Used 2011 GMC Terrain SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Gmc Terrain - Consumer Reviews

2011 GMC Terrain SUV

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

very disapointed
By lapitino

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am very unhappy with my 2011 model. It is less than one year old and only has 15,000 miles on it. In the last two weeks it has been in for repair 3 different times. It has gone in for multiple issues, 2 out of 3 are yet to be fixed. I have been in a rental car for a total of 12 days now. My fear is that this is a sign of things to come. I plan to ask for a replacement vehicle or I will absolutely be contacting the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection. Did I mention the gas mileage it NOT what was advertised??

The V6 is the way to go.
By fionafirst

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Terrain I own has a V6, not the I-4. (Not sure why Edmunds doesn't list that as an option) I bought this car used with 60k miles on it because I got a good deal on it and wanted a car with AWD. I recently took my car from Indianapolis to Destine Florida and have realized some good and bad things. The engine is beautiful. Peddle down and the power comes out. Aceleration in 2nd gear while merging is lusty, and passing power is plentiful. That being said, the car still feels heavy and any less power would not be adequate. The steering wheel is comfortable, the audio system is plenty loud and the power seats hold my big American butt pretty well. All in all, I would buy it again.

Favorite Features

The power from the engine is the best thing this car has going for it. The 3.0 V6 has plenty of torque. There is room for 3 people in the back seat even on long road trips. Plenty of cargo space in the back for 5 suitcases. Another great thing in the AWD system. People were slipping and slding all over the road in the winter in Indiana, but the Terrain was planted and did not slip at all. I drive with the Traction Control off in the snow, and it didn't even seem to make a difference in this car.

Suggested Improvements

There are negatives.... a good amount of them. But they are little things. The cruise control is the easiest system I have ever used... but it doesn't work. I set it to 75 and it was all over the place, down to 72 and up to 79. Thats an issue. The Chrome pieces on the dash catch the sun and burn it from into your eyes. I STILL have not figured out how to adjust the Treb and Bass audio controls, or the Fad and Bal. I have hit things using the back up camera, it makes it look much further away than you actually are. Lastly, the put the vents for the driver in too low, so the air does not blow into your face, it hits the steering wheel or my left knee. All in all, it needs some work

Save a life and stay away from GMC Terrains
By kevin0304

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Must be one of the most dangerous cars on the road. It WILL stall and leave you stranded on highway, intersection, or a parking lot. And you won't be able to get it restarted. It mysteriously loses oil and will require expensive repairs to get it started again with no guarantee the stalling will stop. You get no warning. GMC won't acknowledge the problem even though service departments have the replace parts packaged and ready as though they know the engine should be recalled. Will be donating the car to the local fire department to do car burning training rather than reselling. I couldn't sleep knowing I sold the car to someone who could die in it.

GM Terrain-worst car in history
By hategmterrain

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We are desperate not to die...Our 2011 GM Terrain is stalling again. After being stranded in a snow storm last winter when the time belt went on a relatively new car with only 50K miles on it, the car has been stalling and shutting down on us while driving, engine light going on. It's a LIFE RISK and no one is minding the shop. We have taken the car numerous times to Varney GMC in Bangor and there is no real help. We are fully aware of the conspiracy after the collapse and cutting corners but this is outrageous. We are told "nothing is wrong with the car"-REALLY? The engine light is always on, and yet no one takes it seriously!!! Please help us not to die!!! No one there bothered to us about

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Fool Me Once, Shame On You. Fool Me Twice...
By oh_well

2011 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a pre-owed certified 2011 Terrain SLT-1 (AWD 4cyl) for teeanage son. He's big and tall and needs the room. I own a Lexus SUV 6 cyl. I decided to go American for him, because I didn't want to pay over 20K for a newer pre-owned foreign SUV that has less interior space. We shortlisted the Terrain, because of the fuel rating 20 city/ 29 Hwy, interior space, and youthful appearance inside and out. We got everything but not the gas mileage. We are getting 20 mpg city and hwy which is much less than my Lexus and Escalade! I attribute this to poor design e.g. 4 cyl trying to propel a boxy crossover with lots of drag. How long has GMC been making automobiles again?

Suggested Improvements

Either change design to have less drag which impacts gas mileage or give the real gas ratings on the marketing materials e.g. 20 city/ 20 hwy.