Used 1997 GMC Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 GMC Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Knock on wood
By Dennis

1997 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have done nothing except for regular maintenance on this vehicle. 1 fuel pump. Two sets of front brakes. 1 water pump. The interstate ride is phenomenal if you can afford the gas. 11 miles to a gallon. 1 tune-up in 10 years. We are overdue. We load it up and go. No thoughts of breakdowns so far. Please Lord, don't let this little bit of bragging jinx me

Roominess, power, towing and otherwise. You may forget that you are towing anything. All this at 170,000 miles. Thanks GMC

Brake capacity. Stopping on a dime is a pipe dream. Leave plenty of room and you will be fine.

Great Car, Great Value
By bw626

1997 GMC Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the SLT 4X4 2500 Suburban new. Had all the options. I put 230,000 miles on it, wrecked it, fixed it, and put another 50,000 on it. Never did anything other than routine maintenace and brakes. I sold my Suburban after buying a new truck in 2007 for $3500-with a repaired title and 280,000 miles on it. These cars are reliable, comfortable, have incredible towing capacity, and have great resale value. Had plenty of room for passengers and cargo space. If you can find one of these used, buy it. They are wonderful cars.

Leather seats, rear A/C, towing capacity, reliability, quality

Nothing.

Doesn't quit
By Curt

1997 GMC Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

My 97 Burb was without a doubt, the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owend. It is currently at 391,500 kms (Yes you read it correctly) and going strong.I live in Canada and use it for hunting, fishing, and in -35 degree celcius weather. I have no worries about turning the key and making another 1500 km trip without notice or time to prep. Aside from changing the Fuel Pump once (common problem), I have not had any major issues with her. There is no rust on it and the interior is still in great shape without cracks in the dash or holes in the seats. Aside from regular maintenace and fluid changes, the only thing that I had to change was the air freshener. It never quits!

Love the space, dash layout and reliabilty. The 5.7 Vortec is incredible!

Mileage isn't the greatest but if you're buying a Suburban you already know this. If you want economy, buy a tin can import. If you want quality and reliability buy a Sub.

One of GM's Best
By Mike H

1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck's been in my family for 10 years now, and I just received it from my dad last year around this time. And, at 210,000 miles, it still runs like a dream. This truck's been through hell and back. My older sister destroyed two cars with it, every winter in Michigan, this truck's a toughie. Repairs have been minimal: replaced alternator at 125,000, replaced rear-end at 160,000, one battery, 3 sets of front brakes, distributor cap. The back brakes are the originals that came on the truck 12 years ago, and they still aren't worn through. Essentially, from my experience, it doesn't wanna give up. And, atop all that, I'm still beating the mileage ratings. That old 5.7 is a strong one.

Good longevity, looks great, awesome in the snow.

As with all large SUVs, mileage. That's about it. But, if ya treat it right, it'll get ya there with 14 city/18 highway like me.

Unreliable
By sandyle03

1997 GMC Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

I have had my truck for 5 years. Although I haven't had to replace the fuel pump, I am having some electrical issues. The starter is not bad, but sometimes I will drive some place, get out, and get back in the truck...it won't say a sound, no turn over or nothing but everything in the truck still works. I took it to GMC and they refused to dig into the problem because it would not stall there (no wonder they are in bankrupt). They put a $356 wire on it, and it did it again as soon as I stopped to the store leaving. No one would come up the road to help me.(maybe 5 blocks) Great vehicle but the gas cost is killing me! If I can get it to stop stalling, it would be even better!

My fav would be the cd and cassette player combo.

I would suggest a switch that can turn off/on the headlights. It is annoying when they are constantly on. Also a reliable horn, mine is gone out, and it's not the fuse.