2011 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
GM Terrain-worst car in history
By hategmterrain on 09/03/14 08:39 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We are desperate not to die...Our 2011 GM Terrain is stalling again. After being stranded in a snow storm last winter when the time belt went on a relatively new car with only 50K miles on it, the car has been stalling and shutting down on us while driving, engine light going on. It's a LIFE RISK and no one is minding the shop. We have taken the car numerous times to Varney GMC in Bangor and there is no real help. We are fully aware of the conspiracy after the collapse and cutting corners but this is outrageous. We are told "nothing is wrong with the car"-REALLY? The engine light is always on, and yet no one takes it seriously!!! Please help us not to die!!! No one there bothered to us about

Fool Me Once, Shame On You. Fool Me Twice...
By oh_well on 08/25/14 05:59 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a pre-owed certified 2011 Terrain SLT-1 (AWD 4cyl) for teeanage son. He's big and tall and needs the room. I own a Lexus SUV 6 cyl. I decided to go American for him, because I didn't want to pay over 20K for a newer pre-owned foreign SUV that has less interior space. We shortlisted the Terrain, because of the fuel rating 20 city/ 29 Hwy, interior space, and youthful appearance inside and out. We got everything but not the gas mileage. We are getting 20 mpg city and hwy which is much less than my Lexus and Escalade! I attribute this to poor design e.g. 4 cyl trying to propel a boxy crossover with lots of drag. How long has GMC been making automobiles again?

GMC Terrain - Problem Child
By bytefirst on 04/27/14 06:58 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a gmc Terrain in 2011 and I thought it was going to be the best car I have ever purchased. Needless to says, I was wrong. This is the worst car I have ever purchased. I have had it for 3 years and it has done nothing but given me problems. I have taken this car to the shop at least 20 times in the last 3 years; and the dealers (Jim Hudson and Love Gmc) kept lying to me about the root cause of my problems. Honestly, they could not fix it. There is a major problem with the car randomly shutting off; and it only happens on the v4 model. Gmc needs to be taken to court; I will never buy another gmc again. I recommend you stay away!

The V6 is the way to go.
By fionafirst on 03/18/14 22:08 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Terrain I own has a V6, not the I-4. (Not sure why Edmunds doesn't list that as an option) I bought this car used with 60k miles on it because I got a good deal on it and wanted a car with AWD. I recently took my car from Indianapolis to Destine Florida and have realized some good and bad things. The engine is beautiful. Peddle down and the power comes out. Aceleration in 2nd gear while merging is lusty, and passing power is plentiful. That being said, the car still feels heavy and any less power would not be adequate. The steering wheel is comfortable, the audio system is plenty loud and the power seats hold my big American butt pretty well. All in all, I would buy it again.

One Of The Best Cars Ever!!
By evnsptc on 09/14/13 22:18 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car with 19K miles, and it runs great! It is steel blue metallic with black perforated heated cloth. The interior is perfect it has everything I need and more! The ride is very comfortable especially on bumpy country roads where I live. The transmission feels a bit sluggish in "ECO" but is overall very good. The 2.4L has great get up and go and gets great gas mileage! I took it on a trip (75 miles highway) and got an average of 30.4 mpg and get 19.6 mpg in the city! The car is barely broken in and will only get better in time! The car is great! I have 2 Grand Prix's and 2 G6's and love all of them but especially this one!

Can't wait to sell
By garydekko on 07/27/13 11:35 AM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Problems 1.poor gas mileage. After letter to GMC dealer response. Drive slower 2.Wipers bounced across windshield. dealer replaced but said good you brought in now as in a few days (90) dealer wouldn't replace. 3.air conditioner freezes up twice. Dealer can't find problem. 4. Transmission shifts vary poorly 5.Wheels wouldn't hold tire pressure. Dealer over-inflated to hold pressure. After 2 years tires how hold pressure. Worst car I ever purchased and can't wait to trade.

Horrible MPG
By mea5 on 05/08/13 16:09 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Dealer claimed 22 city and 32 HWY and I have never gotten better than 23 MPG and that was on a road trip with all highway driving. I only purchased this car because of the MPG. I would never have purchased had I know GMC lied about the MPG. I typicalley average 18-20 MPG with city and highway driving combined.

Poor gas mileage / back up camera inside vehicle
By dusebout1 on 01/26/13 16:44 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Gas mileage is not good at all, never had the 32mpg as I was told. Going back and forth to work I average in the summer 29 mpg and in the cold it is even lower, highway driving is even less. Other vehicles I have owned gave me a higher gas mileage than stated on the highway sticker miles going back and forth to work, terribly disappointed with the Terrain. Talked to the dealer and he confirmed there were complaints it wasn't getting the predicted gas mileage. Back up mirror is not reliable, only shows directly behind you without even a little bit of a side view

Lemon
By cybergoatguy on 11/29/12 13:53 PM (PST)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I thought I was getting the same as everyone else when buying the 2011 Terrain, but looks like I've got the same issues and more - oil disappears (my service manager told me they were told by GM that there's a bug in the engine and it burns oil and they don't know why or how to resolve it - she told me to check and add oil every 1000kms). Also, my truck has 66000 kms, and it's been in the garage for two week periods twice in the last three months - I got it back yesterday and they've changed the tranmission (completely) and the timing belt. And other parts too many to mention. Lemon. I'm going to see what I can get from GM for "customer loyalty" and then trade it in.

GMC Bombed on ths one!!!!
By ava1969 on 10/15/12 15:09 PM (PDT)

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Needed a larger vehicle so traded my car in Dec 2010 for a new 2011 Terrain. I have always loved GMC but this has made me reconsider. They REALLY BOMBED on this one...its a JOKE! Its been in the shop many times. 1) Gas mileage is straight out a lie. Cannot get the gas mileage they claim by going down hill with a tail wind. 2) Leather seat cover zipper ripped wthin first year, also, they contiinue to pull up and away from the seats. 3) Service airbag light goes on and off and has been "fixed" several times...lol. 4) Rear storage charging port comes out...again, "fixed" several times. 5) AC has complete mind of its own. Will be workng great then blows hot air. 6) stalls and wont start

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 GMC Terrain in VA is:

$114 per month*