Used 1992 GMC Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Gmc Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Gets the job done
By John

1992 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it in 1998 and now have 170,000 miles on it. As everyone says, it gets the job done no matter how big or small. Used ones always seem to have new transmissions, but I always use 3rd gear going up and down hills so the torque converter doesn't have to work, and the trans still seems just fine. Bought some Michelin LT265/75R16 tires for it 60,000 miles ago soon after I got the Sub and they are still going strong although I'll replace them before going in the snow again. It's resale value is so low that it's not worth selling and I keep it around for heavy hauling - it's still just a sturdy GM pickup with a fancy covered rear. I get 14 mpg or more on the road at 75 mph.

The Beast
By allen5532

1992 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

They dont make them like this anymore. I love this thing. Road trips are like ease. If you can get one cheap pick it up.

Favorite Features

2 huge recliners in the front!

Suggested Improvements

The speakers stock are horrible.

The Ultimate Hauler
By M. Morrison

1992 GMC Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Love everything about my 1992 Suburban except putting gas in it. I purchased this truck because I work for a parrot and wild bird rescue on weekends and needed the room. So far, there hasn't been anything I can't fit in it...people, large cages...I've had it through some trails on our property that our 4x4 Kaboda has trouble with and have yet to be pulled out. Absolutly no reliability issues as of yet...I prefer this engine to the newer Vortec engine with the troublesome intakes. If you don't mind $130.00 fill-ups, it's the ultimate hauler!

Favorite Features

The room! If you fold all the seats down, you basically have a 8 foot pick-up bed in the back...it carries anything. Always starts, goes anywhere at any time.

92 Suburban c1500
By B

1992 GMC Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

My 92 Suburban was in my family, a family member gave it to me. It was pretty well taken care of except for the fact he barely drove it, so some rust accumilated. It has the great 5.7 liter, which isn't too good on gas. Also, the 42 gallon tank is very unforgiving. I'll put in $40 in gas, and the needle barely moves, but whatever it is really fun to drive. My exhaust was falling off so I put in a performance LMC truck dual ehaust system, which sounds great, and was only $20 more than a stock style system. I also put in a new stereo, and speakers because the one it came with didn't work. If you take care of this truck, it will work great.

Favorite Features

It seats nine people comfortably! It's the ultimate road trip machine! As long as your buddies pay for gas!

Suggested Improvements

I wish it didnt rust so easily. As for feul economy, you shouldn't expect any from a 2 ton truck and a 5.7 v8.