2003 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Great starter vehicle
By Avery on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

My dad gave me this truck as my first vehicle, and so far it has suited my needs well. I dont drive it much at all, just to school or town or what ever so there's only 40,000 miles on it. Its the funnest vehicle to drive off roads and on jeeping trails, the 4wd is great for winter too. my only regrets are that i have had to put in a good deal of money to keep it running up to par. it seems as though every year i have to change wheel bearings and the cab door has been giving me problems for the last few years. Its a tough little truck and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a great looking fun truck to drive.

Best thing I've ever owned
By Chris on 06/20/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SL Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the truck brand new with 3 miles on it. Nothing has went wrong with it in five years, so if you take care of it, it will take care of you.The truck has got 90,000 miles on it now and most of it is highway miles. Did some modifiyng but an air intake system and a AIC model in it and I get about 42 miles to the gallon, before it got 37.

My Black Beauty
By Kevo on 04/27/08 13:27 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I believe that this is the best looking truck of all time. Gas mileage stinks! I love the black and the ZR2 because of its lifted gift.

I could design a better truck!
By Conserned Customer on 12/30/07 18:40 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SLS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First off, bought the truck on GM's reputation. Decent design, good comfort, but performance, and gas mileage is something to be desired. I had a '96 Nissan 4 banger that would run circles around this GMC. Come on guy's get with it.

My Work truck
By joe on 08/08/07 21:37 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SLS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Since I have had my Sonoma, I have gotten avg. of 26mpg. The power of the 4 cyl engine leaves to be desired, however, it is a good crusing truck and rides very nice. It is sporty looking and really fun to drive.

Most horrible car ever owned
By Esfandiar on 01/28/07 12:05 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SL Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car to commute to work everyday and not for heavy duty use. This car has been driven only 17000 Miles and transmission started losing oil. The power steering makes noise and the car runs rough on turns. This is my second GMC car and the last one. I hate cheap workmanship, crappy design and horrible engineering. How can a well maintained car (by dealer every 3000 miles) has to have transmission problem after only 17000 miles? Please save yourself a lot time/money and buy a decent car and I urge GMS to send their designers to Honda or Toyota for through training.

What I think
By Dave on 01/07/07 20:52 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The '03 GMC Sonoma 3dr extended cab is a good, well running truck that gets from point A to point B.

Poor quality
By Tim R on 06/16/06 11:53 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had to get a new transfer case at 10,000 miles. Oil pickup tube fell into gears and ruined transfer case. Replaced air conditioner compressor at 42,000 miles. Transmission is now slipping badly. Fuel filler neck has been replaced, but still overflows when refueling. Leaf spring bushings are noisy. Would not buy again.

I like my truck.
By Jeff on 04/28/06 22:14 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I like my truck. Haven't had any major problems in 40,000 miles. The driver's seat is comfortable for long trips, but the back seat will only hold adults for short trips. The radio is good for stock. This is a good truck. It always starts easily, even in cold weather, but I'm not sure I can afford the gas.

Truck I have Always Wanted
By Deer Slayer on 03/15/06 11:24 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I came to the dealership to see a ZR2 S-10, next to it was this Bright yellow, 2003, GMC Sonoma ZR2. I FEEL IN LOVE WITH IT. I always wanted this truck, this style, this color. Since I bought it I have done some off- roading and some highway driving and have been pleased with it on both ideas. I look forward to driving my truck everyday and find myself, more times then not, when i park it and walk away, turning around and looking at it thinking, WOW!