Used 2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab

SLS 4.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic 4.6 ft. Bed - (9 reviews )

Poor quality
By Tim R

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had to get a new transfer case at 10,000 miles. Oil pickup tube fell into gears and ruined transfer case. Replaced air conditioner compressor at 42,000 miles. Transmission is now slipping badly. Fuel filler neck has been replaced, but still overflows when refueling. Leaf spring bushings are noisy. Would not buy again.

Favorite Features

Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Longer warranty. 3 yrs, 36K doesn't show much confidence in the product.

I like my truck.
By Jeff

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I like my truck. Haven't had any major problems in 40,000 miles. The driver's seat is comfortable for long trips, but the back seat will only hold adults for short trips. The radio is good for stock. This is a good truck. It always starts easily, even in cold weather, but I'm not sure I can afford the gas.

Favorite Features

Handles snow and rainy roads well. I love automatic headlights. The radio automatically increases/decreases volume as speed increases/decreases, so no turning up radio on the highway, or turning down when coming to a stop. The interior (dome, map) lights are plentiful and really nice.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible fuel economy: 15mpg city, 20mpg highway. Wish I could turn off the headlights when parked. Secure molding on windows so molding doesn't become displaced when raising power windows. Scanning on the radio should scan all available stations, not just preset. Wipers run too long after wash.

Very unreliable truck
By St Louis Ex Owner

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just traded this piece of junk in for a Nissan pathfinder, hopefully I have better luck with the new vehicle. I don't know where to start. To begin with it was in the shop more than on the road. First it was the blower motor, then the transfer case, then the brakes (all under warranty). Finally when it was out of warranty the ball joints in the front which was $500 at 39,000 miles. Enough was enough so I am through with this money pit. Thank god. Sad thing is this was the first vehicle I really tried to baby.

Favorite Features

The crew cab and the ZR5 package made it look nice.

Suggested Improvements

Make a more reliable vehicle. This is 2003 and there is no excuse for this. I think I will be one who only buys foreign cars from now on.

Not worth the purchase
By Alaska Owner

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but trouble form the start. The quality is very poor. The doors seem that they don't hold a seal. Various engine problems too. Find a different truck. Don't want you as a buyer to go through what I am going through.

Favorite Features

The steering wheel. The only thing that makes it feel like a truck.

Suggested Improvements

The body frame. The weather seals. Maybe even the doors. The shocks.

SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY FORD
By Happy Consumer

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Got rid of my Ford Ranger Edge to get more room. Big mistake. This truck has rattled since the day I bought it. Windshield seal came out at highway speed a week after I got it. Dealership said it happens allot in warm climates…HELLO GM HOW ABOUT FIXING THE PROBLEM IF IT HAPPENS ALLOT. Interior is cheap and truck has already been having electrical problems (shorts causing check engine light to come on). I spent more time in a rental Neon than in my new truck. It is very capable off road. I think my problems are more from cheap workmanship than faulty parts. GM should slow down their assembly line and pay attention to what their doing.

Favorite Features

Lots of room in a small truck. 4 adults can ride comfortably. Off road capability. Great low range. Hug tow capacity. Awsome rebates. Only paid $19,000.

Suggested Improvements

MORE FIT A FINISHED. More horsepower without taking torque. Less road noise. Rewired for towing (come on Ford can do it). Must do something about wires rattling on firewall. Caulk windshield seal with something more heat resistant.