Used 1998 GMC Suburban Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 GMC Suburban - Consumer Reviews

1998 GMC Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Third times a charm
By Bunnys454

1998 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third suburban I've owned, and i have to say that the third is definitely a charm. I love hauling my kids, their friends, my friends and all the extra crap in the back of my truck. It pulls anything i ask it to and the 454 isn't that bad with mileage. Mine has been slightly neglected over the last year, but my baby always starts and runs for me! I'm proud to be seen in it and know that its a tank but who cares? I'm in Minnesota and I'm telling you, burbs are tanks! Two feet of snow, two wheel drive, and you still can fly past people. Ive been offered on it, but wont sell this one. Hes a keeper for sure!

The space. my kids are very tall and fit well in the back, while adults have more room than necessary in front. This was true in my 86 and my 93 burbs too.

Change coil and fuel pressure regulator locations. I wasn't happy tearing the intake off to get to them, or all the a/c components to reach behind there.

Long Time Owner
By Marshall

1998 GMC Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Bought vehicle in 11/97, and have driven over 297,000 miles. Original transmission lasted 207,000. Have replaced just about everything (except engine) several times. Worst experience involved the fuel pump... after replacing 3 times in 12 months, discovered the fuel harness underneath vehicle had a nick (from a rock?), and when it bumped metal it would burn the pump up. Needless to say, our family of 5 have loved the Suburban, and would definitely purchase another.

interior layout, seating, large cargo space, smooth ride.

Cover the wiring underneath from rocks (see above).

Great American made truck
By Imateetoo

1998 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this truck used at 60,000 miles and have had very little trouble with it. I wanted something that could pull my horse trailer over mountains with no problem and it more than delivers. The 2500 model / 454hp engine is outstanding! Having the rear A/C is essential with people in the third seat in the summer. We are and will remain a Suburban family! My last Suburban (a 1979) went to almost 300,000 miles on the original engine. GMC certainly does make a GREAT truck!

GM Engineers were touched by God
By BigRon65

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I wouldn't trade this vehicle for anything in the world. I've raised three kids in this beast and it still runs like a top after 140,00 miles. A steering issue and a water pump are all the problems I've had with this baby and that's it. A few weeks ago I got T-boned by three full grown deer running across a dimly lit two lane road in the middle of a cold night. They hit me in full stride. My GMC didn't budge! I checked the rear view and the deer were sprawled across the road. Got some damage to my doors and quarter panels but I've had them fixed and my baby still runs great. Get one and keep it forever.

I love the roominess, reliability, comfort, and strength of this bad boy. It drives like you wouldn't believe in snow and ice and don't let me get started on the towing strength. I honestly feel safe and strong in this vehicle. The 44 gallon tank is great.

None. This vehicle is one of a kind and the GM engineers who designed this baby were touched by God cause they got it perfect.

Really A Proud Suburban Driver!
By prdsubrbndrvr

1998 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My Suburban is my tank! I am in college and love to drive all my friends around and everyone is sooo safe and comfy! Its a beast! The MPG is actually ok for being an older Suburban. The 44 gallon tank is the best thing ever for going a long time without filling up! I would like to thank my parents for handing this down to me! Minimal mechanical problems due to its age, but its always running strong! Took is off roading, 4x4 is the bomb on my tank! I will keep this till its end!

Seats 8 comfy, strong 5.7 V8 engine, huge gas tank, chilly A/C, GMC reliability, endless cup holders and A/C vents! Metal tank feel! The steering in outstanding, smooth and easy!

Only had to replace fuel pump and O2 sensor so far after 128,000 miles, not bad at all! Brakes could be better, but they work fine