the same problem. I asked if they did compression check for blown head gasket, and never got an answer. Is it a bad radiator or to much compression in the radiator. January 22, 2012 is year.

False MPG: Just lost fifteen hundred bucks!
By retiredpilot1 on 01/09/12 21:16 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my 2011 Terrain for 15 months, 23,000 miles. This car cost me an extra $1500 last year in gas because the actual mileage (17/22) is NOT EVEN CLOSE to claimed. I am a retired airline pilot and mechanical engineer, I know how to glide thru air. It really peeves me that we allow such false and misleading advertising, whatever happened to good old honesty? See you at the class action claim hearing!

What can I do about gas mileage?
By mab13 on 12/30/11 09:09 AM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I will start by saying I am very careful when driving my vehicles to make sure I am getting the best gas mileage. I drive very appropriately. My gas mileage sucks. I traded in a Torrent for this and my Torrent got just about the same mileage, yet I paid a lot more for my Terrain! Now, I am stuck with a long commute to work and horribly gas mileage. They claim 32 hwy, I never expected 32, but I'm lucky to get 24-25, and again, I DO drive properly. Do I have any recourse for this? I'm pissing away money driving 2 hours per day thinking this care would save me money!

very disapointed
By lapitino on 12/21/11 16:06 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am very unhappy with my 2011 model. It is less than one year old and only has 15,000 miles on it. In the last two weeks it has been in for repair 3 different times. It has gone in for multiple issues, 2 out of 3 are yet to be fixed. I have been in a rental car for a total of 12 days now. My fear is that this is a sign of things to come. I plan to ask for a replacement vehicle or I will absolutely be contacting the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection. Did I mention the gas mileage it NOT what was advertised??

2011 GMC 3.0L V-6 DIR, GREAT SO FAR!
By luke22zm on 12/09/11 14:17 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Me and my wife just bought this car used with 31,000 miles on it. Got a great price on it and so far, its ran great. I was told by one person to stay away from the 3.0L V-6 and go 4-Cyl, but others told me it would be just fine. There is a knocking noise when it runs, 3 different certified GM dealers told me its normal with the car and the direct injection in it, it runs great and has no issues so I am going to take there word for it. Still have the powertrain warranty if something goes wrong anyway. Overall nice features, fun to drive, and sporty, rides smooth and is fun to drive! I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a SUV! Ours is FWD and we live in MN, drives great still!

surprized
By tmon4te on 11/29/11 09:26 AM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the vehicle with 19k miles on. It immediately needed a air intake sensor and valve. I travel about 350miles weekly and took a 1000 mile round trip with it. It is a smooth ride, not bad pick up even at higher speeds for a 4 cylinder. All the controls are readily accessible, not having to search them. With owning about a dozen cars in the past, I usually buy non-american, but liked the features and style on it so i gave it a shot and so far enjoying it. The biggest downfall I've seen was the suggested gas mileage. I'm getting about 18-24mpg, thats city and hwy at different speeds, but to counteract that you can get around 400 miles on a tank- I have bad driving habits though!

One year review...
By terndude on 11/07/11 21:18 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First, this is a V-6 Terrain AWD SLT-2, no V6 option in the list still... So, after one year of ownership, I can attest to the performance, comfort, and build quality of our 2011 Terrain. On freeway drives we get 23-26 MPG and towing a 1,400lb camper across the Cascades we still get around 21. Not sure what people are doing to those 4-bangers, but the 6 performs well under all scenarios we've been in. Hauled a new dishwasher in it last week with room to spare. Leather is a bit stiff but comfy and the sliding / reclining rear seat makes ample room for car seats and passengers over 6ft with ease. No problems whatsoever. AWD great in ice and snow, quiet, comfy, hugs the road.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 GMC Terrain Suv in VA is:

$114 per month*