2010 GMC Terrain SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:
87,000 miles and switching
By drstubb1 on 11/06/13 12:53 PM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our 2010 Terrain new. My wife drives daily to work and in less than 3 years we already have 87,000 miles. We bought the car because we were informed that the mpg would be 31 or so. We've never gotten better than 27 and usually we're at 24-26 mpg with the 4 cylinder on eco. We've had problems with the lift gate, timing chain knocking, and at 80,000 miles we changed the tranny oil. It was black! Since then we've continued to feel it slip. Driving in the back seat is a horrific experience for people with good backs! It's too straight up and down. The AC has broken down twice in 2 years!

Malfunctions - timing change, noise, oil pouring out
By dlatour on 06/09/13 13:32 PM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

At 35,000 miles the timing change had to be changed. At 51,000 miles I brought it in for engine noise that was extremely loud and an oil film on the undercarriage. Told that the noise and oil was normal. Today at 54,000 miles it appears all of the oil drained out of the motor. Beside the huge puddle on the driveway there is oil from the front of the car to the rear of the car.

Worse vehicle I have ever had!
By texas322 on 04/07/13 19:31 PM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have never had so many problems with a new vehicle as we have had with this one. They had to replace timing chain, a rattling noise is still very loud but they tell us there is nothing wrong, drive the car to work and back and no engine light turned on or anything just a loud knocking noes in the motor every time we pressed gas.. Little did we know that the car had no engine oil... But it still showed it had 40% oil life. Don't know where the oil is going. This is the second time it's happened to us. We have to check oil at least every 2 weeks.. This is a 2010 car. Mileage is not what it says it is..

New engine in just under 3 years
By rhoda13 on 02/04/13 11:56 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wow, 1 day to the 3 year anniversary and engine light goes on. Code P0172. Fuel pump low pressure, fuel line crack and gas leaking into engine and oil... Oil 3 quarts low... GM warranty is supplying a New Engine! Just wow, I get a new engine, but what other trouble will this cause? Transimission problem? I hope not.. I hope it gets fixed 100%. Wish us luck.

Bad First Car Experience
By elizabeth87 on 01/14/13 10:02 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Terrain as a brand new model when it first came in at our local dealership in October, 2010. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. I have had to have my transmission re-calibrated 3 or more times now, I have about 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of oil drain out when an oil change is done every 3,000 miles.. I have had a camshaft actuator replaced, many different solenoids replaced, a cracked timing chain tensioner bracket replaced, my exhaust manifold gasket was leaking, a wheel bearing go out at about 20,000-30,000 miles, & have had a carbon clean out done 3 times in the last 6 months because it's causing my car to shut off. I am currently looking to trade this in.

Can't wait to pick up my new car!
By lmbt969 on 04/17/11 10:41 AM (PDT)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My family is picking up our 2010 GMC Terrain on Monday (tomorrow) and we are SO excited! It is actually used with 30,000 miles but its new to us! We took the car for almost an entire day last week (my very close friend is the manager of the dealership) and absolutely loved it. I drive a 2008 Tahoe for work and just can't imagine spending that kind of money on gas considering how much city driving I do. I love love love the interior and exterior styling of the Terrain. I agree with the "numb steering" feel, but I'm used to it from the Tahoe. We were impressed with the gas mileage, but long term remains to be seen. We were in the market for a 4cyl SUV and this one fit the bill!

Finally a vehicle tall people can enjoy :)
By theburr4 on 01/23/11 02:36 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Our gas mileage is 18.9 MPG. Many people don't like the red lighting but my family & I think it's pretty cool. The fabric seats aren't that attractive but they are comfortable & they seat my tall family very nicely with room to spare. This really is a beautiful, nice, and safe feeling SUV. It feels solid and drives well up mountain roads. The onstar is awesome along with the XM Radio and Ipod USB Port. I've only driven in the snow once with my AWD Terrain. It was brand new and I was nervous. I thought I was stuck and my Dad said "Come on and give it some gas!" No problem I got through their non-maintained road. The engine idle sound is horrible & embarrassing but we still love the car.

Would not buy again.
By Ron on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We liked the idea of 32 MPG highway but it has fallen far short of that. We are only getting about 25-26 MPG on the highway. We mostly drive about 68 mph with cruise control. GMC should be charged with false advertising. We took it into the dealer, Dick Norris of Clearwater, Florida and they supposedly checked it out on the "Computer" and found nothing wrong. We have already told everybody that asks about the Terrain and we mentioned the gas mileage problem to all of them. We are now stuck with this "Lemon" for three years and will never buy another GMC product. Sorry, but just telling the truth.

V6 with AWD
By JR on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle with 4800 miles on it, now has 10500 and have loved it. Get 17-19 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. The transmission does have a "different" shifting to it but not a big deal.Have gotten several compliments about the styling and such. GMC could do some improvements to it but that would be nit-picking on my part. Had a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe (for 8 years) and love the Terrain much more.

Reliable but junk!
By gsdhank on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 GMC Terrain SUV SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I drive 40,000 miles a year, and I will say that this is a reliable vehicle but the good ends there. when my full size Ford F-150 4x4 gets better mileage there is definitely something wrong here. I averaged slightly under 20 mpg over the coarse of 35,000 miles. driving gravel roads the cab fills with dust and i gave up cleaning the interior. i have the 3.0L v-6 and it is gutless, absolutely no power. also I am 6' 1" and head room is non- existent. I have no idea why people like this vehicle for anything besides the looks. the seats are rock hard, cruise control acts goofy, I hate the way the transmission shifts, climate control doesn't work the way it should.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 GMC Terrain Suv in WA is:

$141 per month*