2011 GMC Terrain Poor Gas Mileage
By longbow1 on
2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Purchased our 2011 GMC Terrain Feb 2011 and still waiting for 32 mpg. If I knew the mileage was going to suck I'd purchase the V6 to give me better pick up, passing acceleration, and cruise control performance going up freeway hills. We love our Terrain except for the engine and mpg. The best mileage experienced on our trips to Utah and Arizona from California is 23.2. Currently in the city 21.2. Where's the miles per gallon as advertised. Just saw a 2013 Terrain commercial on TV last night (3/25/12) boasting 32 mpg. Both my wife and I laughed!
Favorite Features
I like the comfort of the seats, the rear passenger space and storage. Also, like the navigation capabilities, interior design.
Suggested Improvements
Able to change or find location on the Navigation while driving. The passenger can use it while the driver drives. I hate having to stop to make changes. Have more metrics displayed on the screen or instrument panel than just mpg, avg speed, instantaneous fuel, etc. Miles per gallon to live to its advertise rate.
By mgribble1
on 04/06/12 10:39 AM (PDT)

I need to let everyone in on some information that most are overlooking. You all want great gas milage wich in our economy is very understandable. What you are complaining about is that is that everyone is most are getting 22 to 27 miles per gallon from what everyone has said on here. what people are not getting is that a 2011 GMC TERRAIN with AWD is rated to get 21 to 29 mpg. A GMC FWD is rated 23 to 32 mpg and they are very accurate. So what everyone is doing is trying to find a way to put down a suv that gets the best fuel economy in its class. Next time you want to put down an American made vehical make sure you have all the facts. thank you

By chet11
on 05/08/12 09:46 AM (PDT)

Longbow statements above are 100% correct. Mgribble must work for GMC. I had a 4 cyl Terrain for 11 months and I could only average 22 mpg PERIOD! The sticker on the car showed 26-38 mpg! Commercials routinely state this car averages 32 mpg/600 miles a tank and this is false. GMC customer service told me 22-25 mpg is what they show for the 4 cyl engine. Dealer told me that my 22 mpg was about right. Dealer also told me that the MPG was set by EPA and I had no legal recourse against dealer or GMC. I traded the Terrain in on a Prius and I average 54 mpg! That is about what other customers are getting that I ask about their mpg. So, I am exercising my freedom of choice and will never ever buy a GMC product again...ever! Mgribble1 is incorrect in his assumptions and probably doesn't own a Terrain! Ask Terrain owners at malls and as you see them around town...they will tell you the truth! Many I asked did not average the 22 mpg that I was getting! I don't work in auto industry so I don't have anything to gain by "putting down" a low mpg result on a car claiming 32-38 mpg...truth will set you free!

By garydekko
on 07/19/12 06:56 AM (PDT)

I own a 2011 Terrain 4 cylinder front wheel drive. To this day GMC states 32 MPG. Sent a letter to GMC about poor 25 MPG and the response was to take back to the dealer for a check-up. Dealer says car system is OK and GMC Detroit called back with no answers as to poor mileage. I also own a 2008 Lincoln MKX which gets the same mileage with much more comfort. I have lost confidence in General Motors and will not buy again.