1998 GMC Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Third times a charm
By Bunnys454 on 07/24/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third suburban I've owned, and i have to say that the third is definitely a charm. I love hauling my kids, their friends, my friends and all the extra crap in the back of my truck. It pulls anything i ask it to and the 454 isn't that bad with mileage. Mine has been slightly neglected over the last year, but my baby always starts and runs for me! I'm proud to be seen in it and know that its a tank but who cares? I'm in Minnesota and I'm telling you, burbs are tanks! Two feet of snow, two wheel drive, and you still can fly past people. Ive been offered on it, but wont sell this one. Hes a keeper for sure!

Long Time Owner
By Marshall on 11/20/09 18:04 PM (PST)

1998 GMC Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Bought vehicle in 11/97, and have driven over 297,000 miles. Original transmission lasted 207,000. Have replaced just about everything (except engine) several times. Worst experience involved the fuel pump... after replacing 3 times in 12 months, discovered the fuel harness underneath vehicle had a nick (from a rock?), and when it bumped metal it would burn the pump up. Needless to say, our family of 5 have loved the Suburban, and would definitely purchase another.

Great American made truck
By Imateetoo on 07/28/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this truck used at 60,000 miles and have had very little trouble with it. I wanted something that could pull my horse trailer over mountains with no problem and it more than delivers. The 2500 model / 454hp engine is outstanding! Having the rear A/C is essential with people in the third seat in the summer. We are and will remain a Suburban family! My last Suburban (a 1979) went to almost 300,000 miles on the original engine. GMC certainly does make a GREAT truck!

GM Engineers were touched by God
By BigRon65 on 02/27/09 09:51 AM (PST)

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I wouldn't trade this vehicle for anything in the world. I've raised three kids in this beast and it still runs like a top after 140,00 miles. A steering issue and a water pump are all the problems I've had with this baby and that's it. A few weeks ago I got T-boned by three full grown deer running across a dimly lit two lane road in the middle of a cold night. They hit me in full stride. My GMC didn't budge! I checked the rear view and the deer were sprawled across the road. Got some damage to my doors and quarter panels but I've had them fixed and my baby still runs great. Get one and keep it forever.

Really A Proud Suburban Driver!
By prdsubrbndrvr on 11/15/08 21:39 PM (PST)

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My Suburban is my tank! I am in college and love to drive all my friends around and everyone is sooo safe and comfy! Its a beast! The MPG is actually ok for being an older Suburban. The 44 gallon tank is the best thing ever for going a long time without filling up! I would like to thank my parents for handing this down to me! Minimal mechanical problems due to its age, but its always running strong! Took is off roading, 4x4 is the bomb on my tank! I will keep this till its end!

Great First Vehicle! Proud Owner
By PrdSubrbnDrvr on 06/13/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I was handed down the Suburban from my parents 2 years ago when I turned 16, my parents bought the 2006 Denali XL. I love this truck! It is so fun to drive everywhere, I love taking my friends around. The gas mileage is good, the 44 gallon tank helps a lot, but not at the pump($160 everytime, but lasts forever!) This truck has been nothing but reliable and strong for us. Only fix was the fuel pump went out at 120,000. It has been through towing the 7000lb camper everywhere. I am still debating on if I ever want to replace it. I want to run it till it dies, it's at 125,000 now. I say to people I drive a tank, and it is. The Ford Excursion may be bigger, but not all metal like mine!

Perfect for me!
By Proud AZ owner on 06/08/07 09:11 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought our Suburban in 1998 to tow our RV with. It performed outstandingly and when towing, the Suburban didn't hesitate a bit. We love our Suburban! It has been across the US towing the RV, it provided 100's of safe and comfy trips! We just recently bought a 2006 Yukon XL Denali to tow our RV because the Suburban is getting older now. Last year, I got my license and I knew I wanted the Suburban. I love being taller and bigger than all the other cars!

7 years of great service
By Jay on 03/24/07 04:26 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our '98 Burb in 2000 w/59000 miles, getting out of a poor quality Chrysler minivan. We knew what to expect as far as gas mileage but didn't as far as reliability. After countless trips back and forth to soccer games, school, 2000 mile vacations, this Burbhas never stranded us on the road and has only been in the shop twice for repair work- intake gasket and fuel pump. The only reason we're selling it is because one of my children is getting ready to drive, so we're downsizing. Except for the 14 mpg around town, this Burb has been as dependable as any Toyota or Honda!

Solid SUV
By I_like_burban on 01/05/07 10:55 AM (PST)

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 114000 miles six months ago. I've needed to patch the A/C lines and replace two U joints. Other than that, the Suburban has been solid. Great on long trips, comfortable, MPG runs 13-14 city and 15-16 hwy. Usable cargo space is excellent with the third row seats out, and I can pack 8 people in when all the seats are installed. Good substitute for a full sized pickup if you don't want to sacrifice seating space. The Suburbans tend to run a couple of thousand dollars less than comparable pickups on the used market as well. If you're buying a Suburban with over 90,000 miles, look for one that has already had the transmission rebuilt.

Strongest SUV Ever!
By Automan on 07/25/05 17:09 PM (PDT)

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Lets start with my truck is the stongest truck I have ever owned. I have the 5.7 V8 4x4 and I tow my 30ft. travel trailer that weighs 7500 dry! It tows it like nothing, sometimes I forget until I look in the rear view mirror. I can tow with it going 65 up steep hills! My Suburban is maroon with tan leather interior. Seats 8 with room for more. We take our friends and their family members everywhere in it. It looks and drives like when I bought it new.