Used 2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 GMC Terrain - Consumer Reviews

2010 GMC Terrain

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Run from this car!!
By anart04

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We've owned a 2010 GMC Terrain SLE 6 cylinder since December 2009. We purchased this after our first child and quickly realized how tiny the backseat was with a carseat installed. Along came baby number 2 and bye-bye went the third passenger in the back. Even just three average adults are squished into that tiny space. I couldn't sit between the 2 carseats and I'm 5'4, 130lbs. Within the first year, the tailgate needed to be repainted because the back licence plate housing rubbed the paint off. 18 months later, the same thing happened. At the 4 year mark, the inside bottom of all the doors are rusted to the metal. The center console USB plug stopped working after a year. Out of the blue, I got a service stabilitrac warning one day around 60,000 miles accompanied by loud grinding from my brakes. I needed a new wheelbearing, all new brake pads, and rotors, and my emergency brake caliber somehow fell off. At 63000 miles, at startup one evening, the engine sputtered and the notification center said low engine mode, service stabilitrack, and the abs, stabilitrak, and check engine light stayed on. After turning the car off and on a few times, the lights turned off, but I still had an intermittent check engine light turn on. The code for that was for a camshaft actuator and the engine had somehow burned or leaked 2 quarts of oil in a very short amount of time. Wasted $300 on a camshaft actuator and the check engine light stayed off long enough for the ride home. Called the dealership next day, they stated that the timing chains usually need to be replaced in these and that may be what is wrong (mind you, "may be" to the tune of another $1,000!) They also informed me that they had never changed the timing chains on a 6 cylinder at that dealership. I questioned if it would affect the engines function and was assured that the timing chains made noise when they went bad and I would know when it was time. Fast forward another 8 months and 3,000 miles and my service stabilitrak light, ABS, and check engine lights are on again and the engine has again consumed 3 quarts of oil in a short amount of time(yes, I regularly check the oil). This car was garage kept and averaged less than 10,000 miles a year, and I followed the maintenance schedule. I am the original owner. When I contacted GMC, their reply was that the vehicle is out of warranty and then they had the dealership contact me. After some research, I found my issues are similar to other GMC Terrain owners and if your Terrain isn't having any of these issues now, great, but I strongly suggest getting rid of it before this happens. If your looking to purchase a Terrain, please choose something else!!

Transmission is crap
By gac

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Had this car for 6 yrs and has less than 49K on it when the transmission goes out. You would think that a transmission with less than 49K on would last a little longer. I now see why GM reduced the mileage for it's powertrain warranty from 5yrs/100,000 to 5yrs/60,000. I'm sure they were losing big money. Also, fuel economy is way less than advertised. I barely get 18 MPG.

Black Bad Sparkle Machine
By david ordiway

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A Christmas Gift that wasn't worth giving!
By Tee

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We are warned that "Everything that looks good is not always good for you!" My son surprised me with this vehicle for Christmas 2 years ago. Needless to say, it was an expensive gift that was NOT worth giving. This vehicle will bankrupt you! If you purchased a 2010 GMC Terrain I certainly hope you have a good warranty to go along with it. You will most certainly need it. The Engine in these vehicles are LEMONS! You better buy stock in engine oil as well. Never mind any recommended oil change schedules you are given. Do it every 2,000 miles or you will pay the price. The best thing about that is, the car will warn you around every 2,000 mile interval. The engine begins to rattle when you press on the accelerator. It will begin to cut off on you upon acceleration. It will surge. It will stall and scare the hell out of you. And KEEP YOUR OIL CHANGE RECEIPTS, you will need them when you have to replace the engine...and you will have to replace the engine! They will try to say you did not change the oil according to schedule. Trust me, If I would of waited to do it every 3,000 (or 5,000 as they suggested) miles the engine probably would have caught fire. There have been numerous other issues as well, but the engine issues and the drastic over consumption of oil are the mother of all other issues. BUYER BEWARE! It's a shame too because I like the design, the body style, and the interior cabin space. But the cons far outweigh the pros.

2010 GMC Terrain Do not Buy!!!!
By Ever

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very expensive for junk suv!! Rather put more $$$ to Toyota Rav4 or Honda CR-V.