1999 GMC Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Strong solid truck
By gosurf on 11/02/12 20:30 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Dad bought it used, hauled us up and down the coast thru my childhood and never a problem. The normal things went wrong around 150000, fuel pump transfer case radiator about 3000 in repairs , now it's mine and runs strong as ever. With a 3 inch body lift and 33in all terrains the thing gets me through everything! I go down to corrala beach every few weaks and ruts or no ruts that vortec gets me out of anything. Rip out all the stupid electronics and lights forget about ac and this trucks a badass.

Great Truck
By tmgj on 03/09/12 02:38 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Suburban K1500 SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Dad bought my suburban new and put 170,000 miles on it. He replaced the fuel pump and the transfer case. I bought it from him and have put another 40,000 on it. I've replaced the starter and the transfer case(again). At 210,000 it still runs great, drives down the highway like a dream and gets 18mpg on the highway. I'm not going to downgrade to a smaller truck/suv to increase the mpg's by 3! When I wax it, it almost looks new....almost. I plan to take it to 300,000, the best part, no car payment, I always remind myself of that when I'm filling up the 40 gallon tank.

300 Thousand Miles
By 300ksuburban on 02/25/12 15:05 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

300 Thousand Miles on my 1999 GMC Suburban. Original engine and Transmission.

Beauty and the Beast
By duckie44 on 01/22/11 17:28 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Suburban K1500 SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When we first purchased the car about 3 years ago, it kept breaking down, we had to put a whole new engine in it, new fuel pump, new tires, and a few other things needed to be fixed. The AC does not work, it sucks with the leather seats during summer. BUT!! This car is awesome, once everything was fixed up, all was well. It's been running great! Sounds like a beast. I am a girl so we're Beauty and the Beast together!! Even with all of these problems it's very convienent. With the horrible gas mileage I just ask the other 8 passengers to pitch in for gas. It's a great road trip car! I love it.

Great Car
By Carlton on 04/29/10 00:08 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car in 2001 with 80,000 miles on it. It has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever had. I am so impressed with the Suburban, that I wax it once a month. I now have 237,000 miles and it still runs like a champ! Believe me, I got a great car!

Great Over the Long Haul
By Locomotion on 04/22/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Suburban K1500 SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We got our Suburban in 2001, it had low mileage and was in great shape. It has brought us across the country and everywhere else we wanted to go. It has been a wonderful truck. It'll haul the whole family comfortably. Maintenance wise, the only big problem we've had was the coolinbg system disaster when a different type of coolant caused the intake gaskets to decompose. Changed that and it was back on the road. The only negative I've seen is the design for home repairmen. It could have been designed for easier repair for the do-it- yourselfer! The price of gas is causing us to consider trading or selling to buy a smaller truck, but outside of that it's the best truck on the road.

BIG BABAY
By Mike on 01/24/10 01:04 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Suburban K1500 SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchase this truck at 112,000 miles in 2002. I like the smooth ride it gives on the highway. It handles like a car. And Great for big familys and a true work horse. But I replaced alot of parts on it. Running up a repair bill of $4000.00+

Best SUV of its time.
By Matt on 10/15/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Suburban C1500 SLT 4dr SUV

Alright, so this truck is plain great. About a year back we had the head gaskets replaced (175000 miles, currently 185000) and its ready to go for 200000 more! The only problem we have with it is the ABS brakes act up and sometimes the brake pedal pushes back, but its no big deal... just keep the foot pushing back. We used this truck for hauling horse trailers for 8 years, and still use it for vacation. There is plenty of room in the back, and the back seats fold down for even more room. I am 6'6 and I still have about 2" of headroom left.

Beast of Burden
By Bryant on 08/01/09 21:18 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Suburban K2500 SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this 99 GMC K2500 7.4 Suburban new and the only positive comment I can make is that it still runs strong at 125,000 miles. The following problems all started shortly after the 3 year warranty, leather seats started peeling, wipers almost never work or stop in the same place, radio buttons pop off, doors out of alignment and lots of wind noise, replaced fuel pump so many times I cut a port hole above the fuel tank, eats brakes and rotors (drilled rotors last longer), replaced a/c compressor and hoses, center console squeaks, replaced radiator twice, replaced inner and outer door handles at least 2-3 times, window motors twice and cannot keep power steering hoses from blowing out.

great suv
By 99GMCsublovr on 06/23/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Suburban C1500 SLT 4dr SUV

we have had this car for 3 years now and it still runs great even for being 10 years old. It is comfortable and its one of those cars that holds its style for a long time. I love the steering on this suv, it has a great feel to it and it can steer sharp. We have the 5.7l engine which has penty of power for everyday driving comfort and for saturday fun!! I love the engine sound when you punch the gas, it still sounds great. The ride quality is great on the highway, although at 70mph it seems to shake some, but thats only because we need our tires rotated and allined.