Used 2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Absolute garbage
By Bill

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I couldn't imagine owning this car out of warranty. It has spent so much time at the dealer that although I owned a Terrain, I spent much of my time behind the wheel of various Buick rental cars from the dealer. The transmission was replaced 3 times, not to mention a host of other issues. How does GM have repeat customers???? Our first and last GM product ever.

Very Noisy Engine - Rattling Sound on Start Up
By Frank Gibbs

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Stay away from the 4 cylinder. I have a 2011 Terrain with the 4 cylinder engine and i know that it is just a matter of time before the engine goes. It rattles on crank up, sounds like metal scraping against metal. Transmission jumps on occasion and the gas mileage is very much exaggerated by GM. It does not get neat the mileage that they state in their bulletin on the Terrain. I would not recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Do not buy...
By KPG

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Horrible!!! I have a 2011 GMC Terrain, it's been in the shop NUMEROUS times. I was just told the motor needs to be re-built. 3 years old and the motor needs to be re-built. It runs terrible, constantly knocks and is never fixed. It's been in the shop a total of 5 weeks since I've owned it. If you want a good, reliable vehicle, do NOT purchase a terrain. The service department tells me they keep most parts in stock because of so many problems. Not a good vehicle AT ALL.

Don't Bother
By JWConaty

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Had nothing but problems with the navigation system & radio starting in year 2. GMC refused to fix it saying I was out of warranty. After a year of "working around the problem," GMC finally recalled the item. Fast-forward 1 year later and my car just passed 100k miles. The timing chain in the engine broke and damaged the engine. GMC acknowledged this is a problem with my model and even adjusted the warranty from 100k miles to 120k miles for this EXACT problem. However the adjustment only covers certain VIN's. GMC has now told me that it will cost $5k+ to replace the damaged engine in a car that is not even 4 years old yet. Not to mention I was just notified of 2 other recalls on my Terrain. That makes 3 recalls & 1 major non-recall repair in less than 4 years. I bought GMC because I wanted to buy American and GMC's/Chevy's are supposed to be quality automobiles. I might have considered owning another GMC/Chevy/Buick vehicle in the future if GMC would have just owned up to the problem and covered the repair. Needless to say I will never buy another GMC/Chevy/Buick automobile.

LOVE my Terrain!
By Cydney Odom

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2011 SLE Terrain with 18000 miles on it. I have had noting negative to say about it thus far. It rides smooth. Getting great gas mileage. Low road noise on the high way. I think the 4 cylinder engine is powerful for what it is. I have a 5'11" girlfriend and she fits very comfortably in this vehicle. Overall, I am thrilled. Would absolutely purchase one of these again!

OnStar, 4 cylinder engine, back up camera.