2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Gmc Terrain - Consumer Reviews

2011 Terrain Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Sort Reviews by

Lemon
By cybergoatguy

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I thought I was getting the same as everyone else when buying the 2011 Terrain, but looks like I've got the same issues and more - oil disappears (my service manager told me they were told by GM that there's a bug in the engine and it burns oil and they don't know why or how to resolve it - she told me to check and add oil every 1000kms). Also, my truck has 66000 kms, and it's been in the garage for two week periods twice in the last three months - I got it back yesterday and they've changed the tranmission (completely) and the timing belt. And other parts too many to mention. Lemon. I'm going to see what I can get from GM for "customer loyalty" and then trade it in.

Favorite Features

Exterior design is rugged. Really getting used to the rear camera. I can't park a regular vehicle anymore!

Suggested Improvements

Tell the truth. Recall if necessary.

GMC Bombed on ths one!!!!
By ava1969

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Needed a larger vehicle so traded my car in Dec 2010 for a new 2011 Terrain. I have always loved GMC but this has made me reconsider. They REALLY BOMBED on this one...its a JOKE! Its been in the shop many times. 1) Gas mileage is straight out a lie. Cannot get the gas mileage they claim by going down hill with a tail wind. 2) Leather seat cover zipper ripped wthin first year, also, they contiinue to pull up and away from the seats. 3) Service airbag light goes on and off and has been "fixed" several times...lol. 4) Rear storage charging port comes out...again, "fixed" several times. 5) AC has complete mind of its own. Will be workng great then blows hot air. 6) stalls and wont start

Favorite Features

look of the car. Spacious rear seat

Suggested Improvements

everything!!!! Stop making this model...it doesnt work and either stop lying about the gas mileage or change the actuals. If GMC is going to keep producing this model then redeem themselves and get the kinks worked out and recall the previous models.

A Lot of Issues and Problems
By cockermom

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2011 GMC Terrain SLE2 Automatic with a 4 cylinder engine. The engine is so small that this poor vehicle has terrible pick-up. It's dangerous to try and pass on the highway or pick up speed when merging because the pick up is so bad. Another major issue we have is that the engine seems to be hesitating or fluttering or it is stalling at low throttle which is extremely dangerous when driving period let alone driving up a hill. This problem warrants a recall. The doors are so lightweight that they will slam on you when opening/closing which is dangerous to passengers. This needs to be sorted by GMC as it's dangerous. Passenger airbag light doesn't work. Poor gas mileage.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable. The front seats can be heated which is great in the winter. Remote start is another cool feature that is convenient for winter start ups. The vehicle is supposed to handle well in snow. It comes with free Sirius radio as a trial. The arm rest has lots of storage inside.

Suggested Improvements

Doors need to be heavier as they are downright dangerous right now. They are too light and with slam closed with just the slightest wind or if you're parked on a hill. GMC needs to sort the engine stalling issue as this again is dangerous while driving. Make sure all functions work such as the passenger airbag light. Other lights don't seem to come on when there is a problem which is a problem in it of itself. Trunk could use more space as it's hindered by the design.

Using Oil
By graygrandma

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I agree with all the disappointing remarks regarding gas mileage. I don't care if it's the EPA or GMC - the public deserves the truth! My big worry now is that it's using oil. My car was showing 50+% life left before my oil change. The engine was making a loud noise and I took it to the dealer to find I had no oil showing on the dip stick. The check engine light NEVER came on! Since then my husband has consistantly checked the oil level and we have to keep adding oil in between oil changes. I have never had to do that with my vehicles. Anyone else using oil?

Favorite Features

I love the body style and the backseat leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Be honest about gas mileage. Put the buttons for the electric windows so that both driver & passenger can control the front door windows.

four times unlucky
By joemxz

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i bought the terrain with awd v6 with plans of towing my rv and it has been good however the last month it was been burning oil? and its been in the shop 3 times to be fixed and each time it is something else fron solenoids to oil seals and now its doing it again with less than 30000 miles on it. each time its been in shop 4 days and now i am taking it back its frustrating to say but warranty is helping but once its up scary hope its four time lucky

Favorite Features

V6 power and awd is awesome itsnows alot in nova scotia and i have 18 inch tires on it. seats are comfortable and love the seats can be moved back

Suggested Improvements

miles per gallon is not as advertised but AWD and V6 doesnt help. i am averaging 26-29 Canandian and we have bigger gallons than u yanks so its anot a true refelction

