Used 2003 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 GMC Sonoma

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Great starter vehicle
By Avery

2003 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

My dad gave me this truck as my first vehicle, and so far it has suited my needs well. I dont drive it much at all, just to school or town or what ever so there's only 40,000 miles on it. Its the funnest vehicle to drive off roads and on jeeping trails, the 4wd is great for winter too. my only regrets are that i have had to put in a good deal of money to keep it running up to par. it seems as though every year i have to change wheel bearings and the cab door has been giving me problems for the last few years. Its a tough little truck and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a great looking fun truck to drive.

Favorite Features

cab space for dirty laundry, bumping stereo system, automatic headlights, and sexy looks.

Suggested Improvements

more bass in the sound system, a better cab door. my cab door would wear against the clamp and would never seal right, so that whenever you hit a bump the doors would vibrate. Also the handle to the cab door had snapped twice. so the cab door needs some work.

Best thing I've ever owned
By Chris

2003 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SL Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the truck brand new with 3 miles on it. Nothing has went wrong with it in five years, so if you take care of it, it will take care of you.The truck has got 90,000 miles on it now and most of it is highway miles. Did some modifiyng but an air intake system and a AIC model in it and I get about 42 miles to the gallon, before it got 37.

Favorite Features

Nice play truck in the water and snow. Really light weight so in the snow about 500 lbs is ok to but in the bed of the truck to get around. Nice to look at when the truck is washed. Sound system is one of the best for a little truck.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine for more towing.

My Black Beauty
By Kevo

2003 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I believe that this is the best looking truck of all time. Gas mileage stinks! I love the black and the ZR2 because of its lifted gift.

Favorite Features

Truck looks mean like a transformer.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, lube oil cooler lines and clamps are always bad, and an understandable bad turning ratio.

I could design a better truck!
By Conserned Customer

2003 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SLS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First off, bought the truck on GM's reputation. Decent design, good comfort, but performance, and gas mileage is something to be desired. I had a '96 Nissan 4 banger that would run circles around this GMC. Come on guy's get with it.

Favorite Features

Comfort, and audio system.

Suggested Improvements

More power, and better gas mileage. Try to get a little more room behind the seat.

My Work truck
By joe

2003 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SLS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Since I have had my Sonoma, I have gotten avg. of 26mpg. The power of the 4 cyl engine leaves to be desired, however, it is a good crusing truck and rides very nice. It is sporty looking and really fun to drive.

Favorite Features

AM/FM cd, cruise, automatic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Make the 4.3 V-6 standard equipment.