Used 2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Gmc Terrain - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Lemon in the making
By ericdm33

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was really looking forward to owning this vehicle when I purchased it. Now just 5 years and 70k miles in, I'm currently dealing with my 3rd breakdown. This was my first American built vehicle ever, and it may very well be my last.

Favorite Features

The chrome pieces on the dash which reflect sunlight directly into your eyes while driving.

Suggested Improvements

Stop being cheap and cutting corners American auto industry.

cute car but unreliable with ongoing issues
By aestabrook

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this car new in 2010. within 6 months there was trouble. oil issues, check engine light with no real causes, throttle body replacement, stalling on the highway, stalling on side roads, general unreliability. I have been towed into the dealer 9 times since purchase for dying on the side of some road. It burns oil for no reason. GMC and dealer just say too bad, and tell me to check it every 1000 miles between oil changes. I typically add between 1 to 2.5 quarts every 1500 miles. The car is comfortable, and spacious for having two car seats in it, BUT that comfort does not outweight its ongoin challenges. I would get rid of it if i had the money to.

Favorite Features

spacious

Suggested Improvements

reliability, oil challenges, among the many

Most unreliable vehicle i've ever owned
By tpregnar

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My first car cost $17,000 less than my terrain and was 100% more reliable. Lots of warranty work was done on the engine before the engine needed to be rebuilt. After it was rebuilt the gas mileage plummeted. then the transmission blew just out of warranty. Would have been nice to be able to check the transmission fluid without crawling under the car, but there is no dipstick. Absolute waste of money and the last gm product I will own.

Not worth buying
By bxgirl

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my Terrain soon as it hit dealerships during its release. I've never visited a dealership so many times and have had so many problems with a vehicle. Since having this vehicle I've had problems with the vehicle shutting off in the middle of intersections due to the senor oxygen (engine control) needing to be replaced to due cold starting the vehicle, the rear control arm bushings, the stabilizer shaft, the exhaust manifold all of which needed to be replaced. Now, GM was trying to hit me over the head and charge me for the timing chain which they try putting on me for not changing the oil. Luckily I saved all my receipts and they had to eat the $847 bill.

Big lemon
By somerside

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this terrain just over a year ago and have had nothing but problems. In its 4 years of being on the road it's had the motor rebuild due to oil consumption issue. It's had the timing chain replaced twice. The AWD system has malfunctioned. The sunroof is broken. The navigation unit has been changed twice. Numerous sensors have been replaced. The emissions system has been a nightmare. I've spent a lot out of pocket cause most of it has not been under warranty. I'm very disappointed in the quality that GM has put into the first gen terrain. Overall the vehicle so unreliable that I can't trust it for my wife to drive back and forth to work. I do not recommend this vehicle at all.