I got suckered into buying this based on Gas Mileage
By vlazo

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Im very disappointed in my purchase of the 2011 GMC Terrian. When i bought this i was told like most about the amazing gas milegae that ranged from 23-32 mpg so i made the decision that for my first new car i would go with the 2.4L 4 cylinder FWD model to maximaze fuel econonmy. I have never seen more then 23.6 miles per gallon and that was after putting in premium gasoline(which is not called for i was just doing anything i could to get better gas mileage) and highway driving...whats wrong with this picture??? I average 21.9 mgh normally & my car has 21,000 miles so it doesnt need to b broke in like i was told by my dealer.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride but vehicles power sucks! Interior with all the features is nice to have but so what i cant afford to drive it at this point. I took a bath on this. I lost my $8000 for trade and ive paid $4500 to drive this vehicle for 10 months now i want to get ride of it and i cant get more then what i owe $24000... i was suckered by GMC and my Dealer into believeing that this car would get what its advertised to get!! Maybe the commerical should read...In a perfect word this suv could get 32mpg highway but in the real world its no where close so keep dreaming and has no power to back it up.

Suggested Improvements

maybe advertise the real fuel economy. I did a 3 and 1/2hr trip to Maine from Massusetts and at best when i calucted my gas myself got 21.7 on way there and 22.4 on way back and i was going 70mph cruse control. VERY UNHAPPY with being mislead, never wouldve bought a GMC TERRRAIN if i knew it was gonna be this poor.

Back to Toyota!!!!
By dsgarvey

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a 2011 Terrain SLE-1, then had leather, DVD and sunroof added, just came out cheaper that way. Sunroof messed up within about six months, air condition stopped working around the same time in the middle of summer. The 4 cylinder is so under powered it's pathetic and makes the worst sounds when cranking up. Also here lately it's been dying after being started. Now the gas mileage, well it sucks! GMC must measure MPG alot different than I do, but I have never got close to 32 on the highway. The average with about 70% highway and 30% city stays at 19mpg. We are looking to getting back into a Toyota ASAP while this thing is still running.

Favorite Features

Looks cool

Suggested Improvements

Send the thing back to the factory and start over!

7 times in the shop first year
By kathy75

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I thought I was exchanging a 9 year Murano that was needing it's 5 transmission (which was still under warranty and was no longer reliable as something I could depend on, wrong! This 2011 terrain has been in the shop 7 times for a total of the same 3 problems. 4 times for cutting off and cutting out on me, the lift gate made loud noises when it got hot and finally after 5 times in the shop in which they told me unless it makes the notice when it is in here you will just have wait until breaks, well it did and came down on my head. The air stopped working last summer twice while it was in the high 90's you could turn it back on after about 20 minutes and it would work again.

Favorite Features

At this point under NC law it is considered a lemon so I am hiring a lawyer. At this point I can no longer remember any favorite features I hate this car.

Suggested Improvements

Put the lock button back on the door the console is not a good place for it. My Murrano was not any longer than the Terrain but it had a lot more interior room, there is too much front end and not enough interior room. Put bigger tires on it so the ride is better. Don't post the mileage as 24 city and 32 highway when the best it gets is 26 hwy. and 19-21 in city. Fix the air controls 73 does not mean 60 degrees. It was 55 degree outside and I had the air set on 73 and it was blowing cold air as hard as it could and that was most likely what was making the air last summer stop working it was freezing up.

2011 GMC Terrain Poor Gas Mileage
By longbow1

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased our 2011 GMC Terrain Feb 2011 and still waiting for 32 mpg. If I knew the mileage was going to suck I'd purchase the V6 to give me better pick up, passing acceleration, and cruise control performance going up freeway hills. We love our Terrain except for the engine and mpg. The best mileage experienced on our trips to Utah and Arizona from California is 23.2. Currently in the city 21.2. Where's the miles per gallon as advertised. Just saw a 2013 Terrain commercial on TV last night (3/25/12) boasting 32 mpg. Both my wife and I laughed!

Favorite Features

I like the comfort of the seats, the rear passenger space and storage. Also, like the navigation capabilities, interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Able to change or find location on the Navigation while driving. The passenger can use it while the driver drives. I hate having to stop to make changes. Have more metrics displayed on the screen or instrument panel than just mpg, avg speed, instantaneous fuel, etc. Miles per gallon to live to its advertise rate.

Bad gas mileage
By elvis711

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just like everyone else- 22-25 MPG. Also, it does a hard shift all the time, and often when pressing on the gas, it hesitates, as though it had to think if it was the brake or the gas , it makes you very angry when driving. Terrible experience. One good thing is the storage. Too bad we cannot afford to road trip with the crap mileage.

Favorite Features

the lease expires in 24 months

Suggested Improvements

try a realistic advertisement of the MPG. This dog is not even close to 32