Used 2011 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

I could have bought the repair shop!
By AJ Dugger

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Terrain for 7 months. In those 7 months I have had 2 major repairs which have caused my vehicle to be in the repair shop 5 times. Three of the five times I have had to have a rental vehicle (luckily I only had to pay for 1 rental). This last one included a tow of the vehicle to the repair shop. These two major repairs are KNOWN defects by GM, per consumer reports. The oil consumption issue with the engine was a known and recognized default by the manufacturer. GM paid for the repairs and my rental, but I was without my vehicle for almost a week. Transmission failure is the second major repair and is covered under my warranty (NOT BY GM). Repairs have taken longer than a week and the warranty only covers a rental for 7 days. Again, I am paying for a rental for repairs to a known defect. I may not be out thousands of dollars for each repair at the point of service, thanks to the purchase of my warranty up front; but, the frustration, time spent handling the repairs, and concern for safety during my break downs on the road is ridiculous. I really like my car but I think it has been in the shop almost half the time I have owned it!

Awesome Ride
By Chris Noel

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

It's not a power train. But it's got the power to pull a train. I would take this SUV any where I could take my Z71 4×4.

2.4 ecotec is a scam
By Paul

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car and other gm s have the 2.4 ecotec engine in it which will leave you disappointed and broke. The Ecotec consumes oil which will lead to a faulty motor. Please google the 2.4 ecotec oil consumption before you consider purchasing this vehicle.

Thought I had a good car.
By Tracy

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this used 3 months ago. Had a problem with a timing belt and something else a month ago and it was repaired under warranty. My warranty went out last week. Yesterday, my check engine light came on so I had Onstar run a diagnostic check and they said it had something to do with the car not starting and I need to get it fixed within 7 days. This morning, I had to turn the heat up to 78 to feel any kind of warm air. Last week 75 was too hot. Also, mpg is not what they claim and that was one of the main reasons I purchased this vehicle. Very disappointed!

Poor performance and value
By Diane S

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In 2 years of ownership, I had a total of 7 major warrantied parts replaced. This included emissions, both catalytic converters and timing belt before the truck even had 50K miles on it. Service at Winegardener GMC of Brandywine was horrible. Truck was held for a week at a time, with no loaner or rental offered. Truck eventually became too costly to own as I lost many hours off work waiting for repairs and finding rental vehicles while waiting for truck to be fixed. Gas mileage was not the 32 MPG promised, even at 55 MPH I still only got about 23 MPG HWY.