2010 GMC Terrain SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
Malfunctions - timing change, noise, oil pouring out
By dlatour on 06/09/13 13:32 PM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

At 35,000 miles the timing change had to be changed. At 51,000 miles I brought it in for engine noise that was extremely loud and an oil film on the undercarriage. Told that the noise and oil was normal. Today at 54,000 miles it appears all of the oil drained out of the motor. Beside the huge puddle on the driveway there is oil from the front of the car to the rear of the car.

Bad First Car Experience
By elizabeth87 on 01/14/13 10:02 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Terrain as a brand new model when it first came in at our local dealership in October, 2010. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. I have had to have my transmission re-calibrated 3 or more times now, I have about 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of oil drain out when an oil change is done every 3,000 miles.. I have had a camshaft actuator replaced, many different solenoids replaced, a cracked timing chain tensioner bracket replaced, my exhaust manifold gasket was leaking, a wheel bearing go out at about 20,000-30,000 miles, & have had a carbon clean out done 3 times in the last 6 months because it's causing my car to shut off. I am currently looking to trade this in.

Would not buy again.
By Ron on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We liked the idea of 32 MPG highway but it has fallen far short of that. We are only getting about 25-26 MPG on the highway. We mostly drive about 68 mph with cruise control. GMC should be charged with false advertising. We took it into the dealer, Dick Norris of Clearwater, Florida and they supposedly checked it out on the "Computer" and found nothing wrong. We have already told everybody that asks about the Terrain and we mentioned the gas mileage problem to all of them. We are now stuck with this "Lemon" for three years and will never buy another GMC product. Sorry, but just telling the truth.

A Great Buy
By John up North on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Terrain 4Cyl now for two months. I am very happy with it. Fun to drive, feels rock solid on the road and delivers good gas mileage. I keep track of every tankful and so far my best mileage is 37 mpg on a highway run and the worst is exactly 30mpg which was a combination of city and highway. However, the engine sounds like a can of marbles when accelerating gently. Sounds like pre-ignition. Dealer says "they all do it." Well, no, they don't. GM is aware of the problem with some of the 4 cyl engines in the Terrain and the Equinox and is planning an ECM upgrade. I have to run the car on Super gas to alleviate the darn noise when accelerating. Other than that, no complaints.

Absolutely Love It
By Love It on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I traded the GMC Envoy for the Terrain and the difference in the gas mileage is truly welcomed. The performance is fantastic. The Terrain appears to hug the road when going around curves. I also like how the rear seat can be extended to the backs of the front seats for easy access to items stored in the back seat. Personally, I cannot say enough good things about the Terrain.

14,000 Miles in 6 Months
By Terrain Driver on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In comparing most of the reviews over the past few months, my only common negative experiences are: with only rear windows down, noise cancellation system goes berserk augmenting normal "helicopter" reverberation and hammers your ears unmercifully; radio volume stuck a couple of times in hot weather, but returned to normal after restarting car; several interior chrome appointments reflect sunlight painfully; front headrests insufficiently adjustable (I'm 6' 6"). On the plus side, avg. overall mileage is 26, but I can get 32 as claimed in ECO on highway without cruise control; very roomy interior with comfortable, quiet ride - even for 4 adult passengers; good fit & finish.

Back w/GM after 5 yrs in Toyota wilderness
By ColtsChiefsTitans on 08/03/10 16:26 PM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

OK, we've got a Highlander which is OK but boring & a Prius which we hated (gets 45 MPG but does nothing else well). HAD to trade it before another winter parking it in garage for fear of sliding off roads! So shopped domestic & import sedans, went into GMC-Buick dealer on a whim to check out a gorgeous but pricy LaCrosse. Wandered across the showroom & sat in the GMC Terrain, the wife fell in love! Great/flexible seating position, VERY comfortable seats, nicely equipped base model, attractive interior, plus STUDLY exterior styling which is the polar opposite of the weeny Prius. Have 1200 miles and getting great MPG: 26 city / 31 hwy. Drives solid as a rock. No wimpy RAV4 or CRV for me!!

Highway MPG rating "FALSE"
By M.A.Berry on 07/24/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The highway MPG is very much overstated. I'm getting maybe 24-26 mpg driving the posted speed limits on the highways. In town 21-22. Driving the 4 cyl, automatic trans. So far, no mechanical problems.

Gm's finest!
By michelle on 07/15/10 16:54 PM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love this vehicle, better than any other car that i have ever owned!

6 Month Follow-Up
By Mooseclan on 07/06/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've now driven my Terrain about 8500 miles, and I have had no problems whatsoever. I can get 32 MPG on highway trips with regular 87 octane gas when I try (real calculated value, not just what the onboard computer states - although it agrees), but I average about 26 MPG on mixed daily commute of about 40 miles. For do-it-yourselfers who change your own oil, be advised you will need a special low-profile socket (about $5.00 online order). The cartridge oil filter is for agile, small hands but manageable. Ride and handling undiminished over the first 6 months. Runs like a top, but it's not a muscle car. With four adult passengers, you can notice the change in shifting points.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 GMC Terrain Suv in VA is:

$113 per month*