2011 GMC Terrain SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
Poor gas mileage / back up camera inside vehicle
By dusebout1 on 01/26/13 16:44 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Gas mileage is not good at all, never had the 32mpg as I was told. Going back and forth to work I average in the summer 29 mpg and in the cold it is even lower, highway driving is even less. Other vehicles I have owned gave me a higher gas mileage than stated on the highway sticker miles going back and forth to work, terribly disappointed with the Terrain. Talked to the dealer and he confirmed there were complaints it wasn't getting the predicted gas mileage. Back up mirror is not reliable, only shows directly behind you without even a little bit of a side view

Back to Toyota!!!!
By dsgarvey on 05/18/12 22:48 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a 2011 Terrain SLE-1, then had leather, DVD and sunroof added, just came out cheaper that way. Sunroof messed up within about six months, air condition stopped working around the same time in the middle of summer. The 4 cylinder is so under powered it's pathetic and makes the worst sounds when cranking up. Also here lately it's been dying after being started. Now the gas mileage, well it sucks! GMC must measure MPG alot different than I do, but I have never got close to 32 on the highway. The average with about 70% highway and 30% city stays at 19mpg. We are looking to getting back into a Toyota ASAP while this thing is still running.

Bad gas mileage
By elvis711 on 03/05/12 12:04 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just like everyone else- 22-25 MPG. Also, it does a hard shift all the time, and often when pressing on the gas, it hesitates, as though it had to think if it was the brake or the gas , it makes you very angry when driving. Terrible experience. One good thing is the storage. Too bad we cannot afford to road trip with the crap mileage.

False MPG: Just lost fifteen hundred bucks!
By retiredpilot1 on 01/09/12 21:16 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my 2011 Terrain for 15 months, 23,000 miles. This car cost me an extra $1500 last year in gas because the actual mileage (17/22) is NOT EVEN CLOSE to claimed. I am a retired airline pilot and mechanical engineer, I know how to glide thru air. It really peeves me that we allow such false and misleading advertising, whatever happened to good old honesty? See you at the class action claim hearing!

Love My Terrain
By pandoras on 10/21/11 12:37 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had driven a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport until December 2010 when I bought the 2011 Terrain. I thought I would never find an auto that I loved as much as the Explorer Sport, but I was wrong. I love my Terrain!!! No, the gas mileage is not as advertisied, but that is the only issue I have seen, found or had.

MPG farce big time
By teamtrout on 10/02/11 21:46 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The vehicle rides great, low road noise, smooth handling. But where is the great gas mileage. Just got mine and drove from Norman, Ok. to Springfield, Mo and got 20.7 mpg!!!!! Even though it;s not broken in yet it should get more than that. Spent the extra bucks to get the gas mileage but now...I'm still poor.

Gas Mileage Tanks
By kristarc on 09/27/11 05:49 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My husband and I researched many vehicles before deciding the Terrain was the best SUV for our needs without sucking our wallet dry. I have owned the Terrain for a month now. My daily driving is mostly highway and I am only getting about 23 miles a gallon. I didn't expect to get 32 but I did expect more than this. The vehicle also shifts hard and jerky. I think GMC needs to review their claims of great gas mileage before many others are misled. They also owe myself and thousands of other people gas cards!!

Where is the gas mileage?
By jess736 on 09/19/11 16:53 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased a 4 cyl Terrain earlier this year. We like the vehicle overall but are very disappointed with the 21.6 MPG average over the first 9000 miles of driving. Most of the driving is on the freeway. Even on a long trip the best ever on a tank of gas was 23.5mpg. The main reason for us selecting the Terrain over other SUVs was the advertised mileage. We really feel we were scammed. I know that the EPA mileage to be questionable but to exaggerate the numbers by over 33% is almost criminal. Of course the salesman sold us on the 32 MPG but after talking to the service techs they tell me that there is no way that this vehicle can get more that 23 to 24 MPG. Of course now that we ha

Had to share
By cj21 on 07/26/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am the person who always looks at the reviews of cars but never write one. I must say I am compelled to write one on the Terrain. I've had my SUV since Feb. 2011 and I must say I don’t have any major complaints. I use to drive a KIA and that was a lemon. Before that I drove GMC vehicles. I am so glad to drive a GMC again. It was a defiantly change for me going from a V6 to a 4cyl. As far as the gas mileage goes, I am concern about how long a tank of gas for me will last. It last about a week and half to 2 weeks. That’s a lot longer than with the KIA V6. Overall I am glad I got the Terrain. It’s good on bumps & long road trips. If you want to buy this SUV I think you will be happy.

love our terrain
By tombeaversr on 06/29/11 20:02 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our terrain in Feb. 2011 and now have over 6700 miles on it. avg. mpg is 24.8 to 29.5 local and 29 to 33.2 hwy. The seats are good butnot as comfortable as the 1999 buick lesable that we had but the terrain does handle much better. The 4 cyl is not a dog if you wind it up but you can definitly tell that the old girl weighs a lot. In stop and go traffic it is real easy to get mpg down to 22. With cruise set at 65-70 on reasonably flat ground we get 29.8-33.2. have not got use to unlock button being in middle of dash. No problems yet. Buick lasted 233,000 miles. Hope this GMC does too.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 GMC Terrain Suv in WA is:

$147 per month*