Used 2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Not worth buying
By bxgirl

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my Terrain soon as it hit dealerships during its release. I've never visited a dealership so many times and have had so many problems with a vehicle. Since having this vehicle I've had problems with the vehicle shutting off in the middle of intersections due to the senor oxygen (engine control) needing to be replaced to due cold starting the vehicle, the rear control arm bushings, the stabilizer shaft, the exhaust manifold all of which needed to be replaced. Now, GM was trying to hit me over the head and charge me for the timing chain which they try putting on me for not changing the oil. Luckily I saved all my receipts and they had to eat the $847 bill.

Big lemon
By somerside

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this terrain just over a year ago and have had nothing but problems. In its 4 years of being on the road it's had the motor rebuild due to oil consumption issue. It's had the timing chain replaced twice. The AWD system has malfunctioned. The sunroof is broken. The navigation unit has been changed twice. Numerous sensors have been replaced. The emissions system has been a nightmare. I've spent a lot out of pocket cause most of it has not been under warranty. I'm very disappointed in the quality that GM has put into the first gen terrain. Overall the vehicle so unreliable that I can't trust it for my wife to drive back and forth to work. I do not recommend this vehicle at all.

Good SUV--but---
By dcunitednut

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2010 Terrain after evaluating a number of SUV's. I almost bought the Chevy Equinox but fell in love with the Terrain during the test drive. For the last 4 years the vehicle has been virtually trouble free and very dependable. However--right at 56K miles there was a catastrophic failure of the transmission which required a total rebuild. The Wave Plate, along with a number of other components, basically flew apart. On the positive front the dealership took very good care of me and gave me an excellent loaner vehicle and kept me informed. I had no out of pocket expense because it was covered by the drive train warranty.

I love the back up camera located in the rear view mirror. I think it is more natural to look up there as you back up instead of down on a larger monitor in the dash.

Very disappointed with the failure on the transmission after just over 50K miles. Never had that happen on a vehicle in the past. Apparently 3 other Terrains had similar transmission issues as well. Sounds like this could be a defect with the vehicle.

87,000 miles and switching
By drstubb1

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our 2010 Terrain new. My wife drives daily to work and in less than 3 years we already have 87,000 miles. We bought the car because we were informed that the mpg would be 31 or so. We've never gotten better than 27 and usually we're at 24-26 mpg with the 4 cylinder on eco. We've had problems with the lift gate, timing chain knocking, and at 80,000 miles we changed the tranny oil. It was black! Since then we've continued to feel it slip. Driving in the back seat is a horrific experience for people with good backs! It's too straight up and down. The AC has broken down twice in 2 years!

the front seats are nice and comfortable. The hatch button, when it works, is handy as compared to those we know without this feature. The dash is attractive and accessible. The stereo is nice. There is plentiful room. The back seats have enough leg room(too bad the seats are too straight). There is plenty of stowage space.

Figure out how to make the car in America with better workers and improved quality and possibly we'll be back. Also, if you are going to advertise the car gets 31 mpg, then please get something close to that. Have a slight lean backwards in the back seat as well as small headrests. Long drives when someone sleeps in the back seat will lead to expensive chiropractic bills after multiple visits (or worse yet- low dose narcotic pill usage).

Malfunctions - timing change, noise, oil pouring out
By dlatour

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

At 35,000 miles the timing change had to be changed. At 51,000 miles I brought it in for engine noise that was extremely loud and an oil film on the undercarriage. Told that the noise and oil was normal. Today at 54,000 miles it appears all of the oil drained out of the motor. Beside the huge puddle on the driveway there is oil from the front of the car to the rear of the car.