Used 2011 GMC Terrain SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Gmc Terrain - Consumer Reviews

2011 GMC Terrain SUV

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Poor gas mileage / back up camera inside vehicle
By dusebout1

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Gas mileage is not good at all, never had the 32mpg as I was told. Going back and forth to work I average in the summer 29 mpg and in the cold it is even lower, highway driving is even less. Other vehicles I have owned gave me a higher gas mileage than stated on the highway sticker miles going back and forth to work, terribly disappointed with the Terrain. Talked to the dealer and he confirmed there were complaints it wasn't getting the predicted gas mileage. Back up mirror is not reliable, only shows directly behind you without even a little bit of a side view

Favorite Features

Terrain is very comfortable, has all the features needed and more.

Suggested Improvements

Should be honest about the gas mileage. Back up camera should have a beeper when you get close to something.

Lemon
By cybergoatguy

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I thought I was getting the same as everyone else when buying the 2011 Terrain, but looks like I've got the same issues and more - oil disappears (my service manager told me they were told by GM that there's a bug in the engine and it burns oil and they don't know why or how to resolve it - she told me to check and add oil every 1000kms). Also, my truck has 66000 kms, and it's been in the garage for two week periods twice in the last three months - I got it back yesterday and they've changed the tranmission (completely) and the timing belt. And other parts too many to mention. Lemon. I'm going to see what I can get from GM for "customer loyalty" and then trade it in.

Favorite Features

Exterior design is rugged. Really getting used to the rear camera. I can't park a regular vehicle anymore!

Suggested Improvements

Tell the truth. Recall if necessary.

GMC Bombed on ths one!!!!
By ava1969

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Needed a larger vehicle so traded my car in Dec 2010 for a new 2011 Terrain. I have always loved GMC but this has made me reconsider. They REALLY BOMBED on this one...its a JOKE! Its been in the shop many times. 1) Gas mileage is straight out a lie. Cannot get the gas mileage they claim by going down hill with a tail wind. 2) Leather seat cover zipper ripped wthin first year, also, they contiinue to pull up and away from the seats. 3) Service airbag light goes on and off and has been "fixed" several times...lol. 4) Rear storage charging port comes out...again, "fixed" several times. 5) AC has complete mind of its own. Will be workng great then blows hot air. 6) stalls and wont start

Favorite Features

look of the car. Spacious rear seat

Suggested Improvements

everything!!!! Stop making this model...it doesnt work and either stop lying about the gas mileage or change the actuals. If GMC is going to keep producing this model then redeem themselves and get the kinks worked out and recall the previous models.

A Lot of Issues and Problems
By cockermom

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2011 GMC Terrain SLE2 Automatic with a 4 cylinder engine. The engine is so small that this poor vehicle has terrible pick-up. It's dangerous to try and pass on the highway or pick up speed when merging because the pick up is so bad. Another major issue we have is that the engine seems to be hesitating or fluttering or it is stalling at low throttle which is extremely dangerous when driving period let alone driving up a hill. This problem warrants a recall. The doors are so lightweight that they will slam on you when opening/closing which is dangerous to passengers. This needs to be sorted by GMC as it's dangerous. Passenger airbag light doesn't work. Poor gas mileage.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable. The front seats can be heated which is great in the winter. Remote start is another cool feature that is convenient for winter start ups. The vehicle is supposed to handle well in snow. It comes with free Sirius radio as a trial. The arm rest has lots of storage inside.

Suggested Improvements

Doors need to be heavier as they are downright dangerous right now. They are too light and with slam closed with just the slightest wind or if you're parked on a hill. GMC needs to sort the engine stalling issue as this again is dangerous while driving. Make sure all functions work such as the passenger airbag light. Other lights don't seem to come on when there is a problem which is a problem in it of itself. Trunk could use more space as it's hindered by the design.

Using Oil
By graygrandma

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I agree with all the disappointing remarks regarding gas mileage. I don't care if it's the EPA or GMC - the public deserves the truth! My big worry now is that it's using oil. My car was showing 50+% life left before my oil change. The engine was making a loud noise and I took it to the dealer to find I had no oil showing on the dip stick. The check engine light NEVER came on! Since then my husband has consistantly checked the oil level and we have to keep adding oil in between oil changes. I have never had to do that with my vehicles. Anyone else using oil?

Favorite Features

I love the body style and the backseat leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Be honest about gas mileage. Put the buttons for the electric windows so that both driver & passenger can control the front door windows.