Used 1997 GMC Suburban 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 GMC Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Unreliable
By sandyle03

1997 GMC Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

I have had my truck for 5 years. Although I haven't had to replace the fuel pump, I am having some electrical issues. The starter is not bad, but sometimes I will drive some place, get out, and get back in the truck...it won't say a sound, no turn over or nothing but everything in the truck still works. I took it to GMC and they refused to dig into the problem because it would not stall there (no wonder they are in bankrupt). They put a $356 wire on it, and it did it again as soon as I stopped to the store leaving. No one would come up the road to help me.(maybe 5 blocks) Great vehicle but the gas cost is killing me! If I can get it to stop stalling, it would be even better!

My fav would be the cd and cassette player combo.

I would suggest a switch that can turn off/on the headlights. It is annoying when they are constantly on. Also a reliable horn, mine is gone out, and it's not the fuse.

4 months and lovin' it
By Mike

1997 GMC Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

I really like this Suburban. This is the first full size SUV I have owned and I love it. I have had minor problems such as the wipers getting stuck, but move after I "help" them. There is also a gremlin in the wiring for the interior lights. They stay on all the time unless I use the override switch. I find these to be minor problems I can live with. I have the 7.4 2wd. Loads of power! Gas mileage the same as my old Grand Cherokee 12mpg. Nine-passenger seating has plenty enough room for three kids and camping gear. Handles great on the open highway, a little tougher to handle in the city traffic. Also, it's a big truck that needs lots of room to stop. Brakes could be better. Great truck.

Three numbers :4 5 4. Big engine, gobs of power!!

Brakes. At over 5000lbs it could use some bigger binders.