Used 2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Gmc Terrain - Consumer Reviews

2010 GMC Terrain

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Good SUV--but---
By dcunitednut

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2010 Terrain after evaluating a number of SUV's. I almost bought the Chevy Equinox but fell in love with the Terrain during the test drive. For the last 4 years the vehicle has been virtually trouble free and very dependable. However--right at 56K miles there was a catastrophic failure of the transmission which required a total rebuild. The Wave Plate, along with a number of other components, basically flew apart. On the positive front the dealership took very good care of me and gave me an excellent loaner vehicle and kept me informed. I had no out of pocket expense because it was covered by the drive train warranty.

Favorite Features

I love the back up camera located in the rear view mirror. I think it is more natural to look up there as you back up instead of down on a larger monitor in the dash.

Suggested Improvements

Very disappointed with the failure on the transmission after just over 50K miles. Never had that happen on a vehicle in the past. Apparently 3 other Terrains had similar transmission issues as well. Sounds like this could be a defect with the vehicle.

87,000 miles and switching
By drstubb1

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our 2010 Terrain new. My wife drives daily to work and in less than 3 years we already have 87,000 miles. We bought the car because we were informed that the mpg would be 31 or so. We've never gotten better than 27 and usually we're at 24-26 mpg with the 4 cylinder on eco. We've had problems with the lift gate, timing chain knocking, and at 80,000 miles we changed the tranny oil. It was black! Since then we've continued to feel it slip. Driving in the back seat is a horrific experience for people with good backs! It's too straight up and down. The AC has broken down twice in 2 years!

Favorite Features

the front seats are nice and comfortable. The hatch button, when it works, is handy as compared to those we know without this feature. The dash is attractive and accessible. The stereo is nice. There is plentiful room. The back seats have enough leg room(too bad the seats are too straight). There is plenty of stowage space.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out how to make the car in America with better workers and improved quality and possibly we'll be back. Also, if you are going to advertise the car gets 31 mpg, then please get something close to that. Have a slight lean backwards in the back seat as well as small headrests. Long drives when someone sleeps in the back seat will lead to expensive chiropractic bills after multiple visits (or worse yet- low dose narcotic pill usage).

Malfunctions - timing change, noise, oil pouring out
By dlatour

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

At 35,000 miles the timing change had to be changed. At 51,000 miles I brought it in for engine noise that was extremely loud and an oil film on the undercarriage. Told that the noise and oil was normal. Today at 54,000 miles it appears all of the oil drained out of the motor. Beside the huge puddle on the driveway there is oil from the front of the car to the rear of the car.

Worse vehicle I have ever had!
By texas322

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have never had so many problems with a new vehicle as we have had with this one. They had to replace timing chain, a rattling noise is still very loud but they tell us there is nothing wrong, drive the car to work and back and no engine light turned on or anything just a loud knocking noes in the motor every time we pressed gas.. Little did we know that the car had no engine oil... But it still showed it had 40% oil life. Don't know where the oil is going. This is the second time it's happened to us. We have to check oil at least every 2 weeks.. This is a 2010 car. Mileage is not what it says it is..

Favorite Features

Only thing I like is the interior and the exterior of car..

New engine in just under 3 years
By rhoda13

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wow, 1 day to the 3 year anniversary and engine light goes on. Code P0172. Fuel pump low pressure, fuel line crack and gas leaking into engine and oil... Oil 3 quarts low... GM warranty is supplying a New Engine! Just wow, I get a new engine, but what other trouble will this cause? Transimission problem? I hope not.. I hope it gets fixed 100%. Wish us luck.

Favorite Features

style of vehicle is nice, but now the 2010 Terrain is getting a brand new engine in 2013 !