Used 2011 GMC Terrain SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Gmc Terrain - Consumer Reviews

2011 GMC Terrain SUV

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

GMC Terrain - Problem Child
By bytefirst

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a gmc Terrain in 2011 and I thought it was going to be the best car I have ever purchased. Needless to says, I was wrong. This is the worst car I have ever purchased. I have had it for 3 years and it has done nothing but given me problems. I have taken this car to the shop at least 20 times in the last 3 years; and the dealers (Jim Hudson and Love Gmc) kept lying to me about the root cause of my problems. Honestly, they could not fix it. There is a major problem with the car randomly shutting off; and it only happens on the v4 model. Gmc needs to be taken to court; I will never buy another gmc again. I recommend you stay away!

The V6 is the way to go.
By fionafirst

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Terrain I own has a V6, not the I-4. (Not sure why Edmunds doesn't list that as an option) I bought this car used with 60k miles on it because I got a good deal on it and wanted a car with AWD. I recently took my car from Indianapolis to Destine Florida and have realized some good and bad things. The engine is beautiful. Peddle down and the power comes out. Aceleration in 2nd gear while merging is lusty, and passing power is plentiful. That being said, the car still feels heavy and any less power would not be adequate. The steering wheel is comfortable, the audio system is plenty loud and the power seats hold my big American butt pretty well. All in all, I would buy it again.

Favorite Features

The power from the engine is the best thing this car has going for it. The 3.0 V6 has plenty of torque. There is room for 3 people in the back seat even on long road trips. Plenty of cargo space in the back for 5 suitcases. Another great thing in the AWD system. People were slipping and slding all over the road in the winter in Indiana, but the Terrain was planted and did not slip at all. I drive with the Traction Control off in the snow, and it didn't even seem to make a difference in this car.

Suggested Improvements

There are negatives.... a good amount of them. But they are little things. The cruise control is the easiest system I have ever used... but it doesn't work. I set it to 75 and it was all over the place, down to 72 and up to 79. Thats an issue. The Chrome pieces on the dash catch the sun and burn it from into your eyes. I STILL have not figured out how to adjust the Treb and Bass audio controls, or the Fad and Bal. I have hit things using the back up camera, it makes it look much further away than you actually are. Lastly, the put the vents for the driver in too low, so the air does not blow into your face, it hits the steering wheel or my left knee. All in all, it needs some work

One Of The Best Cars Ever!!
By evnsptc

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car with 19K miles, and it runs great! It is steel blue metallic with black perforated heated cloth. The interior is perfect it has everything I need and more! The ride is very comfortable especially on bumpy country roads where I live. The transmission feels a bit sluggish in "ECO" but is overall very good. The 2.4L has great get up and go and gets great gas mileage! I took it on a trip (75 miles highway) and got an average of 30.4 mpg and get 19.6 mpg in the city! The car is barely broken in and will only get better in time! The car is great! I have 2 Grand Prix's and 2 G6's and love all of them but especially this one!

Favorite Features

Pioneer stereo, suspension, onstar, xm radio, sliding rear bench seat, humongous console, aux/usb inputs for my iPod, great exterior looks (I get compliments daily), heated cloth seats (OMG my favorite), electronic child locks, steering feel, very peppy engine, great gas mileage (19 city/30 hwy), AWD, Michelin Tires, 10 standard airbags, traction control, super hot heat and freezing A/C, great level off the ground (not too high but not to low) and a great bang for your buck!

Suggested Improvements

Different Engines: 1.1L Twin Turbo I3 iVLC 176HP and 220TQ 25 city / 38 hwy 2.5L eAssist,Start/Stop I4 iVLC 202HP and 187TQ 27 city / 41 hwy 2.0L Turbo I4 iVLC 259HP and 295TQ 21 city / 29 hwy 3.6L Supercharged V6 VVT, SIDI, AFM 373HP and 380TQ 18 city / 27 hwy A panoramic moonroof Rear side impact thorax air bags (2) Air Suspension with automatic leveler (raises suspension for trail riding) Electronic parking brake Dual climate control Rear hvac vents Rear usb port Rear radio controls for tailgating Heads up display I might be forgetting a few things, but those are just an idea to give you what I think would make this car absolutely perfect!

Can't wait to sell
By garydekko

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Problems 1.poor gas mileage. After letter to GMC dealer response. Drive slower 2.Wipers bounced across windshield. dealer replaced but said good you brought in now as in a few days (90) dealer wouldn't replace. 3.air conditioner freezes up twice. Dealer can't find problem. 4. Transmission shifts vary poorly 5.Wheels wouldn't hold tire pressure. Dealer over-inflated to hold pressure. After 2 years tires how hold pressure. Worst car I ever purchased and can't wait to trade.

Favorite Features

American auto manufactures having major problems meeting mileage by government and making bad cars an d we as customers are the losers.

Suggested Improvements

Under powered engine causing many problems.

Horrible MPG
By mea5

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Dealer claimed 22 city and 32 HWY and I have never gotten better than 23 MPG and that was on a road trip with all highway driving. I only purchased this car because of the MPG. I would never have purchased had I know GMC lied about the MPG. I typicalley average 18-20 MPG with city and highway driving combined.

Favorite Features

nothing, so bitter about the gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

stop lying about MPG!