1997 GMC Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Knock on wood
By Dennis on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have done nothing except for regular maintenance on this vehicle. 1 fuel pump. Two sets of front brakes. 1 water pump. The interstate ride is phenomenal if you can afford the gas. 11 miles to a gallon. 1 tune-up in 10 years. We are overdue. We load it up and go. No thoughts of breakdowns so far. Please Lord, don't let this little bit of bragging jinx me

Great Car, Great Value
By bw626 on 05/07/10 06:28 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the SLT 4X4 2500 Suburban new. Had all the options. I put 230,000 miles on it, wrecked it, fixed it, and put another 50,000 on it. Never did anything other than routine maintenace and brakes. I sold my Suburban after buying a new truck in 2007 for $3500-with a repaired title and 280,000 miles on it. These cars are reliable, comfortable, have incredible towing capacity, and have great resale value. Had plenty of room for passengers and cargo space. If you can find one of these used, buy it. They are wonderful cars.

Doesn't quit
By Curt on 12/31/09 08:26 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

My 97 Burb was without a doubt, the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owend. It is currently at 391,500 kms (Yes you read it correctly) and going strong.I live in Canada and use it for hunting, fishing, and in -35 degree celcius weather. I have no worries about turning the key and making another 1500 km trip without notice or time to prep. Aside from changing the Fuel Pump once (common problem), I have not had any major issues with her. There is no rust on it and the interior is still in great shape without cracks in the dash or holes in the seats. Aside from regular maintenace and fluid changes, the only thing that I had to change was the air freshener. It never quits!

One of GM's Best
By Mike H on 06/23/09 23:29 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck's been in my family for 10 years now, and I just received it from my dad last year around this time. And, at 210,000 miles, it still runs like a dream. This truck's been through hell and back. My older sister destroyed two cars with it, every winter in Michigan, this truck's a toughie. Repairs have been minimal: replaced alternator at 125,000, replaced rear-end at 160,000, one battery, 3 sets of front brakes, distributor cap. The back brakes are the originals that came on the truck 12 years ago, and they still aren't worn through. Essentially, from my experience, it doesn't wanna give up. And, atop all that, I'm still beating the mileage ratings. That old 5.7 is a strong one.

Unreliable
By sandyle03 on 06/20/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

I have had my truck for 5 years. Although I haven't had to replace the fuel pump, I am having some electrical issues. The starter is not bad, but sometimes I will drive some place, get out, and get back in the truck...it won't say a sound, no turn over or nothing but everything in the truck still works. I took it to GMC and they refused to dig into the problem because it would not stall there (no wonder they are in bankrupt). They put a $356 wire on it, and it did it again as soon as I stopped to the store leaving. No one would come up the road to help me.(maybe 5 blocks) Great vehicle but the gas cost is killing me! If I can get it to stop stalling, it would be even better!

1997 K1500 Suburban
By RTS on 10/02/08 16:04 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Good solid truck for the most part. Two issues in the last 57,000 miles, first it lost the 2-3 clutch pack in the transmission at 121,000 but the previous owner had done a lot of towing. Second I lost a fuel pump at 154,000 miles but that was my own fault for not changing the fuel filter as often as required (filter was pluged). It took me longer to drain the tank than it did to replace the pump, which cost $110. I have a 32' travel trailer and 4 kids and overall this has been a good vehicle. Mileage is poor, but there is a limit to what you can expect from a 5300 pound box.

Tough & Reliable
By JWG on 08/12/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased our '97 Suburban new and will probably have it for 3-5 more years. It's been a great vehicle! I'm big on maintenance. Treat the car right and the car will treat you right. Consequently, we've never had a break down or surprise issue.

I love my sub
By Dena Shatzer on 04/18/08 22:10 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this SUV. Best I've ever owned. I have a 6 inch lift and 35's. It' reliable and comfortable. The only problem is I go through 2 sets of brakes a year, thank goodness for lifetime warranty pads. Plenty of room for camping and ballgames. Pulls 5 quads easily. Rear air is great.

Old and still running well.
By R W on 07/09/07 10:49 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

125,000 miles and still running like a champ. Hauls our 3000 lb travel trailer well, but uses a lot of gas when towing (9 mpg). When not towing I get 18 mpg on the highway. Replaced fuel pump two times in two month (also replaced steering gearbox and alternator, but after 113,000 miles, I suppose that's OK). The engine itself is solid as a rock. 125,000 miles and no leaks. It runs very smooth even on heavy acceleration. I've heard from a lot of people, including mechanics, to watch the tranny. Had a spring break in the tranny, but was inexpensive to repair.

Car Eating Me Out of House and Home
By fifthavenuegirl on 12/01/06 09:11 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

This car looks really cool but I have only had it a year and it has already cost me $3000 in repair bills. It has been a nightmare and waste of my time waiting in the waiting rooms while it gets fixed. And that doesnt include the $900 for the tires I will have to replace if I keep it. I've only had it a year and bought it with under 100k miles.